Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:47:33 pm

Author Topic: Written component  (Read 2416 times)  Share 

Micheal Jackson

Written component
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »
Hey!
I was wondering if any of you past students would have tips on how you went about the written component in the exam? Did you memorise phrases for main topics? Also, my detailed study for this year is 'La nouvelle vague', do you guys have any wise words on what to say for the detailed study (we have just started, so im a tiny bit confused)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Written component
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »
Hey!
I was wondering if any of you past students would have tips on how you went about the written component in the exam? Did you memorise phrases for main topics? Also, my detailed study for this year is 'La nouvelle vague', do you guys have any wise words on what to say for the detailed study (we have just started, so im a tiny bit confused)

No point memorising phrases. Read a lot in French, write a lot in French. You're being tested on your ability to write, not your ability to remember phrases, so focus on that :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Micheal Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »
No point memorising phrases. Read a lot in French, write a lot in French. You're being tested on your ability to write, not your ability to remember phrases, so focus on that :)

Thanks! I have been reading a lot recently, so hopefully that will help :P

Micheal Jackson

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:18:09 pm »

Also, what qs did the examiners ask you during general convo?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:24:28 pm »
Also, what qs did the examiners ask you during general convo?

So they change it around a bit. It depends on how you're doing during the conversation. Mine went quite well (oral was always the component that worked best for me) so they started off with nice things asking me about what I wanted to do and so on, but then got into things like "quelle est la culture française ?", which according to the other assessors there is apparently quite a mean question. That's the only one I can remember though if I'm honest :p

Micheal Jackson

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:08:58 pm »
So they change it around a bit. It depends on how you're doing during the conversation. Mine went quite well (oral was always the component that worked best for me) so they started off with nice things asking me about what I wanted to do and so on, but then got into things like "quelle est la culture française ?", which according to the other assessors there is apparently quite a mean question. That's the only one I can remember though if I'm honest :p

You must have been going really well for them to throw in that qs!
Also, did you finish the entire schaum's guide before the exam? :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:59 pm »
+1
You must have been going really well for them to throw in that qs!
Also, did you finish the entire schaum's guide before the exam? :)

Never used it. I focused mainly on immersing myself in French and trying to incorporate it into my life.