Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:03:20 pm

Author Topic: Hardcore SLAers  (Read 2698 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Hardcore SLAers
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:14:56 pm »
How good do you have to be to do well in chinese? Cuz I only started in year 8 with the other SLers, but it seems some of the SLAers are dropping back down to SL for the VCE which I reckon is pretty crap cuz they're all hardcore asians etc. To get a good SS in chinese if you're not already fluent do you have to REALLY want it? Do you actually have to hardcore revise every night? If so then I think I might not have time for it... Just wondering, thanks.

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Hardcore SLAers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:48:22 pm »
Are you sure the SLAs are dropping back to SL for year 12 chinese too though? Because SLA people do Chinese SL 1/2 (as there is no Chinese SLA 1/2) but do Chinese SLA 3/4 the year after that. If they are hardcore asians and fit into the SLA category, they will not be able to do SL anyway so you don't have to worry. Personally I hardly revised till REALLY near the end of year exam but then I'm SLA and have some background already. For you I suppose it depends how good you are at Chinese. Which chinese school do you attend? Or do you do it in school (I don't think so since you have 6 + 1 subjects)? How are you doing compared with the rest of the class?
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

cara.mel

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:02:45 pm »
I am completely non background, started in year 7, and yeah got 34. This year in the paper 1 non-asian person got 40+, last year there were 3.
I put as much effort into this as my other subjects (except maybe english, that got super effort :P), and this subject didn't even end up counting. And not bragging, I'm a fairly good kid.
I'm not sure how other people at my school went, I don't really talk to them. I would have been near the top but not at the top.

Basically, if you have no background, you can't do well in this subject. Scaling doesnt compensate for the unfairness. (like most people in 2nd language who get >40 go to some chinese school, surely that is screaming out it's unfair? Stupid system x_x)

So if you want a high enter - don't choose this
If you want to learn chinese - choose this

kingmar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Non Sequitur
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 06:57:04 pm »
If you're asian, speak the language, and want a bludgy subject to get a 46 scaled with no effort, do this subject.

aka. me.

I got 33 (mel beat me).

The difference is in the effort. I did no study, no revision, nothing for SACs etc.

Mel worked way harder than me I'm guessing, and I only just got edged out.

I probably could have done better with some revision. But as the law of diminishing returns goes, there was simply little point in putting bonus effort into getting an extra 2-3 raw that makes minimal difference to my ENTER.
ENTER: Incomprehensibly high

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:23:02 pm »
(like most people in 2nd language who get >40 go to some chinese school, surely that is screaming out it's unfair? Stupid system x_x)

lol yea it is pretty hard to obtain over 40 raw if you don't go to a chinese school. I went to the best (and most expensive) one available (my school didn't offer it) and also got a chinese tutor who is an assesor for $60 an hour. in short, i spent lots of times n money on it but my chinese isn't THAT great and there is just soo much competition in SLA so i didn't get over 40. for my standard though, 38 is really good. i've been to VSL and other chinese schools before and have always been near the top but when i swapped to Chinese Culture School in Glen Waverley this year i found that i was near the bottom of my class =O people who were better than me in VSL also only got low 30s compared to me. so it makes a huge difference.
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:44 pm »
(like most people in 2nd language who get >40 go to some chinese school, surely that is screaming out it's unfair? Stupid system x_x)

lol yea it is pretty hard to obtain over 40 raw if you don't go to a chinese school. I went to the best (and most expensive) one available (my school didn't offer it) and also got a chinese tutor who is an assesor for $60 an hour. in short, i spent lots of times n money on it but my chinese isn't THAT great and there is just soo much competition in SLA so i didn't get over 40. for my standard though, 38 is really good. i've been to VSL and other chinese schools before and have always been near the top but when i swapped to Chinese Culture School in Glen Waverley this year i found that i was near the bottom of my class =O people who were better than me in VSL also only got low 30s compared to me. so it makes a huge difference.
hey so did u get 38 raw ? or 38 scaled?
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:00:47 pm »
38 raw which should scale to about 47 i think
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 02:15:52 pm »
wow thats great nice :D
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

nicagnesb

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:53 am »
I am doing SLA.
In fact, i didn't even do any work in class however i am like the top of the class..
Languages subject is really depends on your personal languages skill
i mean u can improve it but not only in a year
i study chinese since year 1, may be this is the difference...
By the way, SLA has a lot of good guy which include Hong Kong people(Me LOL), Malaysian etc
those people are having a better skills than SL