Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:48:36 pm

Author Topic: need a 30 study score  (Read 4959 times)  Share 

Eevee

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • #Asian Girl
  • Respect: +7
  • School: Suzanne Cory High School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
need a 30 study score
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »
Hey guys,
So I need a 30 minimum to get into my course at Monash. My grades for English is around C+ and so far, Unit 4 is an E+. (yeah I did really badly) (Haven't got the other one back) If I do well on the exam, would it still be possible to get a 30? If not, what can I do from there?
Because studying is cool. God no.

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
Re: need a 30 study score
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »
+1
Just do the best you can for exams, hopefully an A or above gets you in the 30< range.

Also, seeing as you go to a selective school your SAC marks will most likely scale up.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:25:30 pm »
+1
Just do the best you can for exams, hopefully an A or above gets you in the 30< range.

Also, seeing as you go to a selective school your SAC marks will most likely scale up.
It's definitely still very possible to get 30+ in the exam. As noted, don't give too much weight to your raw exam marks, they could definitely shift upwards. You might not even have to do -that- well on the exam (like, a decent effort could get you over the line), but definitely bust your guts and do your best to smash the exam!

You could go into a different course and transfer.

You could take a gap year and repeat English through tafe.

I'd take the first option.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Eevee

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • #Asian Girl
  • Respect: +7
  • School: Suzanne Cory High School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:34:22 pm »
+19
If anyone still is still keeping tabs on this. I got a raw score of 36. Managed to pull an A+ in the exams. (: So don't give up! My D+ in semester 2 got scaled into a B.
Because studying is cool. God no.

lolaishappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Art | English | Math Methods | Physics | Furthers
  • Respect: 0
  • School: BBC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:39 pm »
That is actually really amaazing, congrats ;D
Newb coming through

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 07:33:09 am »
If anyone still is still keeping tabs on this. I got a raw score of 36. Managed to pull an A+ in the exams. (: So don't give up! My D+ in semester 2 got scaled into a B.
Congrats, honestly!

May I ask how one could improve significantly (from C+ to an A in the exam) in such a limited time?

Teach us your ways, Eevee..
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

nat_1577

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +67
  • School: Mater Christi
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 12:41:10 am »
Yeah, the exam is really what counts. As long as you do well on that, you'll be surprised at how much of a difference it can make. In literature, my grades were around 80%-85%, but I did well on the exam and managed a 40. So don't stress about your past sac marks too much, just focus on improving in time for the exam.

vanessa14

• Non-Student
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 05:22:54 pm »
Yeah, the exam is really what counts. As long as you do well on that, you'll be surprised at how much of a difference it can make. In literature, my grades were around 80%-85%, but I did well on the exam and managed a 40. So don't stress about your past sac marks too much, just focus on improving in time for the exam.

My sac marks are a C.. anyway how I could improve analysis for text response?

nat_1577

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +67
  • School: Mater Christi
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:05:07 pm »
+1
My sac marks are a C.. anyway how I could improve analysis for text response?

For text response, a major thing is making sure you incorporate structural elements into your writing. You could start by trying to include one in each paragraph if you're not used to that, and then expand on that as your writing progresses. Your essay should not be purely focused on theme; mentioning the structure of the text can really raise the quality of the essay.

A really easy one to start with is looking at descriptions of the landscape in certain scenes - you can often tie those in with the character's emotions. For example, here's a small excerpt from a Cloudstreet essay I wrote:

"Winton uses the landscape, the “sky bruised with smoke”, to allow Oriel’s innermost pain to manifest in a physical form, and to accentuate the extent of her struggles."

You can use small references to the structure to back up your response to the question - look for symbols and metaphors in the text, juxtapositions, ect.

Once you have done that, group them into categories based on the different themes and ideas of the text so you have an idea of when to use what in different essays.