Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:24:58 am

Author Topic: Anyone still here? Or is this place pretty much dead like Latin's dead? XD  (Read 5547 times)  Share 

FitzUnknown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: HCC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Just wanted to see if anyone will reply....
I'm new to atarnotes, and doing Latin now :)
Going to do my school's trial exam tomorrow (and mostly wing it/rely on work done throughout the and my good old brain ::))
So yeah, just curious as to whether I can find a cohort/ally/competitor-enemy here  ;D
Hello hello la la la  :D

TheAspiringDoc

Re: Anyone still here? Or is this place pretty much dead like Latin's dead? XD
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:42:28 pm »
Just wanted to see if anyone will reply....
I'm new to atarnotes, and doing Latin now :)
Going to do my school's trial exam tomorrow (and mostly wing it/rely on work done throughout the and my good old brain ::))
So yeah, just curious as to whether I can find a cohort/ally/competitor-enemy here  ;D
Referring to OP's sig:
It's just their sig they added in..
As for subjects seen on people's profile on their actual profile page, they added them through profile settings.

Sorry for going off topic  ::)

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:08:27 pm »
I did one unit of Latin at Monash and omg I died. 1st-5th declensions and pretty much basic latin in 1 semester. I passed the unit though, which is what I wanted. I defs could have done better but I was pretty bad at learning the language, like not enough parsing and shit. I literally learnt the 5th declension 5 mins before my test, by repeating it. Lucky it's the easiest haaha.

Wasnt too bad at vocab though, grammar killed me
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

FitzUnknown

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:24:08 pm »
Referring to OP's sig:
It's just their sig they added in..
As for subjects seen on people's profile on their actual profile page, they added them through profile settings.

Sorry for going off topic  ::)
Ah thanks!
But I also couldn't find where I can modify my subjects in profile settings....
And I don't think Latin was an option when I signed up here hahaha (is that how dead we are XD)

FitzUnknown

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »
I did one unit of Latin at Monash and omg I died. 1st-5th declensions and pretty much basic latin in 1 semester. I passed the unit though, which is what I wanted. I defs could have done better but I was pretty bad at learning the language, like not enough parsing and shit. I literally learnt the 5th declension 5 mins before my test, by repeating it. Lucky it's the easiest haaha.

Wasnt too bad at vocab though, grammar killed me
I see  :)
I started Latin in year 7 (I came to Australia in year 7 and did Latin on my own doing zero assessments for a bit, since it was the middle of the semester I think (the other kids at my school started in year 3). My school has this little program where u basically do a bit more LOTE and English/Lit and I joined in year 8, mostly just because I thought Latin was fun :P

To be honest I never learnt the 5th declension properly, and I also can't tell you the full conjugation of any verb in any tense, except the ones I learnt in my first book in year 7......(which I'm afraid I shall remember until my death???)
But yeah, for me the really really technical things actually started to matter less as I moved to higher levels (and got lazier about them)—I think it's all fine as long as you're building up experience with reading & translation, and noting some special cases, and for me being reasonably familiar with all the grammar was enough  :P
Until year 12 I did still learn everything and especially just before the test like you XD

It would be different doing it at uni though. Did you go through all the grammar in one semester?

I am currently tempted to continue with a bit of Latin at uni, maybe just as an elective, because after the VCE exam I am now feeling this tiny sense of loss that my years of work is all over just like that....haha
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:15:35 pm by FitzUnknown »

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 01:59:28 am »
Yeah I pretty much did it as an elective as well, because I had first year units left to do and I did do latin in year 7 and 8.

We covered a large portion of the 'basic' grammar in one semester, from what I was told semester 2 was just expanding on it. That said, like I mentioned if I werent so lazy at parsing and actually taking the time to remember the declensions and rules and all I would have done better.

But I did Latin 1, as in from scratch, whereas if you've done it for VCE then you'd start at a higher level. I think there's only 3 years worth at Monash though, but they'll allocate you accordingly.
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.