Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:41:32 am

Author Topic: Human Genome Editing Survey  (Read 10540 times)  Share 

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
Re: Human Genome Editing Survey
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
+1
Wow! At the minute I'm looking at the ethics of stem cell research and human cloning for my religion and society class and came to many similar conclusions. On the whole, people are a lot more willing to accept medical uses of these sciences but are resistant to using them for cosmetic reasons.

If I recall correctly, in Homo Deus Yuval Harari Noah argued that most things with a potential downside (such as gene editing, cybernetics, AI, probably a bunch of others) would be unable to be stopped, because we couldn't justify blocking medical research, but once the research is done it won't just be limited to positive uses (cosmetics is mostly neutral, but he talked about examples like building a better soldier).  Made sense to me.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Human Genome Editing Survey
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 06:31:49 am »
+1
If I recall correctly, in Homo Deus Yuval Harari Noah argued that most things with a potential downside (such as gene editing, cybernetics, AI, probably a bunch of others) would be unable to be stopped, because we couldn't justify blocking medical research, but once the research is done it won't just be limited to positive uses (cosmetics is mostly neutral, but he talked about examples like building a better soldier).  Made sense to me.
Yeah. The thought of AI soldiers terrifies me. Once a country does not have to risk any lives to attack another, the nature of war changes significantly.