Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

University General Chat

(1/24) > >>

Sine:
University General Chat
What is this thread for?
Welcome to the University general chat thread. ;D This thread is for anything University-related from any university. If you have general questions, ask them here. If you don't know where to ask something, ask it here. If you want to vent about your day at uni, do it here. If you want to chat about your subjects, do it here. Basically, whatever you want - this is the place for it. 👌 For more specific discussion there are threads available for particular universities.

Who can post here?
Anybody! Most will be current students at the university, but even if you're considering studying at university in the future, you're absolutely more than welcome to post! Providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Just note that to ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and it's completely free!
GENERAL UNIVERSITY RESOURCESCLICK ME!INTRODUCTION TO UNIVERSITY:
* Making the most of university [guide]
* How university works. The point of this thread is to get you up to speed on how university actually works, answering any questions first-year students (or older) could possibly have.
* First year university checklist. A concise summary of some of the major terms you might come across in your first days, weeks and months at uni.
* Choosing universities: a beginner's guide.
* VET FEE-HELP explained.
* HECS-HELP and what your careers counsellor won't talk about.
* What's the best way to pay off uni fees?
* What's a university lecture actually like?

GENERAL UNIVERSITY:
* Moving interstate for uni: is it worth it?
* Week 4 uni getting you down? Read this!
* Writing a university thesis.
* Guide to academic writing.
* The uni and course for you: a guide for prospective students
* Have you considered taking a gap year?

FACULTY-SPECIFIC GUIDES:
* What's first year Biomedicine really like?
* What's first year Medicine really like?
* Taking the long road to Law.
* The benefits of an Arts degree - by a current Law student.
* Beyond the end goal: lessons learnt from higher education (Science).
* What's the difference between Legal Studies and Law?
* Difference between undergrad and postgrad Law.
* Communications/Media Q&A.
* Engineering Q&A.
* First year uni maths questions.
* Differences between Bachelor of Biomed and Bachelor of Science.

ACADEMIC GUIDES:
* How to write a university essay.
* How do you get High Distinctions?
* Students who consistently achieve H1s/HDs, how do you do it?

DISCUSSION TOPICS:
* Rank your university units from favourite to least favourite.
* Things I wish I knew about first year uni.
* Is a Bachelor of Arts useless?
* Misconceptions (and truths) about uni life.
* I don't know what to study at uni - help!
* If you weren't studying what you're studying, what would you be studying?
* Is having a car/licence a must for university life?
* How to uni: a guide.
* Uni. Is it really worth it?
* Does university make you feel like a slave?
* Is a laptop necessary for university?
* I can't seem to make friends at university.
* Should I drop out of university?
* How to make friends at uni?
* University stationery.
* What happens if you do 'badly' in uni?
* Do you even SWOTVAC?

RESULTS:
* University results discussion.
NOT WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?CLICK ME!You might be looking for these other boards:
* General University Discussion and Queries
* The University Journal Journal
* Universities - Victoria
* Universities - New South Wales
* Universities - Faculties

Sine:
Now that the vast majority of university students are studying from home how is everyone finding it?

I had my first zoom tutorial today and it actually worked quite well, however, the tutorial was mainly discussion-based. Tomorrow I am supposed to have an online Anatomy Prac which is basically only going to give us a chance to ask tutors questions. Unfortunately, won't be able to work with the specimens like we normally do.

kauac:
Honestly I have found it a bit challenging (and a little dull  :o).

Not loving being stuck sitting at my laptop for such long periods of time, and I have found it harder to retain information from my lectures (seems to kinda wash over me even though I'm taking notes). I did an online exam today, and it was okay. I also still have anatomy pracs - but they consist of looking at a diagrams and watching a video of the tutor identifying anatomy on a specimen.

On the otherhand, the convenience of the online system is great! Pretty flexible, no travel time, and in the comforts of my own home! I have been using zoom a fair bit - it seems to be fairly helpful, especially since we can ask questions and clarify, like a normal class. Guess this is the best we can do in this current situation!

K888:
I'm in the lucky position that I've been on placement and have been able to finish (this week is my last week) with no issues. Will just have assignments for most of the rest of my last year, with a few weeks of campus attendance required. First scheduled one is around July so hopefully things will be back to normal then! Thankfully this hasn't been super disruptive to me (some friends haven't been as lucky - some places have cancelled placements).

I'm meant to be mentoring 3rd years starting next week so assume that will all be over zoom - hoping to get more info soon because I don't really know how it'll work! It'll be interesting to see how they're coping with such a practical course having to be online.

sweetiepi:
Had my first two Zoom meetings (one was a faculty Q&A because my faculty kinda doesn't do telling us things v well and finally decided to update us lmao, other was with supervisor) today and found them both to be a bit of a complete waste of time- but it's not like I was doing anything else that was mildly productive*?

I don't do this work from home thing very well (and honestly never have), so it'll be a bit of a jump to get myself adjusted :(

*I mean buying 4 km worth of thread and 120 m of fabric (online- also Spotlight have $11 shipping which is a big wtf btw) counts as being productive enough, right??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version