Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:00:01 am

Author Topic: 10 Mark Question  (Read 5325 times)  Share 

lokzo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +75
10 Mark Question
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:43:45 am »
Does anyone know anything about the upcoming 2013 10 mark question?
I was hoping it wouldn't be on Kotters Change Theory

ANY THOUGHTS MUCH APPRECIATED

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -1
  • School: Sacred Heart College
Re: 10 Mark Question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:33:51 am »
Some VCAA sources have told me ''it is Kotter's theory.''

Damoz.G

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:38:56 am »
Whilst Kotter's Theory was poorly done in the past 2 years, I don't think it will be back for a third time in a row.

I think it will have something to do with Unit 3 content, such as Policy Development, Corporate Culture, etc.

RKelly

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MHS
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
'VCAA sources' sounds like bs

I'm pretty sure there's been a change in the exam, as in the 10 mark question is no longer definitely on change like in past years, it can come from anywhere in the study design. So if they were making that change, I doubt they would ask about change or Kotter. They still might though.

Questions I can think of that are big enough for 10 marks:
Compare and contrast motivation theories (Maslow, Herzberg, Locke)
Compare and contrast management structures (functional, divisional, matrix)
Compare and contrast management styles (autocratic, persuasive, consultative, participative)
Startegies in Operations management (materials, facilitates and design layout, technology, quality)
Advantages and disadvantages of centralised and decentralised systems
Advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing
Kotter's 8 steps

What else is there?

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »
I think a commonly over-looked statement made by VCAA is the fact that this question may branch from both units. Therefore, I am lead to believe that the question itself may be a combination of both Unit 3 and Unit 4 knowledge. So they could ask a question relating to how HR complements corporate strategy. Just go through the dotpoints in the study design and you'll soon see what they have not examined. There are some possibilities such as how fulfilling the four employee expectations may lead to a more efficient pursuit of corporate strategies and  the ways in which HR complements corporate strategy. I will list some possibilities from the top of my head:

- Discuss the ways in which Operations and Human Resources complement  corporate strategy ( 2 marks for clear definitions, 2 marks for each explanation (x2)), and idenitfy and justify performance indicators an organisation may use to measure the extent to which HR and Operations has been successful in enhancing overall organisational performance (2 marks for identify and 2 for justification).

- This year you have studied a large-scale organisation. Explain, in detail, the potential management styles adopted by management at this organisation and the necessary skills required to allow for an effective implementation of this style. Discuss how these skills could be used to minimise conflict that may arise between stakeholders of your organisation. In your answer you should justify why management would adopt this management style.

- At organisation blah, Operations management has recently experienced a decrease in productivity rates and a decrease in their business competitiveness. Discuss two strategies that managers may adopt to optimise operations' processes. Explain straetgies organisation blah may adopt to minimise potential employee resistance that may occur due to the implementation of this change.

I like this thread, let's keep the discussion up.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:17:58 pm by Monsieur Kebab »
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

theahahahaha

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Aloysius College
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:13:24 pm »
It might be about issues on ethics and social responsibility as well yeah?
Reasons to breathe: To smell the rain, to be filled with the fresh chill of autumn, to be like the trees, and to hear someone's heartbeat in time with you own.
Oh, and to study too.

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »
I think it will have something to do with Unit 3 content, such as Policy Development, Corporate Culture, etc.

Yeah there's a good chance of policy development appearing. How would they have a 10marker on corporate culture? Has there been one before?
Currently tutoring Business Management [50].  Spots open for 2015

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Get in my Beamer Benz or Bentley
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »
Yeah there's a good chance of policy development appearing. How would they have a 10marker on corporate culture? Has there been one before?

I'd say it could be part of the question, but very unlikely, it seems too ambiguous to be part of a 10 mark question. You couldn't relate it well with any other AoS, so it wouldn't flow with the question. 10 mark questions always flow, like any other question.

What I mean is that the questions asked can flow on from another.. Something simple like
"Productivity levels in x business have fallen.
  • It is apparent that staff are demotivated, Identify and explain motivational theory that can help remotivate the employees.
  • Identify and outline two strategies in the operations management function that can help increase productivity
  • Identify and justify two indicators that can evaluate the success of the actions taken by the organisation

Something like that :)

Each question more or less leads to the next, which allows a flowing discussion that I think will help!
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

English, Physics, Chemistry, Methods, Further, Business

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »
I hate questions relating to corporate culture, they really piss me off!
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

- Discuss the ways in which Operations and Human Resources complement  corporate strategy ( 2 marks for clear definitions, 2 marks for each explanation (x2)), and idenitfy and justify performance indicators an organisation may use to measure the extent to which HR and Operations has been successful in enhancing overall organisational performance (2 marks for identify and 2 for justification).

- This year you have studied a large-scale organisation. Explain, in detail, the potential management styles adopted by management at this organisation and the necessary skills required to allow for an effective implementation of this style. Discuss how these skills could be used to minimise conflict that may arise between stakeholders of your organisation. In your answer you should justify why management would adopt this management style.

- At organisation blah, Operations management has recently experienced a decrease in productivity rates and a decrease in their business competitiveness. Discuss two strategies that managers may adopt to optimise operations' processes. Explain straetgies organisation blah may adopt to minimise potential employee resistance that may occur due to the implementation of this change.

I am very interested in the questions you have put forth. How would you answer and approach them?
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 04:16:30 pm »
'VCAA sources' sounds like bs

I'm pretty sure there's been a change in the exam, as in the 10 mark question is no longer definitely on change like in past years, it can come from anywhere in the study design. So if they were making that change, I doubt they would ask about change or Kotter. They still might though.

Questions I can think of that are big enough for 10 marks:
Compare and contrast motivation theories (Maslow, Herzberg, Locke)
Compare and contrast management structures (functional, divisional, matrix)
Compare and contrast management styles (autocratic, persuasive, consultative, participative)
Startegies in Operations management (materials, facilitates and design layout, technology, quality)
Advantages and disadvantages of centralised and decentralised systems
Advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing
Kotter's 8 steps

What else is there?

I was joking, of course it was BS.

Damoz.G

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 04:20:43 pm »

No, but it could link to Policy Development.

e.g. Referring to an Organisation you have studied this year, name a policy change that occurred within the organisation and explain the process that would've been undertaken to implement this policy. Discuss the impact and change of Corporate Culture on the establishing of this policy. 

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 04:32:44 pm »
I am very interested in the questions you have put forth. How would you answer and approach them?

Hey, I am glad that you asked! I am currently in the process of insane amounts of revision. However, I will post up some short solutions to these questions soon. I have basically just tried to identify things that haven't been examined (to my knowledge). I am surprised that no one has mentioned something on Employee Relations, that small intricate component to our course surprisingly underpins a vast majority of our study and that is why if you put the course into context there is not one thing that you couldn't relate to the other. Look at key words in notes that you make. The words 'productivity, complements and morale' are scattered throughout my notes. Here is a question on Policy development for you:

At organisation 'potatoes are really yummy' there are has been recent conflict between management and employees regarding the current Awards system. After long discussion it has been decided that the organisation is to adopt a collective agreement. Explain how management would develop and implement this new collective agreement. Discuss what necessary standards would be in this agreement and the test that would determine the suitability of the agreement. You should include in your answer an explanation of the strategy in terms of policy development and provide a clear definition for what a collective agreement is.
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

lokzo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:59:35 pm »
How would people compare and contrast functional, matrix and a divisional?

ALSO

What are the possible ethics and social responsibility questions that may be the 10 marker?

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »
No, but it could link to Policy Development.

e.g. Referring to an Organisation you have studied this year, name a policy change that occurred within the organisation and explain the process that would've been undertaken to implement this policy. Discuss the impact and change of Corporate Culture on the establishing of this policy.

That sounds bloody complicated. What do we even have to know about an organisation, like, everything? I thought it was just in relation to change... How wrong was I.