Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:27 pm

Author Topic: Teacher rigging GA1  (Read 3534 times)  Share 

99.96 Please

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
Teacher rigging GA1
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »
Hey AN,

I've heard about this happening but I never thought it would happen to me. Basically, for all Chinese SL Unit 3 SACs so far, I have come first. Our entire cohort is only 10 people (it's a small school and they don't compare cross-campus) so I am definitely number one. However, because I haven't been doing so well with my homework (procrastination), my teacher has taken rank one from me, given it to another more studious student and is about to submit it to VCAA.

Keep in mind our school hasn't had a 40+ in years. This was my opportunity to a 40+ but if she gives me an A for GA1, it's all over. She already explicitly stated to the class that only one person will be getting an A+ and it will not necessarily be the one who has been acing the SACs. Then she looked at me.

Is there anything I can do? At all? As in, complain to VCAA or something? I am 100% desperate right now :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:46:19 pm by 99.96 Please »

Anthwax

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Kevington Grammar School
Re: Teacher rigging GA1
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »
Sorry if this is no help, but I don't think there's much you can do, considering the teacher is control of everything!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
You can still pull ahead of the curve with your exam, so I wouldn't stress.

Anthwax

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Kevington Grammar School
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:35 pm »
You can still pull ahead of the curve with your exam, so I wouldn't stress.

Not to discourage the OP or anything, but I've heard of people getting triple A+ in CSL and ending up with 38... obviously he's got his eyes set on 40+

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »
I'm sure you can take this further... As far as I know sometimes VCAA request SACs anyways, so maybe your teacher will get caught out later on!  :P
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »
+4
take home every copy of your sac, photocopy it, then tell VCAA ASAP and if they say "but she reported this score" show them the copies of your sacs and tell them the conversation that you just told us and they will audit the school.

Valyria

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »
+1
take home every copy of your sac, photocopy it, then tell VCAA ASAP and if they say "but she reported this score" show them the copies of your sacs and tell them the conversation that you just told us and they will audit the school.

If this doesn't warrant an audit then take this to a higher head of authority. Given that this isn't your day school, I'm not too sure on the hierarchical chain so I'd advise you to explain the situation to your parents. They'll most likely be prompted to take further action and ... no one likes angry parents :P
2014 ATAR: [99.20]
VCE English positions have been booked out for 2015.
2015: BCom/LLB @ Monash University

Original Poster

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »
I'm sure you can take this further... As far as I know sometimes VCAA request SACs anyways, so maybe your teacher will get caught out later on!  :P

Thanks for the reassurance! I can only hope, because I've worked long and hard to ace my U3 SACs, so I feel cheated :\

Here's where it gets complicated and unorthodox though... my teacher only told us our mark for SAC 1 (which I came first on).

For SAC 2, she refused to tell us, saying we would find out in December but we peeked at her papers when she left the room. We went through every SAC paper. Everyone's scores ranged from between 10-16 but I got 17. Again, rank one.

For SAC 3 (which was last week), I assume I either came first or second. There are three people in my class who are ranked near the top; let's call them Mary, John and Me. These names are fake, by the way.

Mary is usually pretty shy, so when she speaks, the teacher often can't hear her. Once, we had a practice oral exam and the teacher told her to speak up etc; I know this is a prejudiced assumption to make but call it gut feeling.

John is a good friend of mine, and we practiced a lot for SAC 3. I know that I prepared a lot more than him for the SAC and he said that he stumbled quite a few times during his SAC. Contrarily, my SAC went pretty smoothly.

TL;DR: My teacher is deliberately withholding the SACs so she can change shit :(

If this doesn't warrant an audit then take this to a higher head of authority. Given that this isn't your day school, I'm not too sure on the hierarchical chain so I'd advise you to explain the situation to your parents. They'll most likely be prompted to take further action and ... no one likes angry parents :P

Yep, it's a weekend Chinese school. Already told my parents, they don't really care, just told me to not worry so much about my grades.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:22:02 pm by Original Poster »

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »
+4
email VCAA asap and call them tomorrow and tell them everything (emphasize  the whole "the student who gets the best grades might not get the best rank" ) and dont mention the sac peeking. tell them that this is a continual threat the teacher does against you, and that though she might not think you study hard at school, you study for hours on end at home (which you probably do)

VCAA will probably audit it and if it doesnt then find individual people who are high up on the VCAA food chain and email and call personally

but email right now and call tomorrow and tell them everything

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:56:27 pm »
Unfortunately this happens quite a bit.

I know of several teachers who would return SACs with a score on it and then enter a totally different mark into the books.

If you suspect this is definitely the case, report the situation.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein