Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:31:43 pm

Author Topic: Structure  (Read 589 times)  Share 

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: Lakeview Senior College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Structure
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:04:29 am »
My teacher has given my class sample passages to base our essays on. I have my contention and I have an array of ideas. I just don't know how I should structure my paragraphs.

I have grown accustomed to writing a generic essay: topic sentence and three BPs (a method my teacher has drilled into our class). However, this year, my teacher said that this is NOT the structure we should use though did not explain the 'correct way'. After reading many of the sample essays, I realised that many do not have a topic sentence at the beginning of their paragraphs and others do not begin their essay with their contention (some don't even have an introduction!!). It is very daunting and a little intimidating as I am not familiar with this type of writing.

How often should I mention the passages? Should each of my paragraphs focus on one passage? Wouldn't this sound like 'three mini essays' (a critique made by the assessors in an examination report) Are we allowed to write the words 'our' or 'us' (we have been taught that this is acceptable)?

I am currently studying Two Brothers.

I would appreciate ANY help! Thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:06:09 am by Blondie21 »
'15 - '17: The University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Science

walkec

Re: Structure
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
+1
As annoying as this is, there is no "right way" to structure a Lit essay. My teacher told us that everyone's approach will be a bit different, so it's important that you practice in order to find your own voice, which will in turn make your essay distinct from everyone else's. As in any English subject, formulaic responses are discouraged, so it is crucial that you practice now in order to develop your own approach.

How I write my Lit essays may make little sense to you, but may make perfect sense to another. So there is little point asking your teacher, or anyone else the "right way" to structure a piece, because the simple answer is that there is no "right" way. When writing a passage analysis, you should use the passages given as a starting point for your discussion. Remember that you're not just using each passage to form your essay, you use them as a way to begin your discussion of the text  :) This means that if I was writing on the same passages, I may use a different part of the passage to open up my discussion from what you would, meaning that our pieces would go in different directions. This is good, and you almost want this to happen because it shows that we both have different interpretations (provided we use the text to support and validate these!)

So I would steer away from using one passage as a focus for each paragraph, because it would sound like "three mini essays". You should use the passages to construct an essay that is a logical progression of discussion. Think of the passages like a slab of concrete when building a house. You start with the slab of concrete, and then build upon the concrete with other building materials (the other building materials are other parts of the text). Worst analogy ever, but you get the idea  :)