Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:14 am

Author Topic: How to improve writing in Texts & Traditions  (Read 5044 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

How to improve writing in Texts & Traditions
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »
Our teacher doesn't really specify what's required of us and I really want to score 40+ for the subject.
I'd appreciate if anyone can share some advice/resources?

Thanks heaps.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: How to improve writing in Texts & Traditions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:27:55 pm »
+4
Wow, sorry... I've seen this post a number of times, it's a bit late now, but I always thought that someone else could answer it better than me.  I was like you, I really wanted the 40+ (and still do) but no one answered.

For you 2015ers and beyond, here are a couple of hints (I'll write a full thread on it later, hopefully much clearer than this):

- practise writing concisely and ultra-ultra fast - the 2-hour exam is the crunch!

- a lot of it is about getting down the facts, rather than how you get them down - unless you don't have much to say, just stick it on paper as fast as you can without paying too much attention to beautiful writing (which was my downfall).

- how well you write/sentence structure isn't that important; obviously it will impact how the examiner sees you, but they shouldn't take off more than one mark. 

- throughout the year compile a list of big-sounding words, (e.g. eschatological, Parousia, soteriological, universality, Davidic, Magnificat, annunciation, divine/salvific purpose/plan) that you come across in commentaries etc.; define what they mean if you don't know, find out how to use them in sentences, and use them as much as you possibly can - before long you'll forget that you never knew them.  They don't even have to be big words, just words that directly relate to your text.

- pick out important phrases/verses throughout your text, memorise them and their SPECIFIC reference and use them in writing.  It's not essential but especially if you're lacking in other things (like how to structure an essay, which was my issue) it gives you an advantage, as it shows that you Know Things.

- how you structure or answer things is pretty flexible; don't stress too much, just develop your own style.  I got scared because I didn't know the Right Way to structure answers; so when it came to the essays, I freaked out and thus only wrote 2-3 the whole year, apart from the exam.  Which is where I therefore fell apart on the exam.

- use headings and structure, maybe even charts, diagrams and tables, for extended response.  It's more about the facts, so make it clear that you know your stuff and aren't just trying to pad it out.

- if you don't know any details and try to fluff it out, guess what it'll sound like?  Fluffy.  The best basis is
really thoroughly knowing your stuff; it really helps you write faster and gives you drive and direction in your writing.  Ultimately, it's the facts (and then deeper understanding of the implications of the facts) that get you marks.

- read your set text lots of times throughout the year until you know it inside out, probably listen to an audio recording, e.g. https://www.biblegateway.com/audio/dramatized/niv/Luke.1

- practise writing lots of previous exam questions and exegeses through the year - preferably on at least half of your special chapters - and get your teacher to mark as many as possible.

- possibly even post stuff you write here; I'd try to give a bit of feedback, and others would LOVE to see what you've written.

And... I'll address other stuff in a separate post, this was just what I thought of on the spot.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care