Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:29:55 am

Author Topic: Dictionaries  (Read 1854 times)  Share 

HarveyD

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
Dictionaries
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:09:05 pm »
Posted this in the French forum but didnt get a reply..so thought I'd try here since I assume it must be the same for all LOTEs

Is there a restriction of dictionaries we're allowed to use in the exam?
i.e. would i be allowed to bring in the one I own which has conjugations for irregular verbs

Menang

Re: Dictionaries
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:23:45 pm »
From the VCAA 2010 Exam Navigator:

LOTE Examinations:
Written component
•  Any monolingual and/or bilingual printed dictionary in one or two separate volumes.
Note: The dictionary must not contain any highlighting or annotation or tabs not part of the original publication. A thesaurus is not permitted. Electronic dictionaries are not permitted.

It doesn't say anything about conjugations or additional notes, so it sounds like it should be alright.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:29:49 pm »
I dont think they'll actually check, like they'll just flick through the dicctionary and see if anything falls out, check for highlighting.... But it depends on the ppl who check it i suppose. Just take another one in case!

Spheniscidaphile

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:14 am »
I took the mid-sized (compact plus) Collins-Robert into the french exam.  My teacher (former chief examiner) and the invigilator on the day both had a look and were ok with it. 

it's got quite a bit of info in the supplement, irregular/regular verb tables, how to write a letter, email etc and the forms for subjunctive constructions.  But it's not a dedicated grammar section, just a supplement, which i think is the point.

Dico with detailed grammar section = no
Dico with a couple of verb tables = yes