Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 10:52:02 pm

Author Topic: Creative writing help  (Read 5399 times)  Share 

Hawraa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Creative writing help
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:21:43 pm »
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing great.
Guys I need your urgent help please. Our assessment is about creative writing, and we've been asked to write a story of approximately 1000 words, or it can be part of a story (e.g. just the climax). It should be about one of the main themes from the film (The Truman Show). In case you don't know the movie, some of the themes are:
Power/control
Searching for the truth
Truth vs. Reality
Breaching of privacy
Being under surveillance
Utopia/dystopia

So pleeease I need some help, I'm desperate for an idea.
Thanks in advance everyone.

stella_atarnotes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
Re: Creative writing help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:06:58 am »
+1
Guys I need your urgent help please. Our assessment is about creative writing, and we've been asked to write a story of approximately 1000 words, or it can be part of a story (e.g. just the climax). It should be about one of the main themes from the film (The Truman Show). In case you don't know the movie, some of the themes are:
Power/control
Searching for the truth
Truth vs. Reality
Breaching of privacy
Being under surveillance
Utopia/dystopia

Hey! I reckon the easiest would be to choose a theme rather than a part of the Truman Show, as this opens you up to a range of idea. A piece of advice that a teacher of mine gave to me worked out really great for a lot of students. This was back when the area of study was still discovery and my teacher recommended that we choose a historical event that we were interested in, it didn't have to be a super significant event, and tell it in the point of view of a character, or 2 characters if you can write it well. Writing creatives this way helps you avoid a lot of creative mistakes (e.g. being too boring, writing about your everyday mundane life, having inaccurate/unrealistic creatives). For example, I wrote about a teenage boy enlisted in the army during WW2 who was confronted with the fragility of human life. Other good creatives that came out of writing in this method was the detonation of the atomic bomb written from Truman's daughter's perspective (daughter discovers truth about her father/country), the controversial death of a cricketer (can't remember who exactly) who was discovered to be cheating on his wife written from the perspective of the wife reliving old memories, a young Afghan Taliban faced with realizing that he was being controlled and destroying his heritage.

Remember to choose a snapshot of the event, and don't try to fit too much time/events into your creative, you won't fit it all in 1000 words! There's definitely great themes you can work with from the Truman show. The ones like power/control and truth/reality are extremely adaptable to a lot of historical events. Good luck!   

superstudent20

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
+2
Power/control
Searching for the truth
Truth vs. Reality
Breaching of privacy
Being under surveillance
Utopia/dystopia

Hi,
 I'm superstudent02 and I'm not sure that I can be of much help to you but I'll do my best.

So for my assessment task we done a similar thing but instead we had to include themes and concepts from Dylan Thomas's poems where we analysed language techniques and other stuff. So my assessment task needed to include a creative writing piece of about 800 words inspired by an image and themes consistent with texts studied and a reflection/justification on our creative writing. So I understand your having trouble with writing the creative story, so did I, I'm more of a persuasive text person and it took me forever to write a story but one main thing that my teacher said to really help start writing was to first find a motif. I suggest an object or cultural piece which is symbolic to you and holds sentimental value, then come up with an event or time and start writing the scene and your motif.

As stella_atarnotes mentioned, don't fill too many events in one story as it would seem to compact and rushed. As I said having a central motif really helps build the story and the characters. So my teacher advised us not to write the theme in our story but to later on when the story is done to kind of adapt and mold the themes into your story as like symbolism. Also to just to think about when writing your story, keep in mind the language and visual techniques used in the film so you can kind of use it to benefit your story and adds another layer of depth. Usually English teachers love when you include your studied text in your writing, it shows that you really paid attention and analysed your given text type.

I think that's about it, I don't really have much more to say other than don't make your story fit the theme but instead have the theme fit in your story, if that even makes any sense. Also last thing to mention, research and find other creative writing stories as this will help you find inspiration. If your interested I can show you the creative story that I wrote for my assessment task so you can kind of see how the themes are integrated in the story. And I'm happy to give you feedback on your story if you need.  :)

I hope this helps :D
   Good Luck!

Hawraa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:01:48 am »
Hey! I reckon the easiest would be to choose a theme rather than a part of the Truman Show, as this opens you up to a range of idea. A piece of advice that a teacher of mine gave to me worked out really great for a lot of students. This was back when the area of study was still discovery and my teacher recommended that we choose a historical event that we were interested in, it didn't have to be a super significant event, and tell it in the point of view of a character, or 2 characters if you can write it well. Writing creatives this way helps you avoid a lot of creative mistakes (e.g. being too boring, writing about your everyday mundane life, having inaccurate/unrealistic creatives). For example, I wrote about a teenage boy enlisted in the army during WW2 who was confronted with the fragility of human life. Other good creatives that came out of writing in this method was the detonation of the atomic bomb written from Truman's daughter's perspective (daughter discovers truth about her father/country), the controversial death of a cricketer (can't remember who exactly) who was discovered to be cheating on his wife written from the perspective of the wife reliving old memories, a young Afghan Taliban faced with realizing that he was being controlled and destroying his heritage.

Remember to choose a snapshot of the event, and don't try to fit too much time/events into your creative, you won't fit it all in 1000 words! There's definitely great themes you can work with from the Truman show. The ones like power/control and truth/reality are extremely adaptable to a lot of historical events. Good luck! 

Hi again, thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry for replying so late but I got so busy with school.
So I wrote one story about power but my teacher and friends gave me similar feedback that it is too long, complicated, not really clear. and so, I wrote another one, also about the theme of power, and my teacher actually loved it. He suggested that I use pathetic fallacy to improve my imagery and metaphors, but I have no idea about it, we've never used it before. so if anyone could plz help me with it, that would be really awesome :).
I'll attach my story, if you could read it and tell me what you think about it, I'd really appreciate it.
Many thanks guys :)