Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:07 am

Author Topic: 2012 Oral - Detailed Studies  (Read 10228 times)  Share 

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Nagle College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
2012 Oral - Detailed Studies
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »
Ciao Guys,

Just wondering what topics you are all doing for the oral later in the year (if you already have it finalised)

My school is doing the problems Venice is facing from tourism, rising sea levels etc.

Any others doing this? I'd be keen to discuss possible questions and answers.

Cordiali Saluti
Tomasso
2011: Psychology (46) P.E (46)
2012: English (47) Italian (29) Methods (36) Physics (39)
ATAR: 98.40

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
Re: 2012 Oral - Detailed Studies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »
+1
You'll probably find 98% of people will be doing immigration haha
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

car0014

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:58:53 pm »
+1
I'm gonna be doing italian cinema. I did immigration with last years yr 12 italian class and it didn't really interest me. I'm looking forward to italian cinema though, i don't know why, just am  :)
2011: Business Management (35)
2012: English, Italian, Physics, Economics, Methods
2013-2016: Bachelor of Commerce / Diploma of Languages (German) @Monash

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »
+1
I'm gonna be doing italian cinema. I did immigration with last years yr 12 italian class and it didn't really interest me. I'm looking forward to italian cinema though, i don't know why, just am  :)

I did italian neorealism during/ after ww2. Was a good topic. Is your one modern italian cinema though?

car0014

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »

I did italian neorealism during/ after ww2. Was a good topic. Is your one modern italian cinema though?

I can't say for sure, she just keeps saying that we will be starting our study of italian cinema next term. Your topic sounds really interesting, wouldn't mind if my detailed study revolved around that style of film. My teacher says that our class is really lucky though because we have an italian teaching assistant from a country town in the north (of italy of course), and his uni major was in cinema!!
What do you consider the hardest part of your study was? writing a review? growing an interest? nothing? I only ask because i don't really have any idea regarding how difficult it will be.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:57:41 pm »

I can't say for sure, she just keeps saying that we will be starting our study of italian cinema next term. Your topic sounds really interesting, wouldn't mind if my detailed study revolved around that style of film. My teacher says that our class is really lucky though because we have an italian teaching assistant from a country town in the north (of italy of course), and his uni major was in cinema!!
What do you consider the hardest part of your study was? writing a review? growing an interest? nothing? I only ask because i don't really have any idea regarding how difficult it will be.

It wasn't really providing a review of the films it was more about describing the films, why they were introduced during that time, that they weren't films that were typical hollywood style but were shown during the time where italy was trying to rebuild again, relating to real life events as such. We had to provide examples of 2 films that we saw. I enjoyed the topic it was easy to talk about because there was just so much to talk about.

car0014

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »

It wasn't really providing a review of the films it was more about describing the films, why they were introduced during that time, that they weren't films that were typical hollywood style but were shown during the time where italy was trying to rebuild again, relating to real life events as such. We had to provide examples of 2 films that we saw. I enjoyed the topic it was easy to talk about because there was just so much to talk about.

Cool, i think this has sparked a little excitement for when we start our detailed study  :D

Ciao Guys,

Just wondering what topics you are all doing for the oral later in the year (if you already have it finalised)

My school is doing the problems Venice is facing from tourism, rising sea levels etc.

Any others doing this? I'd be keen to discuss possible questions and answers.

Cordiali Saluti
Tomasso

Your one sounds interesting too Tom, i wouldn't mind doing that as well  :D The part about the rising sea levels would probably interest me the most, sounds really fascinating.

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:55:45 pm »

Your one sounds interesting too Tom, i wouldn't mind doing that as well  :D The part about the rising sea levels would probably interest me the most, sounds really fascinating.
[/quote]

Hey :) Yeah I've started my research on it and am finding it really interesting which is great. I didn't realise the diversity of the topics that other schools were studying! They all sound so interesting!.

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
  • School: I shouldnt say.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 08:23:35 pm »
+1
urrrggggh we have italian immigration - as el said, sooooo many people do it and it's hard to spice it up coz it's so dry!
El2012 - wow we just studied neorealism in italian cinema, it was amazing! probably the best area we've studied all through vce italian XD I mean the whole italian cinema topic.
Anyone else who is doing italian immigration, any ideas? I want to do something a bit more original.
Actually, I'm not really sure about the detailed study at all because our teacher hasn't said much.. how do you pick a subtopic? I know in the past students did proxy brides... I can't think of anything else.
Could possible subtopics be like... change in the role of women after immigration?
(Also does italian immigration have to be to australia? :S)
I realise that no one who has posted so far would prob be able to answer these questions, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts! :)
Happy enough after one hell of a year.

<3 Life goal: ---->  Prosthetics and Orthotics
2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »
Hey Fishyiscool,

We studied immigration last year for 1/2.

Yeah a lot of our focus was on the proxy brides, how the majority of the Italians took up residence in similar areas (Carlton for example), and what the Italians brought to Australia (real coffee, italian food etc.)

We made a trip to the Immigration museum and had a talk from an Italian lady there, who showed us 4 or 5 videos of immigrants stories which we also learnt heaps from.

And finally, for a bit of entertainment we watched "They're a weird mob", which is about an Italian man who arrives in Sydney I think. That was pretty funny, but i don't think we learnt heaps from it.

In bocca al Lupo!

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:33:53 pm »
urrrggggh we have italian immigration - as el said, sooooo many people do it and it's hard to spice it up coz it's so dry!
El2012 - wow we just studied neorealism in italian cinema, it was amazing! probably the best area we've studied all through vce italian XD I mean the whole italian cinema topic.
Anyone else who is doing italian immigration, any ideas? I want to do something a bit more original.
Actually, I'm not really sure about the detailed study at all because our teacher hasn't said much.. how do you pick a subtopic? I know in the past students did proxy brides... I can't think of anything else.
Could possible subtopics be like... change in the role of women after immigration?
I realise that no one who has posted so far would prob be able to answer these questions, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts! :)

By the way, it's quite possible to include some stuff on italian neorealism in your oral (since it's based on ww2 which was the main influence for immigration)

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »

By the way, it's quite possible to include some stuff on italian neorealism in your oral (since it's based on ww2 which was the main influence for immigration)

:o how even? As a subtopic?

2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:57 pm »
+1

Well the thing is with detailed study, you can steer the conversation into whatever direction you want to. They might be like, what are the causes of the immigration, and you might say something like world war 2 or something and then go on and say, what I personally found interesting was that not only was ww2 a cause for immigration but it also influenced a number of movies during that time in italy, under the concept of italian neorealism (and then say a couple of points here). Of course, try not to keep all the conversation based on neorealism (since it's not your topic), but things like this will keep the examiners interested because it's not solely focused on italian immigration. You may even like to watch one film on italian neorealism, to provide a few points on how directors weren't conforming to the old hollywood style movies, but rather it was almost a complete reflection on the italian life at the time post ww2. (I have a couple of names of films if you want them)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:13:35 pm by El2012 »

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:49 pm »

Well the thing is with detailed study, you can steer the conversation into whatever direction you want to. They might be like, what are the causes of the immigration, and you might say something like world war 2 or something and then go on and say, what I personally found interesting was that not only was ww2 a cause for immigration but it also influenced a number of movies during that time in italy, under the concept of italian neorealism (and then say a couple of points here). Of course, try not to keep all the conversation based on neorealism (since it's not your topic), but things like this will keep the examiners interested because it's not solely focused on italian immigration. You may even like to watch one film on italian neorealism, to provide a few points on how directors weren't conforming to the old hollywood style movies, but rather it was almost a complete reflection on the italian life at the time post ww2. (I have a couple of names of films if you want them)

OH! THANKS :) and um ive watched ... Ladri di biciclette, la dolce vita, la vita e' bella, any other suggestions? there are so many that i want to watch but wont get to this year :(

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 11:24:47 pm »
+1

OH! THANKS :) and um ive watched ... Ladri di biciclette, la dolce vita, la vita e' bella, any other suggestions? there are so many that i want to watch but wont get to this year :(

I quoted ladri di biciclette for one of my movies, it's a great one. Also 'rome, open city', la strada (also another movie I referenced). Other's i've heard: Il bidone, riso amaro, miracolo a milano, paisa', Sciuscià. Also see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Italian_neorealist_films

But don't derail too much off immigration :P