Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:58:15 pm

Author Topic: Looking for an Australian novel/play/short story...  (Read 1560 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

Looking for an Australian novel/play/short story...
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
...where group belonging can be identified through the language used (preferably with dialogue)...

I have no idea where or how to start looking, especially since it has to be Australian too. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

greenbeans

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Looking for an Australian novel/play/short story...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:02:45 am »
+2
Have you read Deadly Unna?
It's a really, really good example of a text that uses lots of Australian English and non-standard usage too. We were given it as a bit of an introduction to Eng Lang. There's a little bit of dialogue if I can recall correctly.

Honestly just troll through your school's library a bit. Plenty of fiction novels have heaps of Australian colloquialisms and all that jazz. Check the authors Nick Earls and Rebecca Sparrow, I remember reading their combined book "Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight" in like year 8 or 9 and picking up those sorts of things but don't quote me. All of those girly teenage-y novels about going through adolescence and looking for boys and not being popular and all that superficial stuff and shiz  that you really only see the year 7s at your school flicking through is PERFECT and are AWESOME resources for this task.

How is this helpful, you ask? Think about it. Teens in particular have their own way of communicating: "Teenspeak". They also invent new words (neologisms) to be able to identify new things in the evolving technology age. Think about acronyms too. Why do they do this? To exclude and include. To ensure adults don't know what they're talking about. To use diminutives of words about places, people, whatever so that they sound cooler being shorter.

So go forth and absorb all!
VCE 2010/2011
English | English Language | French | Music Performance | Further Maths | Legal Studies

Bachelor of Arts, Monash
Linguistics | French | Journalism | Criminology

#1procrastinator

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:33 am »
^ Nah, I've never heard of it. My library doesn't have it but I have a good idea of what to look for now, thanks a lot

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:28:32 am »
+1
i think deadly unna got  made into a film - "australian rules "
also, ' bran nue dae' , summer heights high, the castle, other stuff with chris lilley, are films or tv shows which show good aus english use
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:32:59 am »
+1
Stolen by Jane Harrison.

It's a short play and very Australian (story of five Aboriginal kids who have been forcefully removed from their homes by the Australian Government). I studied the play in Year 11.

EDIT: I remember a powerful scene where the kids are singing to the tune of the vegemite song (with different lyrics).

Because we love to work like slaves, we all adore to work like slaves. It puts a rose in every cheek. It puts a rose in every cheek!

I strongly recommend reading Stolen as I think it meets the parameters of your task perfectly. In essence the whole play is about these children belonging in an Australian society.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:42:18 am by MJRomeo81 »
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

#1procrastinator

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »
^ Excellent, found a copy. Thanks!

My teacher was using 'Deadly Unna' :p