Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:40:12 pm

Author Topic: How important is your cohort in this subject?  (Read 1957 times)  Share 

Abbe Crixus

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How important is your cohort in this subject?
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:44:49 am »
I've noticed most people on here are saying how easy the subject is and so i'm a little scared as i've been getting fairly average marks. I think i'm somewhere in the high 80s/100 for Unit 3. Is it true that if i don't drop a mark on the exam i could still get a 50 if i'm at the top quarter of a weak cohort? 

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: How important is your cohort in this subject?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »
I've noticed most people on here are saying how easy the subject is and so i'm a little scared as i've been getting fairly average marks. I think i'm somewhere in the high 80s/100 for Unit 3. Is it true that if i don't drop a mark on the exam i could still get a 50 if i'm at the top quarter of a weak cohort? 

If your ranked top 3 then yes.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:55:27 pm »
Don't freak out too much about your marks - some of the best teachers are the hardest markers because they are pushing you for the exam. Yes, you might be doing worse than those high-scoring people... or you might even be doing better.

Rather than stressing, find some work samples from other schools to compare yourself against (for example, samples posted on this site). See if you can get some exams from companies like CPAP and NEAP, then make sure you are as good as or better than the sample answers every time. Download the Assessor's Reports from previous years and make sure your answers are at least as accurate and detailed as the samples they include.

Theoretically every person in your class could get a 50. In reality it's never going to happen, but it's all a combination of 'scaling' and the exam.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:56:56 pm »
+1
By the way, it's NOT an easy subject. It's easy to *understand* 99% of it, but remembering every single tiny little detail, interpreting the question requirements perfectly and writing with absolute clarity and detail while not going overtime - that's hard.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »

In VCE your SAC marks aren't important. It is your cohort rank that VCAA takes into account. Are you doing better than most people in your cohort with those high 80 scores?

By the way, it's NOT an easy subject. It's easy to *understand* 99% of it, but remembering every single tiny little detail, interpreting the question requirements perfectly and writing with absolute clarity and detail while not going overtime - that's hard.

+1. This is not an easy subject AT ALL. This isn't like BM (sorry BM'ers) where half of the damn course is common knowledge. In Legal you need to remember all the facts of key cases, all of the different laws, etc. and then apply it to the question.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

Newton

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:30:46 pm »

What if your ranked number 4 by the end of unit four?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:31:33 pm by Newton »

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:37:32 pm »

What if your ranked number 4 by the end of unit four?

Please refer to my previous comment. I think Abbe just chose 'top 3' as a somewhat arbitrary number to indicate the fact that the higher your rank is the better your chance. In most schools no-one will get a 50 (in many schools no-one will get above a 40, even the top 3) - while in other schools they will have more than one 50.

It all depends how you *and all the people ranked higher than you on SACs* perform on the exam. Just do well on the exam.
Good luck!