Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:14:36 am

Author Topic: Lit kids!  (Read 5320 times)  Share 

Capricious

Lit kids!
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:45:27 pm »
Hey guys who else here is doing Literature? Anyone else silly enough (like me) to have done it as their sole English and seriously underestimated the difficulty of the exam? Heh heh. Ah well it's almost over now anyway, what texts are you writing on in the exam? I'm doing Lear and The Hamilton Case. Lear's great but there's always so so much to write on you can lose track :S How many pages do you guys usually write in a practice essay (and do you get it done in the hour)? I just hope the Lit examiners will be forgiving with my handwriting...

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Lit kids!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:50:57 pm »
I'm doing Sugar and Other Stories and Wright's poetry. I'm kind of just excited to get Lit out of the way. I know what I'm going to talk about (probably). I usually get to about 1000 words (just) in the hour for my first one, a little less for the second. I too hope they are fogiving on the handwriting situation. Mine has gotten terrible recently.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Lit kids!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:02:50 pm »
meee
I'm doing Lear and Gatsby. Considered doing Wright's poetry.
I think it's mainly difficult because it's hard to know what is expected of you, if that makes sense. Like you can't read a whole essay on the examiners report, like you can with english. So I write whole essays and then have no idea if what I'm writing is relevant

Capricious

Lit kids!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:10:07 pm »
Quote from: "Eriny"
I'm doing Sugar and Other Stories and Wright's poetry. I'm kind of just excited to get Lit out of the way. I know what I'm going to talk about (probably). I usually get to about 1000 words (just) in the hour for my first one, a little less for the second. I too hope they are fogiving on the handwriting situation. Mine has gotten terrible recently.

Yeah a week ago (and even a couple of days ago), I was freaking out about the Lit exam but now I'm just so over stressing about it. Handwriting and Lit don't go together I've decided  :P

edit: yeah I totally agree goosefraba, and even the examiners can't make up their minds...I went to the VATE day and got hand outs which had sample analyses - and they were all a different style to eachother. Some of them had really formulaic introductions which the examiner reports always say not to do...

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Lit kids!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:43:38 pm »
haha on the subject of handwriting, i was just reading the 2006 assessors report and it says -

Students should be aware that poor spelling and handwriting are not penalised

then goes on to say something about them needing to be able to read it haha.

Capricious, I don't suppose you'd be able to post some of those samples up here? or on the gmail account? I have absolutely none, because there are never any lit lectures in my area. But if you don't have a scanner don't worry haha

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Lit kids!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:34:33 pm »
Haha there are some funny excerpts of 'poor responses' in the examiners reports...

Shakespeare was obviously going through a mid-life crisis

Insane_Emm

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Lit kids!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:01:02 pm »
is anybody here doing Donne's poetry, the white earth, or Antigone?
yeah thank GOD about the handwriting. mine begins legible then turns to utter crap
mm - Hunting the wild pineapple

'06 - Religion & Society
'07 - Indonesian Second Language, English, Literature, International Studies, Psychology.

brendan

Lit kids!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 08:02:44 pm »
greetings english nerds :)

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Lit kids!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:09:35 pm »
haha greetings  :D

f_2007

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
Lit kids!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 08:16:30 pm »
in reply to how many pages...i say i do about 4 with about 1000 words...Im doin Lear and Austen's sense and sensibility..both very easy to write on but hard to make it sound sophisticated...does anyone here sound as good as the model essays? i couldn't believe it when i read the model answers!

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Lit kids!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 08:20:48 pm »
Quote from: "f_2007"
does anyone here sound as good as the model essays? i couldn't believe it when i read the model answers!

god no. i read them last night. rather depressing

Capricious

Lit kids!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:37 am »
Quote from: "goosefraba"
Quote from: "f_2007"
does anyone here sound as good as the model essays? i couldn't believe it when i read the model answers!

god no. i read them last night. rather depressing

Where?

tankia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Lit kids!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 08:46:54 am »
I don't do year 12 lit, but I'm doing year 11 lit this year ^____^

I don't think I will be doing lit next year though ><;

For my exam we're doing Antigone..I think.. ><; And possibly poetry? I don't remember O_O
tankAsaurus ;D

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Lit kids!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 08:54:16 am »
Quote from: "Capricious"
Where?

VCAA assessment reports. They only give really short excerpts though

Insane_Emm

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Lit kids!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:49 am »
we did a prac exam, like most schools, and it depressed me INTENSELY when one of my best friends got 40/40. gaaaaaaaah. is anyone like me, and incredibly unprepared for thursday? i have psych the same day*groan*
mm - Hunting the wild pineapple

'06 - Religion & Society
'07 - Indonesian Second Language, English, Literature, International Studies, Psychology.