Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:56:21 pm

Author Topic: Best way to learn 3/4 VCE Biology/Chemistry curriculums on your own?  (Read 2682 times)  Share 

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Hi guys,

I'm a mature age first year B-Science student and I never really had much exposure to the sciences before this degree.

I feel like there are gaps in my knowledge and I'd like to self-teach myself the 3/4 Biology and Chemistry curriculums as well as revising the 3/4 Physics.

I didn't do VCE in Victoria so I have no idea how it works or what the degree of standardisation is.  Are there fixed textbooks with question sets/practise exams for all 3/4 subject curriculums?  How would I get a hold of such a thing?  I already watch Khan Academy and use Coursera sometimes but it would be good especially to have problems/sample SACs to work on?

Thanks for any insight.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: Best way to learn 3/4 VCE Biology/Chemistry curriculums on your own?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:08:46 am »
there are fixed textbooks. just go to academic and general in the city and buy the 3/4 chem and 3/4 bio textbook, and then you could buy the atarnotes study guides

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Best way to learn 3/4 VCE Biology/Chemistry curriculums on your own?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
For biology, I strongly recommend Nature of a Biology for its in-depth explanations, strong diagrams and good presentation.

For chemistry, I recommend Heinemann Chemistry, as it explores all the concepts quite well. Not as good a chemistry textbook as NoB is a biology textbook though.

You can definitely self-teach from these. It should be even easier to do so, because you're not being assessed, which means you can go through the book in greater detail than a VCE student might.

Good luck!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School