Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:59:09 am

Author Topic: "I'm shit at writing"  (Read 68079 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: "I'm shit at writing"
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:28:22 am »
+1
Hahahahahahahahaha omfg I only just understood why he bolded literally >.<
This is also the single best thing I've read in an essay (and I've read a lot!) Omfg lol.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:55 am »
+1
It actually made me laugh it's that awesome. I wish I could hand this into a teacher now! Greatest context paragraph!
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:41 pm »
Thanks for the post. I will keep this in mind.
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
+1
Thanks for the post. I will keep this in mind.
You're welcome, please do :)

walkec

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for this thread.
My year level got our first English outcome, YES OUTCOME NOT EVEN A SAC, and there were so many students saying, ah it seems I'm shit at writing now because I went from scoring 90+ in 7-10 English, to a 60-70% in year 11.

I am one of these people. I got a 73%, not that bar considering I forgot most of my ideas in the writing time and made most of it up on the spot. But there were a few students who feel like it is their duty to rub it in other people's faces that they scored 15-20% higher.

This makes me a little pissed off for this reason. Year 11 shouldn't be a competition, it should be about working with as many writing styles as possible this year to work out where your strengths are, instead of writing yet another text response because that's what we have been writing for as long as I can remember. I kid you not, the 4 out of 6 girls who scored 90+ in this outcome wrote a persuasive piece, because that's where most people's strength is (or should be) by year 11. I wrote a creative expository hybrid. I was happy with this because writing creatively is no where near my strong point, so I worked hard in preparation and I know that I need to work more on developing my creative and expository skills.

The couple of girls who I spoke to who got in the 90+ said they feel like they don't need to work hard in English because they think this outcome means that VCE English is easy for them. Well, I just want to see how they go for the rest of this year, let alone next year, it's going to be a rude shock if that's their attitude. One even said to my face, oh so you're not as strong a writer as you thought you were then, obviously referring to my 70+. Apart from being darn right rude I now have so much determination to work harder to developing my writing just so I can prove her wrong. Stupid, I know, but that's my goal in English and makes me want to work harder to achieve higher marks.

I believe it can be done. And it will be done.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »
+6
The couple of girls who I spoke to who got in the 90+ said they feel like they don't need to work hard in English because they think this outcome means that VCE English is easy for them. Well, I just want to see how they go for the rest of this year, let alone next year, it's going to be a rude shock if that's their attitude. One even said to my face, oh so you're not as strong a writer as you thought you were then, obviously referring to my 70+. Apart from being darn right rude I now have so much determination to work harder to developing my writing just so I can prove her wrong. Stupid, I know, but that's my goal in English and makes me want to work harder to achieve higher marks.

I believe it can be done. And it will be done.
I'll tell you from experience, the most satisfying thing you can do is score higher than those people and then not drop to their level. It gets to a point where they say "what did you score?" "Oh, 95%" and you don't even ask what they scored, but you know they scored less, and you know you just broke their heart, all by fault of them wanting to make you feel lesser. Then you get the reputation for the person that is awesome and doesn't act like a fuck head. That's real self-confidence, and people will respect you a lot for it :).
I don't think it's stupid. Half of my motivation for Year 12 was proving everyone wrong (and the other half was not proving them right). Shit, you're in Year 11, the windows are limitless. If you start to work hard now, there's no reason you couldn't score perfectly :). Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work as hard. I have no idea how good these girls are, but I'm confident you can put them in their places. Being naturally good at English doesn't help you read your selected text over and over again. You need to work hard to do that ;)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:20 pm »
+3
I've stickied this for that point in the year where many people feel that they are falling behind - or losing confidence in - English studies.

Brenden's advice is solid and holds true for students across the English boards; you're not 'shit at English', even though you may feel stressed about it. Just persevere and practice, and it will all work out well in the end.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 04:42:02 pm »
+6
Props to the sticky. I totally agree.

A case in point: today we got our sacs back for text response and one of my friends went from a D+ in his practice to a B+. When he got his mark back he was practically hyperventilating with happiness.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:28:10 pm by lollymatron »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »
+9
Persevere is the best piece advice I could give anyone. Ever.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 06:35:44 pm »
+4
The couple of girls who I spoke to who got in the 90+ said they feel like they don't need to work hard in English because they think this outcome means that VCE English is easy for them.

That naivety is just shocking I mean, who judges the difficulty of the Year 12 course based on one puny Year 11 outcome?  The fable of the tortoise and the hare comes into mind here.

In the case of English, I'd say hard work trumps natural writing talent, so keep working on improving upon feedback and you'll eventually get better!
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

jono88

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:47 pm »
+4
This thread has given me confidence with what i write and it's showing with the results I have been achieving.  :D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 11:06:49 pm »
+2
This thread has given me confidence with what i write and it's showing with the results I have been achieving.  :D
Congratulations man :), keep at it!

Damoz.G

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 10:42:59 pm »
This has helped me out a lot as well! Thank you.

I'm starting to love English now too!  ;D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 02:00:33 am »
+1
That's awesome to hear!! You're welcome :)

cluelessuser

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 11:32:44 am »
+4
I have to agree with the majority of what has been said on posts. If people were naturally bad at English, as is so often said, there would not be a need for tutors and teachers.

The more you listen to what experts have to say, engage with texts, and train your wrist, the more likely you are to succeed. the students who have an inflated sense of their own intelligence tend to be the ones who fall behind.

Essay writing is a constantly evolving, learned skill. A great score comes with the determination to surpass your existing knowledge. :)
Co-author of "ATAR Notes: Literature Unit 3 & 4 Study Guide"
Currently tutoring: English and Literature
Study scores: English 48 (raw), Literature 48 (raw).
Price: $25.00 - $45.00 per hour
Email: [email protected]
Buy study guide: http://vce.atarnotes.com/home/?step=estore&act=view&id=35