Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:29:11 am

Author Topic: UMEP History?  (Read 3285 times)  Share 

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
UMEP History?
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:35 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm considering doing an extension study and history is the only one that really appeals to me - I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the subject, or has any general thoughts towards extension studies: are they worth the time, does the workload impact on your other studies? If I were to do a UMEP, I could be doing 3 subjects at school (as I'll already have done two 3/4s) and have 5 3/4s and a UMEP for my ATAR, which sounds extremely attractive right now. Any suggestions/help/thoughts are greatly appreciated :)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2013
UMEP History?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:49:01 pm »
Hi :) I'm doing UMEP psychology this year and loving it. It's a fantastic opportunity to get a sense of university life and certainly gives me greater direction towards what I want to study next year. I'm doing 4 VCE subjects this year and the workload is manageable, so I'm sure you'll be fine with 3 VCE subjects! UMEP subject are far more content heavy that any VCE subject, so it will make your Year 12 seem comparatively easy.
Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35
English (45) Business (50) Psychology (50) Health (46) Further (42)
Premier's Awards in Business Management and Psychology.

Places available for Skype tutoring in 2015, email me at [email protected]
Essay marking and feedback also available, contact me for details :)

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
Re: UMEP History?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:38:33 pm »
Thanks for that! I see you're doing VCE psych as well as UMEP psych, what's it like doing the two at the same time? I'm just asking, because wondering whether to maybe just do normal VCE History instead... Would you choose your extension psych over VCE psych? I've heard it's easier to get a 5.0 increment from an extension study than it is to get a 50 (roughly equivalent in how it affects ATAR)... Thanks in advance!
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:56:57 pm »
Thanks for that! I see you're doing VCE psych as well as UMEP psych, what's it like doing the two at the same time? I'm just asking, because wondering whether to maybe just do normal VCE History instead... Would you choose your extension psych over VCE psych? I've heard it's easier to get a 5.0 increment from an extension study than it is to get a 50 (roughly equivalent in how it affects ATAR)... Thanks in advance!
I thought having done the VCE subject (or at least doing it) was a pre-requisite to undertake extension studies?

But yes, it's definitely much easier to get a 5.0 increment than a raw 50.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

s.ay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »
Hey! I am doing MUEP history at the moment, having done VCE history last year. The workload is not huge, and through only doing four subjects in school I am finding myself with a nice number of study periods :)  I enjoy the subject as a whole and believe that I made the right decision in choosing to do it over another 3/4!
Always here to help!

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:25 am »
I thought having done the VCE subject (or at least doing it) was a pre-requisite to undertake extension studies?

But yes, it's definitely much easier to get a 5.0 increment than a raw 50.

Yeah, it's a bit weird with UMEP History, the pre-requisites for it are Australia/Global Politics 3/4, which is what I'm doing this year, don't know why a History isn't required  :-\
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:03:20 am »
Hey! I am doing MUEP history at the moment, having done VCE history last year. The workload is not huge, and through only doing four subjects in school I am finding myself with a nice number of study periods :)  I enjoy the subject as a whole and believe that I made the right decision in choosing to do it over another 3/4!

Hi! Thanks for replying :) I've heard a few horror stories about the difficulty of the VCE Revolutions workload - would you say the UMEP workload is similar in scope? (Would you do Revs over the UMEP if you could only do one?)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

s.ay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
Yeah Revs is a killer compared to uni hist. I am doing no where near as much for history this year, but having said that, I am not enjoying it as much. I miss Revs, but I did have the advantage of doing it in year 11 and thus having more time to just enjoy it. It is a very content heavy course, whereas uni history changes per semester, so you don't have to retain the knowledge for the whole year. Sorry this is a ridiculously jumbled reply! Hope it helps regardless :)
Always here to help!

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
UMEP History?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:27:01 pm »

There's not too much overlap between UMEP psych and VCE psych, especially as the content at Uni is taught very differently to school. I'm not sure if this would be the same for history. I actually enjoy my extension study more, despite being more work, so I would happily choose this over VCE psych anyway. However, I do agree that it would be easier to achieve a 50 in a VCE subject than attain a 5.0 increment. Also, if you were to achieve a 50 then this could contribute to your core 4 subjects, whereas extension studies cannot.
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35
English (45) Business (50) Psychology (50) Health (46) Further (42)
Premier's Awards in Business Management and Psychology.

Places available for Skype tutoring in 2015, email me at [email protected]
Essay marking and feedback also available, contact me for details :)