Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:18 pm

Author Topic: Unsure if I should do Hebrew  (Read 6504 times)  Share 

petrifiedofvce

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Unsure if I should do Hebrew
« on: January 04, 2021, 07:29:22 pm »
I am going into year 11 and was interested in doing Hebrew or Latin. I am incredibly interested in both languages but I know that they are both difficult and I have no prior experience in either, however I do know the bare basics. Should I do one of them? If so which one? Or should I stick with not doing a LOTE.
Thanks

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
Re: Unsure if I should do Hebrew
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 08:46:17 pm »
I am going into year 11 and was interested in doing Hebrew or Latin. I am incredibly interested in both languages but I know that they are both difficult and I have no prior experience in either, however I do know the bare basics. Should I do one of them? If so which one? Or should I stick with not doing a LOTE.
Thanks

If you have no prior experience, then I would suggest doing neither. Taking a language at a VCE level usually requires an already quite advanced intermediate knowledge of the language to begin with. Most people will have usually started learning the language at Year 7 or have a background in the language. By the time you're in year 12, you should have relatively advanced knowledge in the languages.

This may be a generalised view of VCE languages but I do find that languages across VCE seem to be consistently relatively advanced. I took up Unit 1 Japanese before dropping it, not knowing if I would be able to handle the subject the entire way through, with relatively good fluency, having done an exchange in Japan for a month.

Hope this helped. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:50:10 pm by rkjthguakj »
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
Re: Unsure if I should do Hebrew
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 09:21:05 pm »
I did French from Year 7 until Year 12. By the time you get to Year 11, you are expected to have a firm grasp of the language in present tense, as well as some in past tense. By the start of Year 12, the average LOTE student should be capable of having their own conversations in their second language. It could be incredibly difficult, no matter which language you take, to learn that much in such a short amount of time.
I understand that there is some appeal to VCE Latin and VCE Hebrew, as they are the highest scaling subject in the Victorian Curriculum, but it's not worth taking this massive risk for a study score bonus.
I would recommend choosing another VCE subject to go on with.
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.