Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:51:02 pm

Author Topic: SOMEONE HELP! Introduction to Twelve Angry Men Essay.  (Read 816 times)  Share 

MaccaMe

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Sirius College
SOMEONE HELP! Introduction to Twelve Angry Men Essay.
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »
I would love for someone to help me out on if it is good or not.

This is my prompt

...I urge you to deliberate honestly and thoughtfully... (Judge)
To what extent do the jurors deliberate honestly and thoughtfully?

My intro is below.

The Judicial system is a system in which the defendant's rely on the Jury to deliberate honestly and thoughtfully. In Twelve  Angry Men the Jurors have been given a explicit command by the judge to deliberate honestly and thoughtfully. However certain Jury members do not deliberate to their full potential but are thoughtful and honest when doing so. Jury members Five and Eleven are both afraid to deliberate due to the Fifth being from the 'slums' and is seen as an outcast and the Tenth being 'non-American' posing a threat to Juror Ten. Jurors Three and Ten deliberate and contribute a lot but are not honest and being thoughtful. The Third reflecting upon what he experienced with his son and taking his emotions out on the defendant assuming that 'all'​ kids are the same just like his son. Juror 8 deliberates honestly and thoughtfully, he takes all the evidence on hand and takes them into consideration,which is the duty of the Judicial system. Juror 7 is a Juror which does not want to deliberate and is not interested in the Judicial process he is more focused on things outside of the Jury room.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:01:28 pm by MaccaMe »

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: SOMEONE HELP! Introduction to Twelve Angry Men Essay.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:07:05 pm »
+1
Hmm, I think that it needs to be tightened up a little. There's a bunch of info in the introduction which doesn't seem relevant nor addresses the issue of honest and thoughtful deliberation holistically. You may want to discuss the effects of people's biases, their perception of life, circumstances as to why they may or may not deliberate honestly. You may say, for example, "Twelve Angry Men, explores the extent to which jurors deliberate honestly and thoughtfully in regarding a criminal case where.... Though there are some characters who invest themselves in seeking the truth, there are others who are faced with their own problems that they let their bias cloud their judgement, therefore not being able to honestly deliberate...." Something along those lines would be better because it is a holistic approach to the text.

Also, I felt that the first sentence though having some relevance have no place in the introduction because it is a response to the essay not a question about legal studies.
You may want to discuss the duties of jurors, whether they perceive the deliberation to be a serious issue of sending an innocent man to prison or whether they do not care about the outcome of the case as their reliance on the evidence proves otherwise? Discussion about surrounding events, like the heat (I don't know if it's in the text but I've only seen this reflected in the movie so I might be wrong) or personal conflicts, conflicts with people different from your own, personal biases which make someone not fully consider the effects of their deliberation should also be considered.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:08:46 pm by jeanweasley »
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University