Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:43:45 am

Author Topic: Selective School Test Q&A Thread  (Read 76229 times)  Share 

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Selective School Test Q&A Thread
« on: July 02, 2020, 07:49:18 pm »
+11
SELECTIVE SCHOOL TEST Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about Selective School Tests or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask!

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER SELECTIVE SCHOOL RESOURCES
CLICK ME!
For MHS/Mac.Rob/etc.:
*Last minute tips by pi - Last minute tips for the selective school exams
*Good discussion here with input from many users (especially brightsky and appianway) - how to study to get into Melbourne High and Macrob?
*Tips and strategies to prep in general courtesy of pi - Re: how should i study for the melbourne high test???
*Good discussion to year 10 entry with input from many users (especially iamtom and pi) - What do I need to study to get into Melbourne High?
*Essay writing under time tips courtesy of pi - Re: How to write an analytical/creative essay in 15 mins?
*Writing a persuasive essay courtesy of Awesome Username - Guidelines For Writing A Persuasive Essay (Year 8)

For JMSS:
*Interview techniques with input from many users - Interview Techniques

--------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT: In order to ask a question, you will have to click here and make an ATAR Notes account.
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Frostflake

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Selective School Test Q&A Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:05:46 pm »
+1
How would you study effectively for the Maths sections?

MidnightSK_07

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:00 pm »
+1
Hi guys! I have a question regarding the selective entry test. Are there some tips to studying for numerical reasoning in terms of understanding the meaning behind the questions asked?  :)

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:43:50 pm »
+5
Hi MidnightSK_07! Welcome to atarnotes!  ;D

I think the main thing is to make sure you practice a lot, the best way to ensure you understanding the meaning of the question each time is to do many questions and consciously noting what mistakes you are making to ensure you aren't repeating them. Also, numerical reasoning from memory is largely based on pattern recognition and problem solving, so maybe focusing on areas of questions you are weaker in would also help.

hope this helped! feel free to ask any more questions you have  :D

spark1711

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 09:34:22 pm »
+3
How would you study effectively for the Maths sections?
hii!
for me, i prepared for the exams by going to a tuition class that was designed to prepare u for the real exams. We pretty much did a practise exam every week, marked it, then got to ask the teacher questions about the solutions.
so I suggest doing some research and finding a tuition that does these classes near you because the tests are almost the EXACT same format as the real ones and so u know exactly what u r preparing for :)

If you can’t, then i suggest finding practise tests online (i’m pretty sure there r some on the victorian education website), marking them and looking at all the questions you got wrong.
a personal maths tutor makes a HUGE difference as well. They can be expensive, but u should really convince ur parents to get u one (if u don’t have one already).

All of my friends in my selective school had a math tutor or went to a similar tuition to mine so it definitely works.

During Tuition, I would write down all the questions I didn’t get correct (which was A LOT) on a piece of paper and then at home my tutor and I would work through them and she would keep explaining, demonstrating and set up similar questions for me to do until I got the hang of it.
^
that was just my personal methods which really helped (i got a superior on my numerical reasoning and a high average for my mathematics so it DEFINITELY helped to do these things)
sorry if all that stuff was obvious already haha
good luck tho I was stressed to death coz of the exams but somehow made it (i legit guessed half the exam but still got in so don’t worry at all)
anyways good luckk :)
u can do this

Frostflake

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 04:43:20 pm »
hii!
for me, i prepared for the exams by going to a tuition class that was designed to prepare u for the real exams. We pretty much did a practise exam every week, marked it, then got to ask the teacher questions about the solutions.
so I suggest doing some research and finding a tuition that does these classes near you because the tests are almost the EXACT same format as the real ones and so u know exactly what u r preparing for :)

If you can’t, then i suggest finding practise tests online (i’m pretty sure there r some on the victorian education website), marking them and looking at all the questions you got wrong.
a personal maths tutor makes a HUGE difference as well. They can be expensive, but u should really convince ur parents to get u one (if u don’t have one already).

All of my friends in my selective school had a math tutor or went to a similar tuition to mine so it definitely works.

During Tuition, I would write down all the questions I didn’t get correct (which was A LOT) on a piece of paper and then at home my tutor and I would work through them and she would keep explaining, demonstrating and set up similar questions for me to do until I got the hang of it.
^
that was just my personal methods which really helped (i got a superior on my numerical reasoning and a high average for my mathematics so it DEFINITELY helped to do these things)
sorry if all that stuff was obvious already haha
good luck tho I was stressed to death coz of the exams but somehow made it (i legit guessed half the exam but still got in so don’t worry at all)
anyways good luckk :)
u can do this
Thx for the tips!

Leazzzz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:03:07 am »
Hi, I’ve been practicing verbal reasoning questions using practice test questions online and I can’t understand the format for questions like ‘ all misd are pifs, all rifs are tiffs and some hifs are misd’

Any tips for how to solve them quickly  :D

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 01:51:09 pm »
+3
Hi, I’ve been practicing verbal reasoning questions using practice test questions online and I can’t understand the format for questions like ‘ all misd are pifs, all rifs are tiffs and some hifs are misd’

Any tips for how to solve them quickly  :D
I'm pretty sure I drew quick small venn diagrams for them, and if they were really long with like 8 different terminologies (I'm pretty sure there was this huge question in 2017) I just skipped it and came back.
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Leazzzz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 09:45:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure I drew quick small venn diagrams for them, and if they were really long with like 8 different terminologies (I'm pretty sure there was this huge question in 2017) I just skipped it and came back.

thanks for the tip

Leazzzz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 11:57:00 am »
Will it be useful to know standard notation for the mathematics exam?

Example: .000034 = 3.4 x 10 to the power of -5
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:47:42 pm by Leazzzz »

stressed_student88

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 06:59:56 pm »
Hey, I'm applying for Nossal this year and damn am I stressed! I was told by someone that the practise tests on the website that they have are "useless" and that the "test was nothing like the practice ones online" so I was wondering if they really were or not.
THX

Help me now pls

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 09:51:56 am »
Hi everyone, I got an interview for SCHS (Year 11 Entry), well the interview is 1hr 30 mins long. Anyone have any ideas ? :P

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:28:09 am »
Hi! I guess you all know that there’s 3 weeks till the exam. do you guys have any tips on last minute study plans for maths and numerical cause I’m freaking out about the test. Btw I’m new to ATAR notes.  :)

Meg210706

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 02:56:36 pm »
Hi! I guess you all know that there’s 3 weeks till the exam. do you guys have any tips on last minute study plans for maths and numerical cause I’m freaking out about the test. Btw I’m new to ATAR notes.  :)

Which year are you trying out for?? I'm trying out for year 9 and our test is on the 19th :)

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 03:01:09 pm »
+1
Don't freak out, I don't know what to study, if you do practice tests base your study off of the answers you get wrong