Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:44:41 pm

Author Topic: How do you successfully study for English Language?  (Read 856 times)  Share 

2penguin4u

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: decv
How do you successfully study for English Language?
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:03:31 am »
Englang noob here. I feel as if I am on the right track by being able to link ideas across the subsystems but phwoar  x____x there is a lot stuff to know. How did you manage it and are there any good study guides for this subject?

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: How do you successfully study for English Language?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »
I'd like to second this question!

I have my first outcome in four days and listening to my teacher go through the past outcomes and what is expected of us I feel like I've been absent for half the term >:|
I seriously have knowledge gaps everywhere! (And it's not for lack of revision/attendance)

Ugh
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

aqple

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »
Englang is challenging. I recommend doing some analyses (Section 2 of exam) of different texts, this way you can apply your knowledge of the metalanguage and link ideas across the subsystems together. If you can't be bothered writing up an analysis, you can just annotate and take note of what you would write in one. Our teacher has forced us to do this for variety of texts she gives us (blog, radio broadcast, letter, article, advertisement) and it has personally helped me tremendously! 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:21:09 pm by aqple »
VCE 2014 - English Language | English | Studio Arts | Psychology | Legal Studies

Currently studying B-Arts @ UoM

~Tutoring English Language [47] in 2015~
Offering online essay correction service/tutoring - PM for details

ealam2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:19 pm »
To do well in Eng Lang, you really need to keep on practicing your skills in essay writing and planning and answering short-answer questions within time limits. Watching the news and reading the newspaper as much as possible, ideally everyday, would be helpful in terms of finding examples of language use in the media which you can use in your essays.

Knowing how to pick up on certain things asked if you in short-answer questions like analysing discourse is beneficial.

In regards to the study guides, for 3&4 (not sure if applicable to 1&2), I was recommended Kirsten Fox's exam guide book and your textbook of course, Love the Lingo for units 1&2 and Living Lingo for 3&4.
Don't really know much about other study guides.

Oh and resources here on AN! :)

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:20:33 pm »
I'd recommend not cramming (at all whatsoever!). Also, 'Mastering Advanced English Language' is a great read.