Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:16:28 am

Author Topic: Geography Exam Discussion  (Read 7386 times)  Share 

nspire

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Geography Exam Discussion
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »
+1
Nonexistent geography students, what have you been doing to prepare for the upcoming exam?

starr

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Geography Exam Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:37:18 pm »
haha there doesn't seem to be many of us :P
i've been doing past vcaa and gtav papers. yourself?

nspire

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:30 pm »
Just summarising my case studies and doing a few past papers

SallyRose94

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:58:51 pm »
Haven't done a lot so far...
Completed a few practice exams, both VCAA and GTAV, and have been reading through summaries regularly... But it's probably time for me to buckle done now, seeing as my other exams are now over!
Us Geography students are definitely rare these days!  :)
How many practice exams are you guys aiming to complete?
2012 VCE
2013 Monash University

nspire

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »
Time is running out, so I'm only aiming for 5 just so I get a decent exposure as to what questions may be asked. So far I've only done about 3 full papers and sections from some of the past exams. I have a strong understanding of my case studies though which I'm feeling pretty good about, what did you all do for Murray-Darling Basin?

I have Unit 2 exams coming up as well which I need to do an adequate amount of study for :(

nspire

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »
Bumpp

arizonadurbin22

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:24:36 pm »
How did y'all go on the exam ? :)

rg_123

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 06:37:22 pm »
How did y'all go on the exam ? :)

I thought the exam was pretty tough but luckily I had studied the content so I didn't find it too bad. After speaking to my teacher he said that this years exam was definitely tougher (in his opinion) when compared to last years - largely due to the two ten markers. So hopefully the A+ cut off will be lower this year :D

I think the toughest questions were the 10 marker on the local response - I used a UNESCO response which is a global organisation but talked about how the response targeted the local region and people (so hopefully they recognise this as a local response). Also the 6 mark question on the specific population in stage 2 was also quite tough... I discussed Yemen as my specific population, but I'm not sure whether I will get the full six marks.
2016| Biology [41]
2017| Chemistry [47] Englang [37] Further [43] Geography [42] Methods [39]

2018-2020| B-BMED @ Unimelb

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 07:51:22 pm »
Can anyone upload the exam here? I'm curious what was asked this year
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:40:01 pm »
I thought the exam was pretty tough but luckily I had studied the content so I didn't find it too bad. After speaking to my teacher he said that this years exam was definitely tougher (in his opinion) when compared to last years - largely due to the two ten markers. So hopefully the A+ cut off will be lower this year :D

I think the toughest questions were the 10 marker on the local response - I used a UNESCO response which is a global organisation but talked about how the response targeted the local region and people (so hopefully they recognise this as a local response). Also the 6 mark question on the specific population in stage 2 was also quite tough... I discussed Yemen as my specific population, but I'm not sure whether I will get the full six marks.
I'm assuming the UNSECO response was on a global scale (targets multiple countries) and not a local scale (a small region like a farm or a shopping centre) so you are going to get some marks docked for that question.

As for the 6 mark question regarding a population in stage 2. Yemen is indeed in stage 2 as long as you explained high birth rates with decreasing death rates due to measures made by the country like improve health care and also some statistics comparing from two years to show the trend. You should be able to get the 6 marks.

rg_123

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 09:59:12 pm »
Yeah I was unsure about that 10 marker tbh when I came out.  It was regarding the Aletch Glacier in Switzerland and the fact that it was world heritage listed by UNESCO. But I discussed it as a local response by linking it to the fact that local businesses such as restaurants and other tourist facilities are not permitted to build on top of or near the glacier (due to the fact that it is world heritage listed), reducing ice erosion and glacial melting. Do you think this would be okay? 

Thanks
2016| Biology [41]
2017| Chemistry [47] Englang [37] Further [43] Geography [42] Methods [39]

2018-2020| B-BMED @ Unimelb

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 09:11:05 am »
Yeah I was unsure about that 10 marker tbh when I came out.  It was regarding the Aletch Glacier in Switzerland and the fact that it was world heritage listed by UNESCO. But I discussed it as a local response by linking it to the fact that local businesses such as restaurants and other tourist facilities are not permitted to build on top of or near the glacier (due to the fact that it is world heritage listed), reducing ice erosion and glacial melting. Do you think this would be okay? 

Thanks
It should be okay. But is that an actual policy response or something you made up?
An actual one would give you higher marks compared to a made up one, if the question doesn't specify for a real-life example of a policy for protecting the Aletch Glacier then you should be fine.