Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:13:22 pm

Author Topic: Ranking  (Read 1886 times)  Share 

Synthesis62

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Ranking
« on: March 04, 2022, 09:49:07 pm »
Hi, I’m from WA but the WACE forums is pretty much dead so I thought I’d ask for advice here.

I recently got my first spesh test back (I’m in year 11 currently) and I got 94%. Btw I’m in a weak school around top 50 ranking in the state (WA is a pre small state), but the cohort is moderately strong.

Anyway, there are 2 people above me in the class with the top mark being 98%. I know scores in unit 1 and 2 pretty much don’t matter from a VCE perspective but in WA, we are allowed to apply for universities with our predicted ATAR and I have my eye set on that as a backup.

My teacher is fairly good and he always starts every class with a couple exam questions under timed conditions. He provides good revision materials but other than what I do in class and tutor (but i cover unit 2 spec content there), I don’t study much for spesh since I have 5 other demanding subjects (physics, chemistry, literature, methods, human biology).

Looking for some tips on how to study smarter not harder (as I am taking 6 ATAR) and also which topics of year 11 spesh will overlap going into year 12 (I am looking to try very hard to secure #1 ranking for spesh by that time)

Synthesis62

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Ranking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 02:10:22 am »
Welp I had my second test today on vectors and safe to say I failed so that’s fun ;-;

They changed the test difficulty from 0 to 1000000 :(

RaspberryTau

• Trailblazer
  • "I'm just trying to get myself some gravity";
  • Respect: +6
Re: Ranking
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 09:43:45 pm »
I don't know about WA, but in Victoria this is my understanding:
 - In Year 11, the only thing that matters is that you pass.
 - In year 12, the "ranking" matters more than individual scores.
 - If your sac ranking matches your exam ranking, then all good, and your sac mark will be scaled according to ur exam mark. (This can make those atar predictors rather inaccurate, as your sac score is dependent on ur exam score. So if you got full marks, but 50% on the exam, then your SAC score will drop by heaps)

The general rule of thumb is:
- You don't want someone you will beat on the exam, getting above you in the rankings....

If you end up beating someone ranked above you, their score will be scaled up, and urs down. (I think)

There are many stories of people doing really really well at the end of the year, but their study score can drop like 5 study points because of their sac-marks (compared to others in their cohort).

Sorry to hear about your test. Don't worry, just keep working hard you'll do fine. It's good if its hard, so you are prepared for the exam!

Hope this helps :)
VCE 2021: Methods (42 raw), Biology (46 raw); 2022: Chemistry, English, Spec, Physics