Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:00 am

Author Topic: Should I do English Literature and mainstream English?  (Read 4607 times)  Share 

am3299

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I do English Literature and mainstream English?
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:58:05 pm »
+1
Hi! (this is my first post and I doubt I'll get a reply, but I couldn't find something similar so I decided to post)
I am currently doing English 1/2 (mainstream) and it's pretty much as I expected (not excited about those 3 essays in 3 hrs doe  :P). I originally chose main English because I was unsure about English Lit.

I really like creative writing (sort of want to write a book  8)) and I really like poetry (analysing and writing it, also got shortlisted for a random comp back in 2019 when I did a poetry/lit related elective) as well, which I know is the basis of Eng Lit. What I don't really like is Lit theories, like psychoanalytic theory or feminist theory (I can't really wind my head around it  :'() and I also dislike reading the Lit books because of the confounding language.

In the Selective High School exam, I did well in Reading Comprehension and Verbal Reasoning, which is understandable because I am English orientated, but I still don't know what English VCE would be best suited for me if I was good at that (I think those tests are mostly analysis and inference skills?) Of course, I know I can't rely on my test results either, so I just guessed and went with main Eng.

Rn, I am thinking of changing Chemistry 1/2 to Eng Lit 1/2, but people in my school are strongly suggesting I do not do two Englishes, bc v stressful :[, and idk apparently it just is a bad idea? I think it is super time consuming and a lot of effort, so people suggest against it (but diff schools are diff in English Vce, I'm mostly worried I'll regret changing because of the difficulty) and I've kept chem this whole time because I wanted to leave the med career open (prereqs), but I doubt just using a subject, that I don't particularly enjoy, for a prospective career is useful.

(I think there is an option to do Eng 1/2 and Lit 1/2 by switching in Semester 2, but idk and uh it sounds a bit risky)
Also, I am doing (Year 11)

Bio 3/4 (2nd fav sub)
Psych 3/4 (Legal 3/4) (but I am currently in the process of trying to change to Legal 3/4 bc my careers mostly deviate towards law based on Morrisby career test, and I find it more interesting than psych)
German 1/2 (not that great at it, but still my fav subject and I really wish I did more languages because I love language :))
Methods 1/2 (maths is ok)
English 1/2 (everything said up there)
Chemistry 1/2 (not very good nor interested though  :()

Also, I am trying out for debating this year (I've always wanted to try, but never did, and now I feel it is more urgent because it is helpful for law), which is very late compared to other people trying out, and I have zilch debating experience, but just throwing it out there: any good debating tips?  :D

Thank you to anyone for their help! Even no help is fine, this is super fun just talking to nice ppl  :)
thx  ;D

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Should I do English Literature and mainstream English?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 09:25:58 pm »
+1
Hey! Bit of a late reply so I hope this is still relevant for you.

I really like creative writing (sort of want to write a book  8)) and I really like poetry (analysing and writing it, also got shortlisted for a random comp back in 2019 when I did a poetry/lit related elective) as well, which I know is the basis of Eng Lit. What I don't really like is Lit theories, like psychoanalytic theory or feminist theory (I can't really wind my head around it  :'() and I also dislike reading the Lit books because of the confounding language.
You seem to have a strong background in English and writing! Literary perspectives is definitely something a lot of students struggle with - you certainly won't be alone. As for language, it really depends on what sort of texts you get. A lot of literature texts actually use quite easy and straightforward language.

Rn, I am thinking of changing Chemistry 1/2 to Eng Lit 1/2, but people in my school are strongly suggesting I do not do two Englishes, bc v stressful :[, and idk apparently it just is a bad idea? I think it is super time consuming and a lot of effort, so people suggest against it (but diff schools are diff in English Vce, I'm mostly worried I'll regret changing because of the difficulty) and I've kept chem this whole time because I wanted to leave the med career open (prereqs), but I doubt just using a subject, that I don't particularly enjoy, for a prospective career is useful.
Chem is definitely useful in keeping many pathways open (as someone who had to go into 3/4 without any 1/2 foundations after I realised too late my course had chem as a prereq - I would recommend thinking twice about dropping it). At the same time I don't think doing 2 English subjects is a bad idea as an English must be in your top 4, so it could be helpful in boosting your ATAR. Whether or not it's stressful will depend on whether or not you like writing a lot of essays ;)

Also am I reading it right? You're doing three 3/4s in year 11?

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU