Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:06:29 am

Author Topic: okay sooo someone help me look for my motivation, I think I lost it somewhere...  (Read 5690 times)  Share 

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:49:34 pm by juicebox_441 »

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
I totally get it, I had a crap time in year 11 and 12 too but somehow got through it. I still have trouble with motivation at uni.

I think the only things that got me through it was my HSC journal (On AtarNotes); people telling me that it's ok if you're not happy with your marks, the random congratulations when you get a 70% in an assignment you were struggling with. It was overwhelmingly supportive and it's always good to get things written down when you're stressed or don't want to do anything all day.

Another thing that got me through it was thinking of where I wanted to end up, how I wanted to live my life. I wanted to go to uni and I wanted to study architecture. It's all about setting goals, no matter how short term or long term they are. It doesn't matter if it's 'I'm going to write 300 words for this essay today' because it's something. Make a list, do it bit by bit, don't think of it as a whole assignment or task.

Set time for yourself. I remember by the time I finished year 12 I had lost literally all of my hobbies which I regret. So seriously go do something you used to enjoy, like hiking, reading something that can actually relax you. Hang out with your friends, go for a coffee and chat with an old mate or your parents.

And finally, believe in yourself. You can get through it. I know you will. Graduating high school is this tiny thing in your life, I know it might not seem like it at the moment, but its a step to become who you want to be. Just believe that you'll get there!

I'm not sure how much this helped but I hope to see you finishing school with flying colours at the end of the year. It doesn't matter how good or bad your marks are by the end, it matters if you are satisfied with the effort that you put in. Trust me, I wasn't happy with some of my marks either but I was happy with the amount of effort I put into studying while also maintaining my mental health and physical health.

I believe in you!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:03:18 pm by Caitlynk_22 »
2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
First off, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all this! It sounds like a really tough time. Just wanted to reiterate Caitlynk_22's words and also say that everyone here on AN is here to support you (I know we're internet strangers, but AN is highkey one of the most supportive communities going around). I hope you don't feel alone in your suffering and find some comfort in that a lot of other people have been in your shoes.

I can't really give any subject specific advice because I'm an oldie that finished HS several years ago, but I think a few really good things to do would be:
1) Speak to your teachers about how you're struggling at the moment. They'll have gone through this with many students previously and hopefully be able to give you some good tips
2) Chat to your school counsellor if you have one! You don't have to have diagnosed mental health issues to speak to a counsellor. They'll have heaps of expertise in exactly the sort of stuff you're going through and I think it's really helpful to have someone you can vent to and who can offer some good, impartial advice.
3) Find times for the things you enjoy - life isn't just about school, no matter what anyone else says. Are there any sports or activities you're interested in?
4) Exercise - ties into point 3 but if you're not into any sports, just try to go for regular walks. It's great for clearing your head, you get some alone time, and you get the exercise endorphins :)

Ultimately, all you can do is try your best. It can be incredibly hard, but try to not compare yourself to others. Your journey is yours alone and as long as you make an effort that you're proud of, nothing else matters.

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
I totally get it, I had a crap time in year 11 and 12 too but somehow got through it. I still have trouble with motivation at uni.

I think the only things that got me through it was my HSC journal (On AtarNotes); people telling me that it's ok if you're not happy with your marks, the random congratulations when you get a 70% in an assignment you were struggling with. It was overwhelmingly supportive and it's always good to get things written down when you're stressed or don't want to do anything all day.

Another thing that got me through it was thinking of where I wanted to end up, how I wanted to live my life. I wanted to go to uni and I wanted to study architecture. It's all about setting goals, no matter how short term or long term they are. It doesn't matter if it's 'I'm going to write 300 words for this essay today' because it's something. Make a list, do it bit by bit, don't think of it as a whole assignment or task.

Set time for yourself. I remember by the time I finished year 12 I had lost literally all of my hobbies which I regret. So seriously go do something you used to enjoy, like hiking, reading something that can actually relax you. Hang out with your friends, go for a coffee and chat with an old mate or your parents.

And finally, believe in yourself. You can get through it. I know you will. Graduating high school is this tiny thing in your life, I know it might not seem like it at the moment, but its a step to become who you want to be. Just believe that you'll get there!

I'm not sure how much this helped but I hope to see you finishing school with flying colours at the end of the year. It doesn't matter how good or bad your marks are by the end, it matters if you are satisfied with the effort that you put in. Trust me, I wasn't happy with some of my marks either but I was happy with the amount of effort I put into studying while also maintaining my mental health and physical health.

I believe in you!

This made me feel so much better...Thank you for believing in me! It's always good to hear some good ol' advice from people who have been through it before and know (sorta experts?), so thank you so much for the reply!

I will definitely have to start the goal setting & the time table method, and hope for the better! I'm now interested in the ATAR Notes journal, and thinking I should give it a go?

As you said, holding on to my hobbies is a win-win! (even though I haven't settled on a specific one yet :P)
So thank you Caitlyn, you're a legend  :)

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
First off, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all this! It sounds like a really tough time. Just wanted to reiterate Caitlynk_22's words and also say that everyone here on AN is here to support you (I know we're internet strangers, but AN is highkey one of the most supportive communities going around). I hope you don't feel alone in your suffering and find some comfort in that a lot of other people have been in your shoes.

I can't really give any subject specific advice because I'm an oldie that finished HS several years ago, but I think a few really good things to do would be:
1) Speak to your teachers about how you're struggling at the moment. They'll have gone through this with many students previously and hopefully be able to give you some good tips
2) Chat to your school counsellor if you have one! You don't have to have diagnosed mental health issues to speak to a counsellor. They'll have heaps of expertise in exactly the sort of stuff you're going through and I think it's really helpful to have someone you can vent to and who can offer some good, impartial advice.
3) Find times for the things you enjoy - life isn't just about school, no matter what anyone else says. Are there any sports or activities you're interested in?
4) Exercise - ties into point 3 but if you're not into any sports, just try to go for regular walks. It's great for clearing your head, you get some alone time, and you get the exercise endorphins :)

Ultimately, all you can do is try your best. It can be incredibly hard, but try to not compare yourself to others. Your journey is yours alone and as long as you make an effort that you're proud of, nothing else matters.

I totally agree, I'm blessed to be part of the ATAR Notes community, you guys are honestly awesome!
Speaking to my teachers should help me a lot, so thank you for the advice! I do have a school counsellor, and I'm aiming on booking an appointment sometime this week and see how things go.
It definitely is incredibly pressuring at the moment, but I know in no time things will change step by step.
Thank you for the reply, it made me feel so much better!

somethingeevee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
omg i feel youu !! i related to this so much.
here are some of my tips:
- focus on your mental health; make sure you are mindful, taking breaks and taking care of your body.
- clear out your head by writing down all the things you need to do (priorities first)
- start exercising in the mornings or before studying to feel energised
- make sure you are getting enough sleep !!
- use apps that set restrictions on your phone whilst studying - such as forest !
- clear out your desk space (might sound weird, but it really helps me feel motivated) - make your desk space look aesthetically pleasing, light up a candle, make sure your chair is comfortable!

hope these help <3

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
This made me feel so much better...Thank you for believing in me! It's always good to hear some good ol' advice from people who have been through it before and know (sorta experts?), so thank you so much for the reply!

I will definitely have to start the goal setting & the time table method, and hope for the better! I'm now interested in the ATAR Notes journal, and thinking I should give it a go?

As you said, holding on to my hobbies is a win-win! (even though I haven't settled on a specific one yet :P)
So thank you Caitlyn, you're a legend  :)

No problem and yes I think you should, it's surprising how much it actually helps. I'm on my fourth year of having a journal (My HSC journal, gap year journal and uni journal) and even though I post much less that I used to it is still so helpful. It also gives you a place to go back and look at your year and say wow, look how far I've come. It's amazing seeing the difference.

Glad I could help  :)
2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
omg i feel youu !! i related to this so much.
here are some of my tips:
- focus on your mental health; make sure you are mindful, taking breaks and taking care of your body.
- clear out your head by writing down all the things you need to do (priorities first)
- start exercising in the mornings or before studying to feel energised
- make sure you are getting enough sleep !!
- use apps that set restrictions on your phone whilst studying - such as forest !
- clear out your desk space (might sound weird, but it really helps me feel motivated) - make your desk space look aesthetically pleasing, light up a candle, make sure your chair is comfortable!

hope these help <3

How reassuring it is when someone relates to you- so thank you for the reply!
Love me some stepped out instructions, definitely must follow these immediately  :) Especially the writing down bit, as I found out I feels less intimidating when things I need to follow are down on a piece of paper.
You have no idea how much you've helped, thank you <3

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
No problem and yes I think you should, it's surprising how much it actually helps. I'm on my fourth year of having a journal (My HSC journal, gap year journal and uni journal) and even though I post much less that I used to it is still so helpful. It also gives you a place to go back and look at your year and say wow, look how far I've come. It's amazing seeing the difference.

Glad I could help  :)

I would love to see the "wow, look how far I've come" and since I'm a newbie and have no idea where things go (sorry for being dumb  :P), which thread would the journals go at? Or do I make my own thread? if you don't mind instructing me, thank you Caitlyn!

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
I would love to see the "wow, look how far I've come" and since I'm a newbie and have no idea where things go (sorry for being dumb  :P), which thread would the journals go at? Or do I make my own thread? if you don't mind instructing me, thank you Caitlyn!

Don't apologise for not knowing what you don't know, we all need help sometimes :D

Here are the boards for NSW, QLD and VIC journals respectively. Make your own thread (unless you for some reason want a collaborative journal with someone else? not impossible if every relevant party agrees) and write whatever you want! (within reason, obviously) Hope this goes well for you, and hope everything gets better :D
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
Don't apologise for not knowing what you don't know, we all need help sometimes :D

Here are the boards for NSW, QLD and VIC journals respectively. Make your own thread (unless you for some reason want a collaborative journal with someone else? not impossible if every relevant party agrees) and write whatever you want! (within reason, obviously) Hope this goes well for you, and hope everything gets better :D

Oh thank you so much! Atar Notes, here comes my euphoric journey through yr 12 8) (We definitely don't want a collaborative journal now do we  :D)