Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:57 pm

Author Topic: melbourne high test  (Read 7960 times)  Share 

rahul78

melbourne high test
« on: May 05, 2012, 04:06:24 pm »
hi,

my brother is trying out for melb.high entrance exam this june. Is there any tips for the test that you can give him? It would be much appreciated if you can try to find some practise exams.

thanks

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: melbourne high test
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:29 pm »
+1

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »
If I had known that, it would've made life a hell of a lot more easier. I passed the exam and got an offer at Nossal, but not MHS (when I sat the test, Suzanne Cory and John Monash School of Science didn't exist). The only preparation I did was attend Henderson's workshops so I basically semi-winged it. :P

NB: If you're wondering why I didn't take the place, it was because of the fact that my parents and I both felt I didn't deserve the place - I seriously got lucky, especially with the English-based tests. I probably would've been way out of my depth at a school like Nossal and I don't live anywhere near the school, so it was best I stayed where I did.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:36:12 pm by Stick »
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Butterscotch

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »
If I had known that, it would've made life a hell of a lot more easier. I passed the exam and got an offer at Nossal, but not MHS (when I sat the test, Suzanne Cory and John Monash School of Science didn't exist). The only preparation I did was attend Henderson's workshops so I basically semi-winged it. :P

NB: If you're wondering why I didn't take the place, it was because of the fact that my parents and I both felt I didn't deserve the place - I seriously got lucky, especially with the English-based tests. I probably would've been way out of my depth at a school like Nossal and I don't live anywhere near the school, so it was best I stayed where I did.

Why let go of an offer at a selective school though? :0 you may think you didn't deserve it, but maybe you did. You probably didn't now how good your eng was, and it had been proven on this test :0

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »
As I said, it would've taken me a very long time to commute to Nossal each day, so it was a real inconvenience for me.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:51:02 pm »
+2
Took me about an hour (one-way) everyday to get to MHS, wouldn't give that away for anything :)

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »

I think you'll find that at schools like MHS you don't need to be awfully smart to fit in or cope with the workload. The majority of my friends at that school and MacRob are bright kids but more so because they're hard working rather than possessing any natural talent.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:09:07 pm »
My results were at the bottom end of the scale (4 in the second top group and 2 in the third top group - I still wonder how I even got an offer).

Well it's too late now; anyway I'm really happy with my current school and I think I can do just as well where I am. The major problem which I had until recently was my attitude to studying, which only began to change at the end of last year. The only shortcoming my school might have now is the fact there is a culture amongst the students to just 'cruise' and not really try their best. But I'm not going to let that get to me. :)

Butterscotch

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:44:02 pm »
I guess it is your choice, but it would've been good to accept :P but yeh, don't give up on a positive attitude towards studying. It'll pay off, eventually :D

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
Took me about an hour (one-way) everyday to get to MHS, wouldn't give that away for anything :)

An hour on public transport really flies by you when you get used to it, especially when you're with other people.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 09:39:15 pm »

An hour on public transport really flies by you when you get used to it, especially when you're with other people.

This is when the Werribee line comes into it and the fact that I was like the only one from MHS in my year on my line :(

But I did it from yr7-12, so I was well used to it before MHS haha :D

#foreveralone

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 09:44:57 pm »
I applied for MHS Year 9 entry but wasn't accepted.

Studied my butt off and got an offer for Year 10 entry the following year but didn't go because my parents wanted me to graduate from a private school - although I wanted to go to MHS :(

I still regret it until this day. I wish I convinced them.
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.