Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:16:47 am

Author Topic: What is a STEEL paragraph ?  (Read 21795 times)  Share 

Sarahxx16

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
What is a STEEL paragraph ?
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:41:56 pm »
Can someone please explain to me what a steel paragraph is and how would I use it to write one for a poem?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: What is a STEEL paragraph ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:17:54 pm »
+5
Hey, Sarahxx16!

STEEL is basically just an acronym to help you structure your body paragraphs in an essay. It is designed to give it a logical flow and order. The letters stand for the following;

Statement
Technique
Example
Effect
Link

If you were to use this structure for a poem, this is how you might execute the response.

Statement- This is an extension of the thesis and introduces the central idea, concept or theme you will be discussing in the paragraph. This is a more conceptual sentence that responds to the essay question and how your idea is relevant to it.
Technique- You would then introduce a technique or literary device that is significant to the poem and, more importantly, the idea in which you are discussing in the paragraph.
Example- This is given in the form of a quote directly from the poem itself and you would explain what the technique essentially does in that quote.
Effect- Here, you would present the effect of that quote and technique on representing the idea. This refers to what the impact is and how it is received by us as readers.
Link- Finally, you would link back to the essay question and reiterate the relevance of your evidence and selected theme it demonstrates to the essay question.

I was wondering if this was a structure suggested by your teacher/s? If it was, what text do you have specifically and what module is it for? This could help mould the structure based on what the module itself is addressing.

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

DPal

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 01:19:11 pm »
When writing a steel paragraph is it okay to talk about two language techniques? For example, I am writing an argument about how having a giant attraction in town will lead to more tourists, and this is down with humour and statistics. Could I talk about both?

DPal

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 01:38:48 pm »
Also can we talk about language techniques in the conclusion of an argument analysis?