Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:33 pm

Author Topic: VCE Business Management Question Thread!  (Read 228160 times)  Share 

Damoz.G

Re: VCE Business Management Question Thread!
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 09:56:07 am »
+1
tcstudent, this is my sample answer for the second Question that you posted. I was able to find which Exam the second question was from to get the Mark Allocation (10 Marks), but I couldn't find the Mark Allocation for the first Question. Could you please tell me which year it was from?

I'm not saying that this is the perfect answer for a 10/10, but take from it what you wish to. :)

Happy to answer any Questions about it. ;)

Change management theories provide a template for successful change in large-scale organisations.
Explain how Kotter’s change management theory could be used to
• promote driving forces for change
• reduce restraining forces for change
• promote the use of low-risk practices.

In your response, include an example from a large-scale organisation or significant change issue that you have studied this year. (10 Marks)

Kotter’s theory of change management has a number of stages that relates to a person’s response and approach to change, in which people see, feel and change. His theory can be used for any change occurring within a large scale organisation.

Driving forces are those forces affecting a situation that are pushing in a particular direction and are supporting the goal or proposed change. When addressing the change issue, the leader must be able to use Kotter’s theory by clearly explaining the issue and its impact on the organisation’s stakeholders. For example, a recently significant change management issue is Woolworth’s decision to stop selling caged eggs by 2018. It is crucial for the leader at Woolworths who is managing the change to clearly outline the reasoning (possibly due to customer demand), and explain benefits of the change. Another principle of Kotter’s theory is for the change team to create a vision for the organisation. When the change issue has been addressed, the change team at Woolworths may clarify and further explain to its employees and stakeholders how the organisation will be better off with the change occurring. When this has been outlined, stakeholders are more likely going to support the change occurring, and will thus become a driving force because of the potential gains that arise from the change (more customers coming to an ethically and socially responsible organisation who takes responsibility for its impact on the environment).   

Restraining forces are forces that act to restrain or decrease the driving forces for change. Another principle of Kotter’s change theory is to communicate the vision. It is important for Woolworths to get as many employees involved in making the change happen. Failure to understand the benefits of change happening means that the employee will not demonstrate support for the change, and will instead attempt to stop it from occurring. One particular stakeholder is the current suppliers who distribute the caged eggs to Woolworth’s stores. The suppliers would attempt to stop Woolworth’s decision because of how it negatively impacts on them (not being able to sell caged eggs and earn money from the sale).

Low-risk practices are a participative approach to the implementation of change, use of communication, work groups and support for those who are impacted. One characteristic of low-risk practices is empowering employees to make decisions, which is also one of Kotter’s change management principles. By doing this at Woolworths, will allow employees to remove obstacles. By allowing the employees at Woolworths to make decisions that will benefit the organisation,  means that they are more likely going to feel supported and continue to drive the change happening. Employees who make good decisions should be recognised and rewarded for their commitment. Another principle of Kotter’s change theory is the consolidation of the changes. One factor of low-risk practices is that there is two-way communication between management and employees. Once the feedback has been received from the organisation’s stakeholders including customers, management and employees should evaluate the feedback. Employees who are part of this stage are more likely going to demonstrate further support for the change, because of their large involvement in the change process. They will feel that their input is valued, and is taken into consideration by the senior management at Woolworths.

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:44 pm »
HEY, I was just wondering if we needed to know the different methods of production a firm may use? For example, mass customization or batch production. As these are in my textbook (essentials), but are not on many of the notes in the resources section. 
Also are there only three types of layout we should know; fixed position, Process and Product. Or would you recommend learning more?
Same with structures throughout the notes section there's only 4 appearing usually; matrix, functional, operational, divisional.
Thank you in advance, this thread has been extremely helpful :D

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:56:20 pm by unfamila »

lala1911

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »
Yes you need to know that. There was a question on production and layout in 2011 or 2012. They only use product, process and fixed I believe. Also, the 4 structures I know of are functional, divisional, matrix and network < (hardly used)

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »
Hello all,
I actually haven't spoken on here before but here I am now.
I am wondering if any of you could rank the difficulty of the commercial papers available, and the one people believe match the vcaa exams the best.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

lala1911

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 11:06:55 pm »
Hello all,
I actually haven't spoken on here before but here I am now.
I am wondering if any of you could rank the difficulty of the commercial papers available, and the one people believe match the vcaa exams the best.
I have a whole booklet of past exams. In terms of difficulty, most are REALLY good compared to other subjects. They test what I believe is most likely to be seen on exams. They are pretty specific to VCAA exams, not too easy and not ridiculously hard.

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2013, 08:54:02 am »
Any ones in specific?
I'd prefer practicing on something on par or even harder than vcaa standards.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 12:07:36 am »
What are some similarities between maslow and lockes theory of motivation.

lala1911

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:14 am »
What are some similarities between maslow and lockes theory of motivation.
Simm:
- Both aim to motivate
- Both encourage recognition and feedback (Locke's is with reviewing of the goals and making amendments and with Maslow its in the self-esteem stage where employees are recognised, e.g merit & performance review

Diff:
- Hierarchical structure vs goal setting theory
- Locke's is more dependent on the employee actually achieving the goal where as Maslow's is highly dependent on the manager, as they are the ones supplying the salary.. working conditions.. job security.. merits..

Nato

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2013, 06:14:45 pm »
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had troubles with finishing the exam on time. Doing some of the past VCAA papers under timed conditions i realised that i was really short for time towards the end. i know my content  quite well, but since i was running out of time i couldn't really invest time into making quality answers, and left them very general.

does anyone have any tips for these problems?

thanks.
Class of 2014.

Damoz.G

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2013, 06:21:29 pm »
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had troubles with finishing the exam on time. Doing some of the past VCAA papers under timed conditions i realised that i was really short for time towards the end. i know my content  quite well, but since i was running out of time i couldn't really invest time into making quality answers, and left them very general.

does anyone have any tips for these problems?

thanks.

* Spend no more than 2 minutes per mark for a question. If it is taking you near 2 minutes or more than 2 minutes, move onto the next question.
* Do the questions that require a heavier weighting. Do the 5-10 Mark Questions before the 3-4 Mark Questions.
* And of course, just keep practicising by doing more exams as well. Its the only way that you will get better.

Good Luck!

lala1911

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2013, 06:31:51 pm »
Just write fast, examiners are used to messy handwriting. It always helped me in business SACs. Business is the only subject where I cant finish the exam so I just scribble out words and now I can finish  :P :P :P

Damoz.G

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2013, 06:53:19 pm »
Just write fast, examiners are used to messy handwriting. It always helped me in business SACs. Business is the only subject where I cant finish the exam so I just scribble out words and now I can finish  :P :P :P

Same here. I write really messy for BM SACs and even on my Trial Exam. Its still easy to read, but its not my normal handwriting. HAHA!

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2013, 08:49:49 pm »
Hey guys, I have two questions:

1. What is the relationship between the human resource management function and the business objectives and the business strategy.

2. What is the relationship between the operations function , business objectives and business strategies?

For question 1 I said that operations management allows the strategic goal of the organization to be met.
Whilst for question 2 I said that the hr function allows the organizations employees to be more productive and consequently better achieves the objectives.

I'm not sure if these answers are right.

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2013, 09:57:27 pm »
1. Human resources function is all about managing the relationships of the employees in an organisation. If the right employees with the right skills and attitudes are recruited then it can result in higher productivity meaning things are done more effectively which saves costs and helps achieves business objectives.

2. Operations function is about productivity (amount of outputs produced from a set level of inputs). The more outputs that a business is able to produce then they will be able to meet demand and achieve objectives (e.g. to sell a certain amount of items per day).
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »
1. Human resources function is all about managing the relationships of the employees in an organisation. If the right employees with the right skills and attitudes are recruited then it can result in higher productivity meaning things are done more effectively which saves costs and helps achieves business objectives.

2. Operations function is about productivity (amount of outputs produced from a set level of inputs). The more outputs that a business is able to produce then they will be able to meet demand and achieve objectives (e.g. to sell a certain amount of items per day).

But how do they relate to strategies?