Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:45:17 pm

Author Topic: Starting Chemistry in Unit 2.  (Read 1916 times)  Share 

Gamingboy6422

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Starting Chemistry in Unit 2.
« on: March 25, 2022, 10:29:48 pm »
Hi all. I will dropping legal studies at the end of Unit 1, so I can do Chemistry. I was wondering how I can catch up with the Unit 1 content. Any youtubers, notes etc? I do have the digital version of the Heinemann Chemistry 5th edition, so I can work through that. Thanks.

NN900

• Adventurer
Re: Starting Chemistry in Unit 2.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:13:05 pm »
Hi all. I will dropping legal studies at the end of Unit 1, so I can do Chemistry. I was wondering how I can catch up with the Unit 1 content. Any youtubers, notes etc? I do have the digital version of the Heinemann Chemistry 5th edition, so I can work through that. Thanks.

Hello, there
You can catch up on unit 1 contents by going through the practice questions from many different kinds of resources (I reckon ATARNOTEs is the best place to find these and it's usually really helpful). Besides, you can read the study design on VCAA website to understand more about the requirement in Chemistry.

Best of luck!

RaspberryTau

• Trailblazer
  • "I'm just trying to get myself some gravity";
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 11:14:45 am »
+1
Hi!

If your school has Edrolo, try and prompt them to transfer you over if possible. (Although at times boring, it can be a good resource as it has the whole curriculum set out with videos explaining it)

Although I did very little work last year (y11), I was able to get away with it because I had done a lot previously in the areas that matter. For instance, a lot of our class struggled with the "mole". This is **Very** important for vce chem, so definitely make sure ur across this area. 

Not 100% essential for year 11, but memorising ur ions would help tones.

And btw, nanoparticles and all that (as far as I'm aware) don't exist in year 12. So don't stress!

Chem can be a good subject, but it is a bit like learning a language (one that likes using maths).... My 1 piece of advice is to not ignore it for large parts of the year.... doesn't often end well :)

Hope this helps,
VCE 2021: Methods (42 raw), Biology (46 raw); 2022: Chemistry, English, Spec, Physics

Gamingboy6422

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 10:32:50 pm »
Thank you all! My future chemistry teacher has told me that "in their professional opinion, you can't properly self teach yourself the unit 1 content." How true is this?

RaspberryTau

• Trailblazer
  • "I'm just trying to get myself some gravity";
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 05:13:34 pm »
+1
It depends on the person. It is certainly possible - but will require work. If you are doing methods - and are strong at maths - it is a lot easier. Most y12 peoples don't remember half of what they did last year at my school - but the mole and concentration stuff is probably the most part you should learn. Good luck :)
VCE 2021: Methods (42 raw), Biology (46 raw); 2022: Chemistry, English, Spec, Physics