Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:23:42 am

Author Topic: Doing 1/2 Art, should I then do 3/4 Art or 3/4 Studio Art?  (Read 4895 times)  Share 

e.m.i.l.y

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Doing 1/2 Art, should I then do 3/4 Art or 3/4 Studio Art?
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:06 pm »
Hello!
Thank you in advance for reading this, and I'm sorry to start a new thread (I'm new here and I don't know if that's the thing to do if you have a question or whatever, sorry!)

Anyway, I am going into Year 11 next year and I am doing Art 1/2 by Distance Ed (because of a clash with 3/4 Japanese.)
I was going to do Studio Art by Distance and then join the 3/4 class in Year 12 when I have finished Japanese, but I've just been told that next year they are only offering Art by Distance Ed. However, they only offer Studio Art at my school so I would either have to do 3/4 Art by Distance Ed, or switch to 3/4 Studio Art and be in a class at school.

If anyone has done Art or Studio Art and has some idea about the differences involved, what it's like to study the subject by Distance Ed, etc - I would really appreciate it if you could help me out!
I read in another forum that SA is about 30% theory, and Art is about 50% theory. I think I would really enjoy the theory side of art (not joking here, I literally spend my free time watching art documentaries and reading books about artists, etc.) which is why I am really happy about doing art. But then, I'm not sure whether this is enough to justify me doing a subject by Distance Ed when I could do a similar one in a class?

Thank you for reading all of this and I hope I made sense!
If anyone has any input, it would be very very very much appreciated :------)
class of twenty fifteen.

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
Re: Doing 1/2 Art, should I then do 3/4 Art or 3/4 Studio Art?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:33:59 pm »

I didn't study Art by Distance Ed, so I can't help you a lot there, but I can describe the course. There is quite a bit of theory and analysis but I wouldn't say it's split 50/50. You spend heaps more time on folio. In 3/4 this year we had two major research projects. Our first was a research project comparing and contrasting an artist's works from before 1970 with an artist after 1970. The second was discussing an art issue with analysis of artworks and commentaries ( it was about the same word length) We also had SACs on both of these projects. As well as that we got art analysis practice more or less every week, but that was more informal preparation for the exam.  I think 1/2 Art is a little more flexible and I'm not sure if you'll do quite as much written work but it depends on what your teacher wants.

I think Art is the kind of subject you could do via distance, especially if you're a self driven person. The problem might be materials, but if you can borrow from your art department that could be fine. The question is whether you'd prefer to do that or join your Studio buddies. There's actually a negligible contrast between the two subjects, though I know that I'm glad I chose Art and preferred over the strict course structure I saw my friends following.  That said, you wouldn't suffer adversely if you did Studio instead. I'd say do Studio after a year if you feel like you need a strong course structure to guide you and people around you to motivate you and you don't mind learning about curatorship and how to store artworks and whatnot.  On the other hand if you're more interested in art history and you feel self driven, do Art. You might relish the greater freedom it offers.

masonruc

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Werrimull P-12
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:49:52 am »
ART AND STUDIO ARE NOT SIMILAR.

Art and studio are two different subjects by far, although not in the previous study designs. Art focuses on the way art is interpreted by society and art history. It explores the difference in pre and post 1970 artists and their works. you also explore the issues facing the art industry which will be chosen by your school or they may let you make that decision. This year I explored the validity of performance art as my issue (if that helps) there is so much you can do. Art annotation in your folio must reflect at some stage the frameworks, compared to studio arts which is more broad.

Studio Arts looks at the practical side of art, the process in which it is made, the reasoning behind the artist practical methodologies and so forth. Studio Arts explores the gallery and how it functions, and the many various gallery spaces and their roles in the display and increasing the longevity of art. Hence a major component of studio art also looks at the the legal and ethical laws surrounding the creation, and reproduction of works. Studio due to its exploration of the art industry heavy emphasis is placed on your folio rather than in art.

Therefore I highly recommend that you undertake art, as you are intrigued in the history side of it rather than the practical world of the art industry. however art also requires a folio and you will need access to materials so maybe consolidate with your school on this. I believe that if you are truly this passionate about art, like myself than in year 12 maybe you could do both 3/4 studio and art (via distant ed).

Many students at my school due to its location and size have done subjects via distant ed, as long as your independent and motivated you will be fine.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME OR ASK ANYMORE QUESTIONS
Bachelor of Arts @UoM

Double Major Criminology/Psychology
Breadth: Bio
Just coz: Italian

e.m.i.l.y

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:43 pm »
Thank you both so, so much - your answers were really helpful (◡‿◡✿)
I still have quite a while to decide on which 3/4 art subject I will do in 2015, but I'm glad that I now have a much clearer understanding in regards to the differences between Art and Studio Art, and what they require. The way my teachers have been speaking, it's sounded like the two subjects are quite similar, so thank you for pointing out the differences!
Art definitely sounds like the one I would be more interested in, so hopefully I will go alright with Distance Ed next year so that I am happy to continue it the year after.
Thank you again!
class of twenty fifteen.