Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:14:22 am

Author Topic: Theatre Studies Advice 3/4  (Read 10066 times)  Share 

Gaspitschami

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • 2013: Theatre Studies
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Margarets School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Theatre Studies Advice 3/4
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »
Hi Everyone

Does any former students have any advice on Theatre 3/4?

With your folio, what are you supposed to include? Do you include all the information you can find about your Stagecraft elements such as there history and how they are effective?

I don't particularly understand Outcome 1? Shouldn't you practically apply the stagecraft elements throughout the production process. Does that mean Outcome 2 and Outcome 1 are done together? Are they marked together?

Do you have any overall advice? Is being big and extravagant good for your monologue with varying tones?

ADVICE ADVICE ADVICE

How do you get over 45?

Thankyou
2013: Theatre Studies!
2014: Chemistry, Math Methods, Biology, Psychology and Lit!

simba

Re: Theatre Studies Advice 3/4
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »
Firstly I want to congratulate you on picking a fantastic subject! :D
Although I did 3/4 drama last year, Brenden (Brendinkles) and Katykins both did theatre studies, so you would be best to ask them about it! :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:23:05 am »
Alright my memory is pretty sketchy here because there were stages I forgot to pay attention in Theatre Studies. From memory, Outcome 1 is literally how you develop your stagecraft through the production process. So literally, how you plan the SC, how you develop it (maybe you actually build a chair?), how the SCs are used during rehearsal etc, how and how well they're used in season and I guess most of your evaluation would come from your folio. So yeah, it literally is how you apply it. So think of the entirety of Term 1 as a SAC with your teacher monitoring how you go about doing your stagecraft.
I suppose with the folios it's a little bit up to your teacher but the way we/I did it was just the four stages of production. I legit just documented every single thing I did during each stage and how it related to those stages etc. Then when it comes to the folio SAC you have a plethora of materials to reference. I didn't reference stagecraft history at all, but certainly include why your particular props etc will be effective in say, the planning stage. "I plan for this big red key to be comical for the audience, as it is absurd that it would actually start a car" etc... They're marked separately if I remember correctly, I think both out of twenty five or something?
Overall advice? Aim to understand things deeply. Go above and beyond. If your teacher does a lesson on Theatre of Cruelty, you go home and google the absolute fuck out of Theatre of Cruelty. When it comes to your SC analysis and acting analysis (Unit 4), I'd know these playscripts really well as if it were one of your English texts because they're worth a bit of marks in your exam which will be easier if you have a good memory of what you saw. There's a long period of time between the exam and your analyses so knowing the plays really well will keep your memory fresh. And drill yourself on the theory. You're probably a pretty good actor already but tbh you need to kill the theory. Your SAC grade depends on it and so does the exam (which is weighted more than the monologue).
On monologue advice, best make a thread when it's time. I can't tell you if big and extravagant is good for your monologue - what happens if you end up playing an old lady? For monologue success you need a very deep understanding of your play, your scene, your monologue, and most importantly, your character. When you have such a deep understanding, your interpretation will be superior. I remember playing Creature from Frankenstein... I played him as a human, corrupted my society. Just, pain. So much pain. I dressed in hessian and just got really awesome make-up (I have a make-up artist friend) to make me look like I got bashed. I shaved my head entirely. Like BALD with a facial razor. And yeah I just played him with so much pain. A human. A bullied human. Tbh, I think that's what Creature is. He's abandoned by his creator, his image of God, and he's tortured, shunned, ostracised. "[He] wanted to be good!" "I should be Adam, God was proud of Adam. But Satan's the one I sympathise with. For I was cast out, like Satan, though I did no wrong." -- So for one of my props I had a shiny red apple and Paradise Lost (referenced in the play_, both used as symbols etc etc and I really tried to understand the character. (Sorry I got a bit off topic)... I tell you this because when I arrived to my performance venue, there was literally five Creatures. All of them had say, blood on their clothing, ripped clothing, scratches on their face - going for a "monster/abomination" look, instead of "human". I'm not saying I'm right or their wrong but, Idk man, when you look closely Creature just wants to be like everyone else but they won't let him. Society made him a monster. That's what I mean by deep understanding. You have to feel your character to interpret it well. Is your character big? Play them big. Is your character quiet? Play them quiet. It's about what you think, and what you think you should do wiht your monologue. Tbh it's a bit early to talk about. Make another thread when you have questions when it's time? You could probably upload a video to AN for Katy and I to give you feedback on. You definitely need to drill your monologue. Over and over. You should be able to do it after being punched in the face because you know it so well.
Getting over 45? Hard work. Lots and lots. Lol. I have no tips/tricks really because I didn't get over 45 or anywhere close. But work hard. Ace your monologue, ace your exam. That's it lol. For the exam, you need to understand stuff well through the year. For the monologue, you need to practice, and you need to make sure you're fucking incredible, because there is some tough competition out there.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Gaspitschami

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:05 pm »
Thankyou so much for the info! I'll look over it to see if i have anymore questions. What do you think is the Stagecraft to really expand on? I was thinking of going for lighting but i'm not sure?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:40:38 pm »
I think it's best to choose your own stagecraft depending on what you're interested in :). Personally, I did props, because I always hated not being in control of what was on stage in previous performances so I thought it'd be nice to try it out.

Gaspitschami

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »
Okay! Thanks for your advice  :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:43 am »
You're welcome :)

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:51 am »
You should also know that the exam counts by far more than the monologue and you should not neglect it. I'm sure you won't cause you're in Yr11 so nothing will get in the way for studying for the exam. I know that all the people from my school were really good actors however didn't score highly cause they first didn't really study for the exam or secondly didn't knew what to study. The teacher from my school also basically put the main focus on the monologue, which was imo completly wrong. Also try to ace your SACs otherwise they'll put your score down like it happened for me with my English subject.
AFAIK the distribution is SACs 50% Monologue 12.5%, Exam 37.5%.