Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:43:06 pm

Author Topic: Controversial description/topics?  (Read 4479 times)  Share 

zooshki

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Controversial description/topics?
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:01 pm »
Hi again! Sorry for posting so close to my other topic.

I was just wondering how markers will take more controversial topics and descriptions? In particular, I wanted to know how much violence or gore the markers are willing to handle before it is deemed too inappropriate. Is it okay if these things are implied/stated rather than described? (My entire piece is not completely violent/gory, but only deals with a few implied/stated scenes)

Thanks! (And I hope this doesn't sound too weird!)

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: Controversial description/topics?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:00:09 pm »
+2

I was just wondering how markers will take more controversial topics and descriptions? In particular, I wanted to know how much violence or gore the markers are willing to handle before it is deemed too inappropriate. Is it okay if these things are implied/stated rather than described? (My entire piece is not completely violent/gory, but only deals with a few implied/stated scenes)

Hi zooshki!
Most of the time, a marker cannot deduct marks because of a topic you have chosen to write about. However, with that being said, we are told to avoid things like abuse, alcoholism, anorexia and such as they're sensitive. To be on the safer side, I think it is best only to imply rather than to describe and state but it does depend on how you do it. I do think every situation would be different as it depends on how it's done.
Again, sorry to not be of more help, but I would check with your teacher when sending in drafts to make sure its okay.

Hope I helped! And good luck
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:53:27 pm »

Hey, zooshki!

Fascinating subject matter choice! I definitely think it's original and something that may pique the interest of your markers because it is so different. I was wondering if you have read any of Edgar Allan Poe's works. He's one of my favourite writers of all time and certainly worth researching into if you want to branch into psychological horror in your Major Work.

As for your question, I think there needs to be a line drawn at some point when it comes to violence in literature just because it might be, as meerae said, considered inappropriate. The markers will also call up on your journal for investigation if they see you dealing with these topics at an extremity because they may worry about your mental health and whether it has influenced your Major Work negatively.

I think it would be safer if you have implied or stated scenes, as opposed to describing it in detail. You can then justify this as a creative choice in the Reflection Statement, explain why you have taken this approach and highlight its significance in your Major Work craft. Do check in with your Extension 2 teacher and see what their thoughts are. If they feel disturbed and ask you to tone it down a notch, I would recommend taking their advice to maximise your performance with the Major Work  :) I hope this helps! Good luck with it and happy writing ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

zooshki

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:37:29 pm »
Hi zooshki!
Most of the time, a marker cannot deduct marks because of a topic you have chosen to write about. However, with that being said, we are told to avoid things like abuse, alcoholism, anorexia and such as they're sensitive. To be on the safer side, I think it is best only to imply rather than to describe and state but it does depend on how you do it. I do think every situation would be different as it depends on how it's done.
Again, sorry to not be of more help, but I would check with your teacher when sending in drafts to make sure its okay.

Hope I helped! And good luck
meerae :)

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely check with my teacher, but will just state it for now. The scenes aren't in great detail, but the gore is a recurring symbol for a specific theme.

zooshki

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:40:56 pm »
+1
Hey, zooshki!

Fascinating subject matter choice! I definitely think it's original and something that may pique the interest of your markers because it is so different. I was wondering if you have read any of Edgar Allan Poe's works. He's one of my favourite writers of all time and certainly worth researching into if you want to branch into psychological horror in your Major Work.

As for your question, I think there needs to be a line drawn at some point when it comes to violence in literature just because it might be, as meerae said, considered inappropriate. The markers will also call up on your journal for investigation if they see you dealing with these topics at an extremity because they may worry about your mental health and whether it has influenced your Major Work negatively.

I think it would be safer if you have implied or stated scenes, as opposed to describing it in detail. You can then justify this as a creative choice in the Reflection Statement, explain why you have taken this approach and highlight its significance in your Major Work craft. Do check in with your Extension 2 teacher and see what their thoughts are. If they feel disturbed and ask you to tone it down a notch, I would recommend taking their advice to maximise your performance with the Major Work  :) I hope this helps! Good luck with it and happy writing ;D

Angelina  ;D

Thank you for your advice! The gore definitely isn't alarming in that sense–it's more of a recurring symbol. I've seen some Markers Comments from previous years about how gratuitous violence can take away from the story, but I've never really seen such a comment be made about gore. It's definitely not going to be described in such a ghastly way, and is more stated. But I will definitely keep your advice in mind! (and will try to read some Edgar Allen Poe!)