Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 09:42:16 pm

Author Topic: Essay Writing Tips for Australian Politics.  (Read 5475 times)  Share 

CaiTheHuman

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • AstroBoy_
  • Respect: +6
  • School: RMIT VCE
Essay Writing Tips for Australian Politics.
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:01:28 am »
From previous students and current ones.

What would be some good tips to writing a coherently , articulate essay for Australian Politics which would warrant an A+ .

Bee leaf in your self.

Abbe Crixus

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Essay Writing Tips for Australian Politics.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:23:43 am »
I'm not exactly an expert on writing Auspol essays because i haven't been taught how to write them. Nonetheless, i've received full marks on the two essays i've done so far, so i'll give it a shot.

Firstly, make sure your paragraphs link so your essay naturally flows. For example, if in one paragraph you were mentioning how rights are protected in the constitution you would make a linking statement in the last sentence which relates to your next paragraph. In the context of such paragraph, you could talk about the referendum process.

Secondly, contemporary examples are hard to come by and find, but they are an absolute must for any quality essay. If you are struggling or your area of study doesn't necessarily allow for such examples, you may want to use other examples such as relevant court cases or situations in Australia[s or America's political scene from the past. Perhaps you could reference areas of the constitution to support your argument i.e. S116 of the Australian constitution restricting legislation from impeding on religious practice is largely irrelevant as it doesn't prevent states from doing so.

Thirdly, kind of obvious, but answer all facets of the question. This may seem funny, but in one SAC my class did, we needed to address political parties and elections. Most mentioned elections, but failed to even remotely talk about political parties hence my class did poorly.

Yeah, that's not necessarily gold, lol, but that's all i can think of ;D

EmmaCow

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »
I'm a huge fan of auspol essays :)
what is firstly vital to a coherent essay is signposting in the introduction. make sure you have clearly told your audience exactly what you will be discussing throughout the essay.
the second thing is something i learnt recently- basically the first essay we did this year i did really well and the second one i wasnt so happy with.. so my teacher told me that you have to go out on a limb and connect things which werent necessarily dictated to you. As in make links and connections between a democratic principle and a mechanism used in america for instance- but dont use a commonly known one- make one yourself which you believe in. they like that heaps.
also its really important to have relevant and contemporary examples threaded throughout the entire essay and if youre feeling brave give a suggestion in your conclusion i.e. state a way in which you believe the australian electoral system can better uphold democratic values etc
hope that helps!! if you need anything just ask :)
2011- Psychology
2012- English, Further Mathematics, Legal Studies, National Politics, History-Revolutions

Abbe Crixus

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:35:23 am »
I'm a huge fan of auspol essays :)
what is firstly vital to a coherent essay is signposting in the introduction. make sure you have clearly told your audience exactly what you will be discussing throughout the essay.
the second thing is something i learnt recently- basically the first essay we did this year i did really well and the second one i wasnt so happy with.. so my teacher told me that you have to go out on a limb and connect things which werent necessarily dictated to you. As in make links and connections between a democratic principle and a mechanism used in america for instance- but dont use a commonly known one- make one yourself which you believe in. they like that heaps.
also its really important to have relevant and contemporary examples threaded throughout the entire essay and if youre feeling brave give a suggestion in your conclusion i.e. state a way in which you believe the australian electoral system can better uphold democratic values etc
hope that helps!! if you need anything just ask :)

Great tips, i have a question though. In our Australian and US comparative essays, should you argue one is more democratic than the other? What i try to do is say neither is more democratic than the other and all we can do is evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each feature of their democracies. I mean, you're evaluating so much, i find it extremely difficult to say one is more democratic than the other when clearly each possess profoundly different aspects of their political and electoral systems both weaken and strengthen democracy, if you know what i'm saying.

EmmaCow

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »
I totally get what you mean- although qualified arguements are good (saying the strengths and weaknesses of both without leaning conclusively to one side of an argument) i always tend to say that one is better than the other IN THIS CONTEXT! it's really important to add that because of course in other areas USA or AUS will be better than the other but in this context australia's system might be more democratic..
2011- Psychology
2012- English, Further Mathematics, Legal Studies, National Politics, History-Revolutions