Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:12:16 am

Author Topic: year 12 subject selection help, could use some advice  (Read 3152 times)

Inazuma11

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
year 12 subject selection help, could use some advice
« on: August 06, 2020, 03:34:13 pm »
so right now im in year 11 doing english, methods, physics, general maths, business and biology. im probably gonna drop business, just because of how boring it is imo. i was going to pick up psychology instead as i heard its a lot of fun in year 12. also im gonna drop general maths because it feels like a waste doing methods and general maths, plus 2 bound references seems like too much effort. so anyways, i was thinking of dropping bio and picking up wood, as it gives me extra time to spend on my other subjects like methods and physics. im also worried that if i do bio it might affect my ss as im not very good at it, plus the extra time studying will bring down my other subjects. but i wasnt sure that if i drop bio, i might not be able to get into as many courses, because i dont have a 2nd science. (not sure if psyche actually counts a science in vce) so if i did wood instead of bio, are there still a lot of courses i can do? or is it limited because im missing another science? just trying to keep my options open, thanks in advance.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: year 12 subject selection help, could use some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 04:51:14 pm »
+2
Subjects usually depend on two main things: (1) subjects you enjoy and (2) subjects that you'll require as prerequisites for courses beyond VCE.

i was going to pick up psychology instead as i heard its a lot of fun in year 12.
Instead of just hearsay, I would recommend that you check out the Psychology study design to confirm that this is something you'd like to study.

i might not be able to get into as many courses, because i dont have a 2nd science. (not sure if psyche actually counts a science in vce) so if i did wood instead of bio, are there still a lot of courses i can do? or is it limited because im missing another science?
Biology, strangely enough, is not really a prerequisite for any courses AFAIK, so not doing it will not heavily disadvantage you in terms of getting into any courses, if that's what you're concerned about. If there's a science that's a prerequisite, it's usually Chemistry (e.g. for undergraduate medicine in Victoria and some chemistry-related courses like chemical engineering) or, on an off chance, Physics (e.g. for some engineering courses).

Doing two sciences is helpful if your main goal uses those areas e.g. you study physics and chemistry because it'll be useful for doing an engineering degree later on, but is not a requirement for any courses as far as I'm aware. (May also be helpful for middle band/ subject bonuses in some cases, but I wouldn't do a subject purely for that.)

tl;dr: Doing or not doing 2 sciences doesn't really mess with your chances of entry into tertiary education, if that's what you mean.   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread