Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:54 pm

Author Topic: Which English is the easiest to get a high mark in?  (Read 4589 times)  Share 

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Which English is the easiest to get a high mark in?
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »
Most people in the state do regular English, so does that mean it's easier to get a good mark in it because you're competing against everyone in the state (including people who aren't so strong in English)? Because I would assume that most people doing Literature or English Language are pretty capable English students, so wouldn't that mean it would be more difficult to get a high score in those subjects?

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Which English is the easiest to get a high mark in?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »
In terms of raw scores, yes it is easier to get a higher score in English compared to Literature or English Language. However, that is what scaling is for- they all end up being the same "difficulty" after scaling is factored in. In terms of which is the easiest to do well in from studying, personally I would say English as it has the most resources and you can get the most support for it. This is all very subjective though and it depends where your strengths lie.
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »
For the average student, you'd probably be safe going with just English. Supposedly English Language is the easiest to get a definite high mark in though, seeing as there's little subjectivity, but you have to be a very good student to achieve highly in it.

I did Lit last year and I'm studying English this year. Personally I found Literature to be a lot easier in terms of processing key ideas and articulating them, as well as the exam format, but the marking scheme for English is far more lenient.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »
Yes

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:57:48 pm »
Most people in the state do regular English, so does that mean it's easier to get a good mark in it because you're competing against everyone in the state (including people who aren't so strong in English)? Because I would assume that most people doing Literature or English Language are pretty capable English students, so wouldn't that mean it would be more difficult to get a high score in those subjects?

I know that this is a bit late but it's something like the number of people who get 50 in English equals the number of people in English Language who get 42-43+. This may not be true though, and at the end of the day it comes down to percentages (a lot more people do mainstream English) but I thought that you would just like to know that.

I don't actually know if there is a definite answer to your question, it depends on you as a person.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:08:37 pm by golden »
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

Gazillionaire

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:02:55 pm »
If you are an average English student, stick to mainstream English. Literature is for students who like reading a lot of fiction. You have to be really good at text response essays, understand the author's intentions, character interactions and personalities. In general, you have to be able to develop an in-depth understanding of all the novels you read in the course in order to excel in this subject. If you are good at this stuff, then go ahead.
A lot of people underestimate the difficulty of English Language. There is a reason why it is the most difficult English subject. If you are a top English student and you are passionate about English, then English language is a possibility. If you're finding it difficult to score high marks in your persuasive analysis tasks and essays in mainstream English, then switching to English Language is not recommended.
This is my personal opinion. You could try out all three English subjects before making up your're own mind. Check out the VCAA study designs for the English subjects and see what interests you. After all, you are more likely to perform well in a subject you like. If you don't like English at all, stick to mainstream English because you really don't have a choice.
Good luck buddy  :)

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »
Not really. You don't have to be a keen reader or lover of fiction to do well in Literature. You just have to be able to comprehend and analyse ideas and then recognise when they're relevant to a certain passage of text. I know of quite a few people who have done really well in Literature (as in 45+) but they're not that great at English/text responses and they don't read at all.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:31:24 am »
Thanks for all your input guys :)