Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:26:40 am

Author Topic: less significant characters in essay question  (Read 2176 times)  Share 

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
less significant characters in essay question
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:52:31 pm »
the title doesnt make much sense but i couldnt fit what i wanted

now my question is. to achieve high marks, is it without a doubt necessary to include a range of minor characters as well in your essays? i ask this because not because i dont have anything to say about them, but more because i run out of time enough as it is, and i normally dont get around to fitting them in properly. to get a good mark, do you really need to fit them in some how?

for example in a man for all seasons.. am i in trouble if i write an essay entirely on more, cromwell and rich, and ignore the other characters? for a part 2 this is. or does it depend on the essay topic (well obviosuly its does. but i mean as a rule, where no characters are referred, do you still need to bring in random ones?)

its probably hard to get an answer for this but id just like some kind of idea

Odette

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:38 am »
I'm not too sure actually, but I don't think so, it would all depend on your interpretation of the text, as to whether or not you see that particular character as a good example to use in answering the essay topic.
Hope that helps a little :)

choc_bananas

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: less significant characters in essay question
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:19:03 am »
Quote from: "melanie.dee"

for example in a man for all seasons.. am i in trouble if i write an essay entirely on more, cromwell and rich, and ignore the other characters? for a part 2 this is. or does it depend on the essay topic (well obviosuly its does. but i mean as a rule, where no characters are referred, do you still need to bring in random ones?)

I think if you wrote on 'A Man for All Seasons' and didn't mention the Common Man you would be in serious trouble! He is integral to every aspect of the play.
b]History is the only laboratory we have in which to test the consequences of thought.[/b]
 - Etienne Gilson

Markos

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:25:20 am »
My english teacher put on a lecture for the texts we're studying and in the quiet american talk, she said to mention minor characters in my response. She said it'll give my essay something to stand out from most of the other essays assessors... In a good way, I'd think.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:27:46 am »
I think you should, if it's relevant to the question being asked.

e.g. in Accidental Tourist I'd mention Mrs. Dugan even though she's a minor character, because she plays a part in how Muriel sees herself.

e.g. Lantana - I might mention Claudia even though she's pretty minor, because she seems to be the "voice of conscience" in the film
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]