Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:07:06 pm

Author Topic: I'm Not Scared Essay opinions  (Read 22619 times)  Share 

Michael

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
I'm Not Scared Essay opinions
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:28:57 am »
Hi all.
I've just done a Part 1 essay on I'm Not Scared within the 1 hour time limit, and I'm wondering if I could get any opinions or a mark out of 10 if possible?
Thanks.
=================================================
Topic: "Michele's parents see him only as a child and underestimate how perceptive and sensitive he is."

In I'm Not Scared, Michele is an innocent victim of the adults of Acqua Traverse. This young child possesses a high sense of morality which is clearly demonstrated through his caring nature, yet his parents fail to see these qualities in his character. Not only are his parents oblivious to the caring nature that their son exhibits, but they reluctantly place their own child in danger for their own benefit.

Michele did not want to lose his race, but his moral qualities prevented him from pursuing victory. Seeing that Maria had been "swallowed up by the wheat", Michele could not just leave his sister behind, when after all, he was her "big brother." By doing this it was clear to Michele that he would lose the race, but he knew that he had a high level of responsibility to nurture his sister when she is in need. Michele, like the other children of the group, was intimidated by the bully Skull, whose sadistic nature seemed to be centered around a sexual perversion towards Barbara. Despite this 'power' of Skull, Michele knew that Skull's perversion went too far when he demanded Barbara show the group her "slit." Michele honestly disliked Barbara like the others, referring to the group's outcast as a "demented sow." Regardless of his feelings, Michele insisted that he wanted to do the "forfeit", even though he was unaware of what Skull would have him do. Michele's actions on these childhood adventures were nothing short of courageous and were highly reflective of his sense of right and wrong.

Michele was an innocent child who believed that Acqua Traverse was part of a non-violent world. Michele did indeed want to move to the "North" to escape the poverty in the "South", but expected his hard-working father would raise enough money through his job. Being highly respective and idolistic of his father, Michele was often excited when his father was home: "Papa's home!" This relationship consisted of a high level of trust, and Michele truly believed that his father would "tell [him] everything." The innocent child was highly suspicious and watchful of Pino after he refused to even listen to Michele when he clearly had something important to tell him: "I've got something to..." Pino may not have believed that Michele realised the change in his character, but the perceptive nature of Michele meant he could not ignore such an event.

Michele was horrified on finding the young Filippo in such inhumane conditions. Despite his fear, Michele did not leave the poor and defenceless child in the hole to fend for himself. Believing he was living in a harmonius world, Michele could not understand how such a young boy had ended up in a hole which was dark and "full of flies." Even more shocking to Michele was the horrific condition of Filippo, who was "caked with mud and shit" and barely clinging to life. Michele found it difficult to comprehend what any one would want with a "barmy little boy", but he realised Filippo needed to be cared for otherwise he would die. In an extremely courageous move, Michele accepted the responsibility of taking care of Filippo regardless of the risks he knew were involved. The brave child not only fed Filippo with his own left-overs, but he even washed his face. Such acts by such a young boy are clearly brave and reflect Michele's deep sense of moral values which his parents failed to see.

Pino was focused on ensuring his kidnapping goes to plan, but by doing so he failed to realise the effect his actions would have on Michele. His parents may not have believed so, but Michele realised that Sergio was an extremely dangerous man. Being understandably frightened by the "old man['s]" mannerisms, Michele pleaded with his parents that "[he] doesn't want to sleep with that man." Michele had valid reasons to be afraid of such a man, who spent time in prison and had likely committed violent acts in the past: "That bitch paid for it." Michele's pleas were unfounded as a result of his parents' ignorance towards the situation; his parents stating they have had "enough" of him when it is in fact their own actions which have caused Michele's pleas. Being forced to sleep with one eye open, Michele's fears that Sergio will "take [him] away" were certainly viable possibilities given his tendency to commit violence. Michele immediately sensed potential danger with this career criminal, a trait that his parents failed to believe he could possess given he was just a child.

I'm Not Scared clearly depicts the consequences when parents fail to believe in the abilities of their own child. The innocent Michele did not believe that such violent acts were possible in the world, especially towards a child. Although Michele did not understand the complexity of the situation, he nevertheless was willing to take risks necessary in order to care for the frail Filippo. His parents did not realise it, but through his actions Michele is certainly not scared.
2007 ENTER: 95.00

------
Information Systems: 41 --> 39

------
English: 39
Maths Methods: 35 ---> 41
I.T Applications: 49
Physics: 33 --> 36
Chemistry: 29 --> 33

Odette

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:31 am »
Well i haven't studied this text, but it seems like a good response :)
I'd give it about 7-8/10

bilgia

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:31 am »
i think the issues about michele's childish innocence is very much underestimated with respect to his fears about "ogres, witches...which would throw [him] in the hole and eat me" which is a very sensitive side of Michele throughout the novel.
His father sees Michele as weak so to speak, he feels Michele's muscles and doesnt see any "improvement"...and  also says "its men you should be afraid of not monsters.." thinking that Michele is just another child to fall into this trap
Michele notices a plate missing at home and finds it with filippo and manages to make some connection with this displaying his perceptiveness
His father thinks he can bribe Michele with the "red dragon" bicycle but doesnt succeed with doing that.. when he sees the adults playing "soldiers draw" he says "i shut the door, i knew that game" having understood the serious events that would unfold <-- not something a child would do
His mother too is constantly frustrated with Michele's behaviour as she says 'please...we've got so much to deal with and now you start" emphasizing her misinterpretation of Michele's perceptions.

and also ...i dont know where this came from
 "but they reluctantly place their own child in danger for their own benefit."
they do not think their son is involved with anything dangerous and certainly don't want him to come to hard...take the scene with felice for example in which teresa fought with felice to protect her son

You seem to have missed a few good points which would have made it better. i would give that a 6-7
My Subjects:
2006 I.T Systems --> 42
2007 English --> 40
         Methods --> 41
         Spec --> 38
         Chem --> 36
         Physics --> 37
         Unimaths --> 5.5

ENTER: 97.35

BA22

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 02:53:24 pm »
Quote from: "bilgia"
i think the issues about michele's childish innocence is very much underestimated with respect to his fears about "ogres, witches...which would throw [him] in the hole and eat me" which is a very sensitive side of Michele throughout the novel.
His father sees Michele as weak so to speak, he feels Michele's muscles and doesnt see any "improvement"...and  also says "its men you should be afraid of not monsters.." thinking that Michele is just another child to fall into this trap
Michele notices a plate missing at home and finds it with filippo and manages to make some connection with this displaying his perceptiveness
His father thinks he can bribe Michele with the "red dragon" bicycle but doesnt succeed with doing that.. when he sees the adults playing "soldiers draw" he says "i shut the door, i knew that game" having understood the serious events that would unfold <-- not something a child would do
His mother too is constantly frustrated with Michele's behaviour as she says 'please...we've got so much to deal with and now you start" emphasizing her misinterpretation of Michele's perceptions.

and also ...i dont know where this came from
 "but they reluctantly place their own child in danger for their own benefit."
they do not think their son is involved with anything dangerous and certainly don't want him to come to hard...take the scene with felice for example in which teresa fought with felice to protect her son

You seem to have missed a few good points which would have made it better. i would give that a 6-7

Agree, you haven't thoroughly dealt with the topic

Defiler

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:42:21 pm »
The response is well structured but you 'tell' the story far too often. The conclusion is also rather poor after the first sentence. That being said, good use of quotes and vocab, you used the term 'moral' a lot which is always a good thing... for the most part an above average essay. 7/10.