Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 12:52:14 am

Author Topic: German Help  (Read 7149 times)  Share 

dou0014

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: German Help
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 08:46:25 pm »
Auf jedenfall :) Schick mir mal was auch immer du willst und ich werde mein Bestes versuchen dir auszuhelfen :)
2011: Legal Studies [44]
2012: English [44] Psychology [44] Chemistry [32]  Maths Methods [29]  German [45]
Received full marks for oral examination. Providing tuition for German in 2014. Pm me if interested.
http://www.tutorlex.com.au/profile-page/?id=118

Bachelor of Arts/Law Monash University
ATAR: 98.55

fareseru

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
  • Respect: +43
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »
Bin auch da, wenn jemand Hilfe braucht :)

Ledda

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »
Bin auch einer, der euch helfen kann. Bitte mir eine Nachricht schicken, wenn ihr irgendwelche Fragen habt!
Was die ursprüngliche Frage anbetrifft, ich hab' mal ein paar Tipps:

Bei 'Hoffentlich' braucht man keine Umlaut. (d. H. Hoffentlich und nicht Höffentlich)

Bei dem Verb 'antworten' darf es keinen Objekt geben. So ein Verb bezeichnet man als 'intransitiv'. (Englisch: intransitive, what a surprise!) Deswegen kann es nur folgendes heißen:
- 'Ich antworte auf die Frage (mit Präposition, Akkusativ)'.
- 'I respond to the question'.
Man kann aber das Verb 'beantworten' verwenden, wenn man einen Objekt haben will. zB:
- 'Ich beantworte die Frage (als Objekt)'.
Das Präfix 'be-' verwandelt manchmal intransitive Verben in transitive Verben. zB: enden/beenden.

Statt eine Konjunktion zu benutzen, kann man auch die folgende Konstruktion benutzen (es müssen aber die Subjekte von beiden Satzteilen gleich sein!!!):
- 'Ich werde unten schlafen, um die Kinder nicht zu stören.'
Dies kann man die 'um... zu'-Konstruktion nennen.

Wohl heißt meistens 'well' im Sinne von 'I am feeling well' und nicht 'You did that very well'. (da heißt es im Deutschen 'gut')
- 'Ich fühle mich bei dir sehr wohl'.
- 'I feel quite well/good around you'.
ABER:
- 'Well, I guess you did it pretty well.'
- 'Naja/Also, du hast das ja ziemlich gut gemacht.'
Das Wort kann auch heißen, dass etwas sehr möglich ist.
- 'Das könnte wohl deine Mutter sein'.
- 'That could very well be your mother'.
- 'That's probs your mum'. (würde ich sagen)
Hier ist es klar, dass 'wohl' mit dem englischen 'well' verwandt ist.

Im Bezug auf die Wortstellung, bei den meisten Konjunktionen muss man das aktive Verb am Ende stellen.
Ich will eine Pizza <weil> Ich habe Hunger -> Ich will ein Pizza, weil ich Hunger habe.

Jetzt mal sehr schwer:

- Sie wäre doch ins Kino gegangen <wenn> Ihr Vater hätte nicht gesagt <dass> Sie darf nicht ins Kino.
- Sie wäre doch ins Kino gegangen, wenn ihr Vater nicht gesagt hätte, dass sie nicht ins Kino darf.
- She would have gone to the movies if her father hadn't said that she's not allowed to go to the movies.

Ich hoffe, ich habe dir (und den anderen!) etwas geholfen.

For those who want help understanding the above, I've translated it for you:
Spoiler
I'm also there for any help you need! Please send me a message if you have any questions at all.
As far as the original question in concerned, I have a couple of tips:

'Hoffentlich' doesn't have an umlaut (i.e. not 'Höffentlich')

With the verb 'antworten' you can't have a direct object, this kind of verb is called 'intransitive'. As such you can only say it like this:
- 'Ich antworte auf die Frage (mit Präposition, Akkusativ)'.
- 'I respond to the question'.
You can alternatively use 'beantworten' if you want to have a direct object. eg:
- 'Ich beantworte die Frage (as an object)'.
- 'I answer the question'.
The prefix 'be-' can sometimes turn intransitive verbs into transitive ones, like 'enden' and 'beenden'.

Instead of using a conjunction, you can also use the following construction (the subject of each phrase have to be the same though!!!):
- 'Ich werde unten schlafen, um die Kinder nicht zu stören.'
- 'I'll sleep downstairs in order to not wake the kids.' (literally, although in English this is a little funny sounding.)
Sometimes this is called the 'um... zu' construction.

Wohl usually means 'well' in the sense of 'I am feeling well' and not 'You did that very well'. (in this case you use 'gut' in German)
- 'Ich fühle mich bei dir sehr wohl'.
- 'I feel quite well/good around you'.
BUT:
- 'Well, I guess you did it pretty well.'
- 'Naja/Also, du hast das ja ziemlich gut gemacht.'
It can also mean that there is some sort of possibility involved:
- 'Das könnte wohl deine Mutter sein'.
- 'That could very well be your mother'.
- 'That's probs your mum'. (more like how I'd say it ;) )
You can see pretty clearly here that it's related the English word 'well'.

Regarding the word order, with most conjunctions you've gotta put the active (conjugated) verb at the end of the phrase. (look up 'coordinating and subordinating conjunctions')
Ich will eine Pizza <weil> Ich habe Hunger -> Ich will ein Pizza, weil ich Hunger habe.

Now real hard:

- Sie wäre doch ins Kino gegangen <wenn> Ihr Vater hätte nicht gesagt <dass> Sie darf nicht ins Kino.
- Sie wäre doch ins Kino gegangen, wenn ihr Vater nicht gesagt hätte, dass sie nicht ins Kino darf.
- She would have gone to the movies if her father hadn't said that she's not allowed to go to the movies.

I hope I've been of help to you (and everyone else!)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:02:13 pm by Ledda »
2014: Maths Methods (40), Italian (45)
2015: Spesh (38), German (43), English (46), Physics (38)
ATAR: 99.6

jw12

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 06:30:55 pm »
Does anyone have any specific advice on what I should mainly be doing at home in regard to preparing for the oral exam?

Ledda

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 07:05:05 pm »
Nothing is better than watching videos/movies (no subtitles!), speaking to real Germans, reading and writing (with natives) in general.
As for preparing specifically for the oral, I'd suggest doing two things.

1. Look for a list of possible questions for the general conversation online (if your teacher hasn't already given you a list of questions/topics) and write as much as you can about each one, and then in your spare time practice genuinely expressing the same ideas in German to yourself without referring to your written responses. This will help you get a feel for how you want to express these ideas. In fact, do this in English to begin with if you want. It's best to know exactly what YOU think at all before you even try to answer the question in German.

2. For the detailed study, write the 1 minute introduction and memorise it, it's not graded. Then, summarise all your sources in German and write some paragraphs about what you personally think of them, and how they relate to your study and with each other specifically. As above, practice doing this by yourself naturally in English first maybe, and then move on to German when you're comfortable.
2014: Maths Methods (40), Italian (45)
2015: Spesh (38), German (43), English (46), Physics (38)
ATAR: 99.6