Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:27:14 pm

Author Topic: Anybody else on here do UMEP maths exam 1 today? What did you think?  (Read 4239 times)  Share 

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
I thought it was quite tricky, I managed to do all of the questions except for the one asking you to find the minimum distance from the origin to xyz2=2 one..

Overall, it seemed on par with, if not a bit more difficult than, the past few years even though there were only 3 pages of questions.
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

roakley

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Ha
Re: Anybody else on here do UMEP maths exam 1 today? What did you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:14:24 am »
+1
I found it tricky as well. I couldn't get the third part of the complex question (expressing in terms of sin(something + something) and for the last part of the last question I sort of stumbled my way through it.
For the one you couldn't get, you had to express z in terms of x and y, then create a distance function, then find the minimum of that function.

gossamer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:20:27 am »
Yeah, there were bits that were challenging, but also some straightforward questions. I didn't get the question which roakley mentioned, and got halfway through the one you had trouble with, rife168.

Anyway, how are we all feeling about Monday?

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:13 pm »
Yeah I got some really ugly polynomial fraction all under a square root that I thought I would have to differentiate so I wrote that down and then thought I would skip it and come back to it later but I didn't have time :(

@gossamer:
Yeah that complex numbers question was tricky, I thought I got it but when I was talking to a friend afterwards I think I realised that I made a mistake in the last step...
I think I ended up with something like which I simplified to

But it should've been because you have to multiply it by to get
Doh!

I hope the 2nd paper is accessible with nothing too crazy like a 10x10 matrix or something...
I really need to brush up on change of bases :S
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU