Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:11 pm

Author Topic: Useful links and posts regarding select-entry school tests  (Read 65592 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
+13
For MHS/Mac.Rob/etc.:

For JMSS:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:16:41 pm by pi »

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Re: Useful links and posts regarding select-entry school tests
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:41 pm »
+2
For MHS/Mac.Rob/etc.:

For JMSS:
Nice job pi! Just a few typos in there (I know it's small but yeah.. >.<)
And I think you can also chuck in the Practice Test that they have for the MHS/Mac.Rob in here too: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/secondary/pages/practicetests.aspx?Redirect=1
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:16:26 pm by IndefatigableLover »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:32:46 pm »
Oops, thanks :)

Rahmaali

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:55:20 am »
+2
http://www.khanacademy.org

this website helps heaps ;)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:33 pm »
+1
If you're going to make a helpful thread with tips and then remove the contents of it for whatever reason, can you please let mods know so we can update this thread accordingly? It has happened a couple of times over the last few years without our knowledge, and even though I'm really disappointed in those JMSS users who retracted their advice, I can't stop you but we'd appreciate if you let us know.

Nanditha

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:02:56 pm »
Hello,

i am in year 8. Can i write the year 9 JMSS exam ???
Please need some help  ;D ;D :o :o
PLS HELP

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:08:24 pm »
Hello,

i am in year 8. Can i write the year 9 JMSS exam ???
Please need some help  ;D ;D :o :o
PLS HELP
sorry I'm a little confused, can you rephrase the question? Are you wanting to sit the exam in year 8 or are you wanting to know if there is a writing section? (Btw there is both numerical reasoning and an essay)

Nanditha

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 02:40:04 pm »
sorry I'm a little confused, can you rephrase the question? Are you wanting to sit the exam in year 8 or are you wanting to know if there is a writing section? (Btw there is both numerical reasoning and an essay)

its that i want to write the exam now when i am in year 8 !
is that possible??
thanks

Nanditha

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »
hello all,

i am in a fix  >:( >:(
i plan to write the exam for selective test
i want to become a neurosurgeon or genetic researcher
i am also aiming for JMSS
some say that nossal is best for medical career and it is also in the monash uni campus
any suggestions, opinions, personal experiences would be greatly appreciated ;D ;D ;D

thanks....

SPandey

• Fresh Poster
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 02:04:14 pm »
This is about the Macrob workload vs John Monash workload.
Which one would you consider has a worse workload?

MayankAnand

• Trailblazer
  • School: Buckley Park
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:05:00 pm »
Hey pi, wondering if you could help me out with this.
So I got my results for Suzanne Cory and Nossal today, just had a question though. How many superiors does a person need to get in?  Any ideas? I got 3 Superiors, 2 Above averages and 1 High average. Disappointed and worried I'm not gonna get in.

Thanks,
Mayank

TwinNerd

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:44 am »
+2
sorry I know I'm not pi, but I thought i could offer you quick answer.
I think you have a pretty good chance. There isn't really a cut-off about how many superiors you need to get it. It's all about how well you did against other people who did the test and how many people in your school did better than you (5% rule)

I got into macrob with 4 superiors, some of my friends got in with 3 or 2 superiors and other people missed out with 3 superiors. It all depends on how well the people in your current school did. My sister got 2 superiors and missed out on macrob and got straight into suzanne cory. But the school that we came from were super competitive, 3 boys got into melbourne high ( two of them got 6 superiors!!!) and 3 girls got in to macrob + countless others into suzanne cory. I wouldn't stress, I honestly think you have a very good chance, if not you should most definitely get an interview at the very least.
Good Luck!
2015: Biology: 40 | Accounting: 38
2016: | Further Maths: 47 | Chemistry: 38 | Mathematical Methods CAS: 37 | English Language: 47 |
ATAR : 98.15
Bachelor of Commerce 2017-2020 /

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard."

MayankAnand

• Trailblazer
  • School: Buckley Park
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:47 am »
sorry I know I'm not pi, but I thought i could offer you quick answer.
I think you have a pretty good chance. There isn't really a cut-off about how many superiors you need to get it. It's all about how well you did against other people who did the test and how many people in your school did better than you (5% rule)

I got into macrob with 4 superiors, some of my friends got in with 3 or 2 superiors and other people missed out with 3 superiors. It all depends on how well the people in your current school did. My sister got 2 superiors and missed out on macrob and got straight into suzanne cory. But the school that we came from were super competitive, 3 boys got into melbourne high ( two of them got 6 superiors!!!) and 3 girls got in to macrob + countless others into suzanne cory. I wouldn't stress, I honestly think you have a very good chance, if not you should most definitely get an interview at the very least.
Good Luck!

Thanks alot dude, you've managed to calm me down.
-Mayank

enochappathurai

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 06:23:57 pm »
+9
Found this thread very useful last year, so props to everyone, especially Pi, for getting me that spot in MHS.

Didn't waste my time on tuitions that focused on repetition. Hendersons' did fine to get my theory up to scratch.

The repetition IS, however, very important. I spent hours upon hours combing through WordPress directories, PDF storage places, and all other kinds of places on the web and came back with 21.2MB choc-a-bloc full of exercises. NOTE: I do not own the copyright to any of these, so all you lawyers, please DO let me know if I'm breaking any laws here. Anyway, the folder can be found at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/selective-prep/selective-prep.github.io/master/Archive.zip.

Feel free to scan for viruses etc before you download, or just get it on an iPad and make sure it's safe. Best of luck!

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 07:00:41 am »
Hey guys, I got an interview into Suzzane CORY and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of questions they will ask me, and what I should answer. And if it a group interview or just one on one, because they said that the interview was going to take an hour and a half long. The interview is in a few days so if anyone could answers asap that would be greatly appreciated.  ;D