Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 05:14:31 pm

Author Topic: Paper 2 Preparations  (Read 62130 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Paper 2 Preparations
« on: October 13, 2016, 01:07:07 pm »
+12

Well, Paper 1 is done and dusted. How is your hand feeling? Do you think you did well or do you think it could have done better? Any regrets? You should go and celebrate your successes and vent about your frustrations in this thread here, then come back and forget about it all. Why? Because you are only halfway done. Paper 2 is tomorrow! Here are the things you must be doing as part of your Paper 2 prep.

1.   FORGET ABOUT PAPER 1
So let’s stress this again; Paper 1 is done. This should be exciting! Your first HSC exam, behind you, and you survived!

A big mistake that lots of people make in Paper 2 is walking in still worrying about Paper 1. Worrying that they lost marks in their Creative, worried about missing a conclusion in their essay, all that sort of stuff.

Part of your Paper 2 prep should involve getting all of these sorts of thoughts out of your head. You need to head in with a fresh slate. Stressing about an exam that’s already done is not going to do you any favours!

Even if you think you royally screwed up Paper 1, it probably isn’t as bad as you think. I promise, it is all good. Just relax, put it aside, and focus on moving forward and smashing out Paper 2!

2.   PLAN A WHOLE BUNCH OF ESSAYS
Paper 2 is a massively demanding exam. Your hand will get put through some punishment, so it is best to rest it as much as possible while doing your Paper 2 prep. So what’s the best way to work while still resting for the next day? Essay plans.

Yes, we talk about these heaps, but that’s because they work.

Planning out an essay involves just writing down your Thesis, your main ideas, and maybe even your quotes and techniques in dot points, in response to an essay question. This is all very relaxed; grab a past question and plan a response leisurely while you listen to music! Keep it chilled. The goal here isn’t speed, it’s about you considering how you would formulate a response to the question. How would you adapt your essay? How would you organise your ideas?

Paper 2 prep is all about making sure you are ready for as many curveballs as possible, because you’ll probably get at least one. Essay plans are the best way to prepare for these, without killing your hand and your brain in the process.

3.   MEMORISE YOUR QUOTES/ESSAYS
I know there are people out there who won’t have memorised their quotes and essays by the night before Paper 2. I’m guilty of it too; I was still memorising quotes for Module B the night before my exam (and it’s bloody lucky I did, because they ended up specifying a speech…)

Don’t feel despair if you are still memorising. Heaps of people are in the same boat, just hop to it! Write your quotes out, read them from a summary sheet, whatever you need to do to make them stick. Same goes for essays; just do whatever you need to do to get them locked into your head.

Paper 2 prep can seem like trying to squeeze an elephant through the eye of a needle; there’s so much to do but not much time. But you’d be massively surprised just how much you can memorise in one night, if you work consistently and keep your brain fresh.

4.   HAVE A PLAN
Elyse talked about the importance of a plan for Paper 1 yesterday, and I’ll do the same for Paper 2. In fact, it is probably even more important here.

Take 15 minutes in your Paper 2 prep time to consider what order you want to do the exam in. Do you want to do it in order to keep it simple? Want to start with Module C because you know you will smash it! Want to start with Module C because you know you will hate it? No right or wrong answers to these questions, but head in with it set in your mind! You’ve spent all your time on Paper 2 prep, worked hard for so long; make sure you can put it into practice when it counts!

5.   PREPARE EARLY FOR TOMORROW
Don’t forget, even with all your Paper 2 prep, to do the essentials. Ditch the pen you used yesterday and replace it with a fresh one, or add another to your ‘exam pack.’ Make sure you’ve got breakfast ready for the morning. Bottle of water (with no label), phone on silent, wallet and keys. Mad mix tape of ‘get pumped’ songs for the car (no joke, I had a CD I burned specifically for this). Get it all ready tonight so you can keep it relaxed in the morning.

And on top of that, get your rest. Seriously, you are about to do something really tough. There’s no sugarcoating that. Treat your body right and get a good night sleep so that you go into that exam with your best foot forward.  If you are a more math-inclined guy like me, the essays might be boring enough – Don’t make it worse by trusting your tired self to do your exam for you!

6.   BE HAPPY, BE CONFIDENT
Let’s end with the best news you’ll hear all week:

This is the last English exam you will ever sit. Like, EVER.

That statement alone should make you super energised and ready to cheer for joy! Trust me, you will love the feeling of walking out of Paper 2, it is so incredibly liberating to be saying goodbye to high school English essays once and for all.

So this is it! Your retirement match, your lap of honour, your farewell address.

Given that it is your last one, be confident! Be happy! Be excited, be all sorts of good and wonderful things. Because you know what? You worked bloody hard to be sitting there right now, ready to finally end 13 years of English lessons. And do you really want this, the grand finale, everything you’ve worked for, to fizzle out in an anti-climax?

Hell no you don’t.

Let’s finish this guys. And let’s do it with a bang!  ;D

Register for an account here and ask us any last minute questions below!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Paper 2 Preparations
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:34 pm »
+2
This sounds so much like an RBT/fatigue ad lol..
"Dont trust your tired self" and After English, you are going to need a Plan B :D

Great guide though!! I especially royally screwed up Paper 1 but I've had a rant and now thats all behind me :P

Hopefully Paper 2 is kind..

Goodluck for tomorrow everyone!!

snoe

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:59:09 pm »
+4
"This is the last English exam you'll sit"
EXT 1 RIP-

But thank you.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:01:06 pm by snoe »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
+3
"This is the last English exam you'll sit"
EXT 1 RIP tho

Bud, you chose extension 1, you did that to yourself :P (nah massive props to you, I could never manage more than 2 units of English)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

AFix

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »
+1
Does anyone know if Paper 1 and Paper 2 are both equally weighted?

kavinila

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Strathfield Girls HS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:04:21 pm »
thankfully, this is a plan I can work by considering I don't like memorising essays as such.
thanks Jamon, this really helps, especially to know that memorising an essay isn't the only way to get by.

Good luck to you all! :)

snoe

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:04:52 pm »
Bud, you chose extension 1, you did that to yourself :P (nah massive props to you, I could never manage more than 2 units of English)

(Oh how I know it)
My fantastic life decisions strike again. :')

(Well, you seem to manage quite a lot of everything else  :P so back at ya)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 07:06:15 pm »
Does anyone know if Paper 1 and Paper 2 are both equally weighted?
I'm fairly sure no. I think they just add the marks to give a total mark out of 105, then use a calculator (i.e. excel or something) to convert it to a mark out of 100.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 07:08:15 pm »
I'm fairly sure no. I think they just add the marks to give a total mark out of 105, then use a calculator (i.e. excel or something) to convert it to a mark out of 100.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Paper 1 is worth 40% Paper 2 is worth 60%

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:11:36 pm »
Paper 1 is worth 40% Paper 2 is worth 60%
I remember I used to believe that. Think someone told me otherwise at one point.

Paper 1 being weighted 40% doesn't really make the /45 convenient. Although I still wouldn't be surprised is that were true. Elyse?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 07:19:51 pm »
+1
I remember I used to believe that. Think someone told me otherwise at one point.

Paper 1 being weighted 40% doesn't really make the /45 convenient. Although I still wouldn't be surprised is that were true. Elyse?

I'm fairly sure the papers are weighted 40/60, but I can't find a proper source confirming that! Typical Board of Studies being all mysterious and shit

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 07:21:42 pm »
I'm fairly sure the papers are weighted 40/60, but I can't find a proper source confirming that! Typical Board of Studies being all mysterious and shit
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it were. My memory's gone a bit fuzzy in this area.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22:23 pm »
+1
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it were. My memory's gone a bit fuzzy in this area.

Now I'm getting multiple, reliable sources telling me different things. God dammit BOSTES, pick up your game

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 07:25:58 pm »
+3
Now I'm getting multiple, reliable sources telling me different things. God dammit BOSTES, pick up your game

Can confirm: Paper one is worth 40%, Paper two is worth 60%

Source HERE, page 18.

taylahines