Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:07:58 am

Author Topic: need advice  (Read 3912 times)  Share 

iamhellokitty

need advice
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:49:52 pm »
hello, i'm a newbie, who is in yr 10 who is doing a yr 11 subject this year but i don't know what to choose yet. :-\

So from you guys, can u tell me whether "accounting" is a good subject to choose and why.

-Is it/was it difficult?
- how was end of yr the exam?
- what are the topics you studied?
and anything else you would like to include.... tips etc

thankyou.  :coolsmiley:

jamesdrv

Re: need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »
If you're willing to work hard and perform well under exam pressure you should definitely do accounting. The course itself is relatively easy, but the exam can include some unexpected questions that may prove difficult under exam conditions.

brendan

azhtey

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:42:21 pm »
Its easy, but that said - its the easy mistakes that kill you.
"BROWS"

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »
Its easy, but that said - its the easy mistakes that kill you.

couldn't agree enough. in year 11 as long as you follow the teacher, understand the concepts and do the work, you should get pretty good marks. just don't bludge too much in class playing games lol. year 11 accounting for me wasn't difficult... i found it quite easy and studied least for it n got 90+ in everything ^^ if u do accounting don't neglect the theory side and it always help if you can write in the commerce language (which you will develop if you haven't already).
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:34 pm »
....commerce... language...? *blinks* Care to elaborate sheepz? Pretty please? XD
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:32:52 pm »
lol what i mean is like the identify, link stuff... like for accounting if they ask 'why should source documents be kept?' u answer by saying its verifiable and ensures relevance n explains what that means and then link it to source documents that kind of thing >.< maybe you don't think so, but in my brain that is call commerce language because i wouldn't usually write the way definitions need to be written =P
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:46:16 pm »
Haha, that sounds more like rote-learning to me.

There is no need to say "verifiable" and "ensures relevance" if you can think of your own way of saying it. I remember shunning someone who rote-learned a definition for catalyst in Chemistry. How hard can it be? It's just a something that speeds up the rate of reaction by reducing the energy required for activation. The rote-learned answer had pretentious terms like the "activated complex." Unnecessary.

I thought you meant accounting jargon (i.e.: ledgers... that's about all I know LOL - not an accountant).

jamesdrv

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:20 pm »
Haha, that sounds more like rote-learning to me.

There is no need to say "verifiable" and "ensures relevance" if you can think of your own way of saying it. I remember shunning someone who rote-learned a definition for catalyst in Chemistry. How hard can it be? It's just a something that speeds up the rate of reaction by reducing the energy required for activation. The rote-learned answer had pretentious terms like the "activated complex." Unnecessary.

You would need to mention "relevance" as it is a qualitative characteristic, and a question like that is essentially testing your knowledge of them. In accounting (probably in other VCE subjects too) the examiners look for key-words in responses and this dictates how many marks a response is given. For example, the definition of NRV must included "estimated selling price" rather than just "selling price". I'm not having a go at you, but you should be careful when giving advice to VCE students  as many subjects require a more "superficial" understanding of the course in order for the student to excel.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 08:43:40 pm »
*Sudden understanding*

Lolz, thx I was confuzled 4 a minute. We all have our little names for things. Applexy uses 'dr crediting' or something for the ledger (presumably to remember that debits are on the left and credits on the right), and then there's all the random acronyms and crazy rhymes I used :laugh:
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:45:04 pm »
Keywords may be an easy way to score marks, but it may not be the easiest way to understand it all. If you understand it all in your own words, and they mean the same, there should be no problem.

"Estimated selling price" and "selling price" are clearly different. The latter is missing a piece of information.

If there are particular terms that have been adopted to have new or specific meaning in Accounting, then it qualifies as jargon (as you suggest "relevance" is).

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:59:06 pm »
For me I don't find it very hard to memorise definitions (well, the key words in a definition) so I normally do that and then in the end what I write out is the same as the one in the textbook lol. I suppose I prefer rote learning because then I feel more confident and secure that I'm right rather than writing something I made up because I would be paranoid that what I thought was right all along turns out to be wrong and I lose marks for that... for subjects like Chemistry though it is not based on definitions as much as commerce subjects are so I wouldn't memorise definitions unless if I tried and really can't think up my own one
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting