Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:43:25 pm

Author Topic: MUEP vs UMEP  (Read 2935 times)  Share 

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
MUEP vs UMEP
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:20:48 am »
Hi guys,
Currently I got accepted in to MUEP for Mathematics and I will get my result for UMEP probably on Monday next week. NOT so sure if I can get accepted into UMEP or not, but IF I do, what do you guys think I should choose ? Despite of the amount of tuition I have to pay for Monash, which one do you prefer in terms of lecturers, covered concepts during the course and exam difficulty. Just one more question, if I do MUEP or UMEP, what kind of Bachelor can I get credit for ?
Thanks heaps guy and congratulation for all students who got accepted for the Extension.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
Re: MUEP vs UMEP
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:51:54 am »
Alwin in posted his opinions about this on a thread sometime earlier. Only some of this will be relevant to you though. Here is the quote:

No problem Student0001 :)

Yes, the classes run only once a week for both MUEP and UMEP.
However, most years only the Monash Uni Campus one runs for MUEP, whereas UMEP runs at many school centres. BUT, some I hear are "better" than others in term of teaching style, for example my sessions are 2 hour lectures then 1 hour tute. At some other centres its just the lecture, so you have to stay back to ask questions etc. Also, the session times are listed here:
Scroll down to the "Mathematics: Extension Program Mathematics for High-Achieving Students" section and click on it
The MUEP on campus one runs after schools on Monday from 4.30 to 6.30.  Just lecture, you can stay back to ask questions

Now, for the other part of your question. "Hard" is quite a subjective term, so I'll try give an objective description:

MUEP:
Having done the semester two exam and attended the majority of the course, the majority is based on proofs and very little rote learning. For example, on the exam we had to semi-derive semi-prove a second derivative formula like first principles in methods. You get a cheat sheet for the exam, but it's not that much use as the emphasis is on "explain" and "prove" and "link" one specific question to a generalisation.

Overall, it hits upon multiple topics, almost double the umep amount since this is a full year course and the lecturer Burkard Polster presents it in an interesting, easy-to-understand manner

UMEP:
The exams are in a month, but looking at past exams it's very rigorous and covers topics in a bit more depth than MUEP in some areas because it is a one semester course spread over one year. There also is a great focus on rigorous proofs and the questions in exams are more structured and multiparted in comparison to a say, 10 mark proof question in MUEP.

Overall, covers less topic but since it's spread out over double the time there are more formal proofs as to why stuff works, what natural number are, and is a bit more abstract. Also, it depends a bit on what lecturer you have, since it depends on the school centre AND I should warn you that not all school centres run every year.

I actually would suggest applying for both and go to MUEP and UMEP for the first two weeks or so to decided which one you prefer. You're allowed to do this. MUEP doesn't charge any money or make any record if you drop out / change your mind within the first month.

Good luck with your decision + exams :)

PS: I think I will add a personal opinion,
Level of mathematics:  UMEP > MUEP    because it is more rigorous
Range of mathematics:  MUEP > UMEP    because it covers more
Interestingness:  MUEP > UMEP   because I like the lecturer
Class:  MUEP > UMEP  because I like the people in muep and there's only 5 in my umep class compared to 15
Facilities:  MUEP > UMEP  because UMEP is just at my own school and I find exploring monash uni before muep pretty fun

But yeah, up to you :) Also, I want to go to Monash University so I might be a little bit biased towards MUEP :))

Alwin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +241
Re: MUEP vs UMEP
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:36:05 pm »
Hi guys,
Currently I got accepted in to MUEP for Mathematics and I will get my result for UMEP probably on Monday next week. NOT so sure if I can get accepted into UMEP or not, but IF I do, what do you guys think I should choose ? Despite of the amount of tuition I have to pay for Monash, which one do you prefer in terms of lecturers, covered concepts during the course and exam difficulty. Just one more question, if I do MUEP or UMEP, what kind of Bachelor can I get credit for ?
Thanks heaps guy and congratulation for all students who got accepted for the Extension.

Accept both for now until you work out what uni you want to go to, travel times, etc etc :)

Monash: full year credit for maths in science automatically, you have to apply for the credit if you intend to do engineering or anything else -but usually you get the credit.
I liked monash a lot more, felt more *mathsey*. Huge emphasis on problem solving and the lecture(s) (Marty Ross might be doing it this year too!) really make it interesting:)
You can go for about a month before monash asks you to cough up the $$ so have a go!

Melbourne: half year credit for accelerated maths in science or engineering stream
Melbourne feels a lot more like vce... very structured and emphasis on repetition :P You might like that, but I much preferred Monash.

As for *difficulty*:
I know 2 99.95s that got 99% on the exam but then again my school mate also 99.95 got a bit less than me (87% overall). So I can't really make connection as to vce performance and university extension performance so won't be able to estimate a mark even if you tell me about your school results....

I guess just depends on if you like the course and if you're motivated! :)
2012:  Methods [48] Physics [49]
2013:  English [40] (oops) Chemistry [46] Spesh [42] Indo SL [34] Uni Maths: Melb UMEP [4.5] Monash MUEP [just for a bit of fun]
2014:  BAeroEng/BComm

A pessimist says a glass is half empty, an optimist says a glass is half full.
An engineer says the glass has a safety factor of 2.0