Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:41 pm

Author Topic: Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students  (Read 130390 times)  Share 

Hiea

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
Re: Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2017, 03:20:22 pm »
Hi!  ;D

I was just wondering: are the JLPT levels a good measure of how well you'll do in VCE? If so, what would each level more or less translate to as a study score? And what would be a good level to reach before taking the 3/4 exam?

And if they're not, why is that? 
2018 - 2019 : Biology [45] Japanese SL [45] JLPT N2
2020 - : BMedSc/MD @ Monash University

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2017, 03:32:41 pm »
+1
Hi!  ;D

I was just wondering: are the JLPT levels a good measure of how well you'll do in VCE? If so, what would each level more or less translate to as a study score? And what would be a good level to reach before taking the 3/4 exam?

And if they're not, why is that? 

Hi Hiea

VCE Japanese has writing and speaking components which the JLPT doesn't, so it probably won't be the most accurate indicator of your VCE study score. JLPT has reading comprehension, listening and kanji/grammar components and all answers are multiple choice. I think its main advantage would be that you can improve your skills in those sections for VCE, but you'll still need to do other preparation for writing and speaking.

I think students who get a 40+ study score would be able to pass JLPT N4 (I think N4 is slightly beyond the VCE course however). Although, as kanji/listening/reading is the focus of JLPT, people lower and higher that the 40 mark could pass or fail. It's still good practice nonetheless, especially for listening and vocab building, if you're motivated enough, get stuck into the N4 practice problems.

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2019, 07:40:47 pm »
+5
Thought I’d share a useful grammar resource that was brought to my attention recently.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/grammar_guide.pdf

Seems to contain all the VCE grammars plus a few more advanced ones beyond VCE (mainly in section 6 and the keigo in section 5.2)

Passive/Causative section at 5.1 and the はず/べき pattern at 6.2 worth learning for VCE purposes though.

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

anj_n

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:33 pm »
This might be a bit late but any people who recently finished 3 & 4 Japanese and did their orals? Mines in 3 days and the topic is bukatsu (clubs) so any help/tips are appreciated (e.g what kind of questions did they ask) even if they're not the same topic. Thank you!  :D