Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:14:42 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261360 times)  Share 

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #900 on: November 18, 2020, 02:48:04 pm »
+3
How much time would you recommend spending on the 10 marker?

1.2 marks per minute
~12-15 minutes (can go up to 20 if you feel have time- finish other questions earlier)
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

02hi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #901 on: November 18, 2020, 06:06:44 pm »
Hi, when a question asks us to link back to human development and how it impacts human development (much like health and wellbeing and its dimensions) do we discuss, being knowledgeable, a long and healthy life and a decent standard of living?

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #902 on: November 18, 2020, 06:47:29 pm »
+4
Hi, when a question asks us to link back to human development and how it impacts human development (much like health and wellbeing and its dimensions) do we discuss, being knowledgeable, a long and healthy life and a decent standard of living?

Those are the dimensions of the human development index. Human development usually refers to:
- lead long and healthy lives
- lead productive and creative lives according to their own needs and interests
- participate in decisions that affect their lives
- participate in the community
- have access to knowledge and expand their choices and capabilities
- have access to resources needed for a decent standard of living

This is a question from the VCAA 2019 exam 13c. Explain how the program on page 20 promotes human development.

The program provides these girls in Kibera with the ability to go to school and therefore increases their access to knowledge, which they can then use to get a job and earn an income, improving their standard of living, and by being the first in their families to attend university, they will have their choices and capabilities expanded (the range of things they can be and do, instead of becoming a sex worker).

So I would refer to these factors instead (:

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #903 on: November 20, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
Hey guys! I was wondering what the sweet spot for practice exams are? I'm starting HHD 3/4 the coming week and I'm wondering if I should buy more praccy exams. I currently have the VCAA exams and 6 my school will give me next year :)
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #904 on: December 15, 2020, 04:25:53 pm »
+3
Hey! :)

It honestly depends on what you think is best; the number of practice exams you do doesn't always correlate to a study score. It's more about how you use them. Personally, I don't think you need to go overboard with the number of practice exams you get and would suggest buying more practice exams if you feel you need them once you have completed the ones provided by your school and the VCAA exams. My school gave my HHD cohort about the same number of exams and we had people who did them all and ended up with great study scores.

VCAA exams are the gold standard, but if you're looking for more exams, some good ones are Health Teachers' Network, QATS, ACED and ACHPER.

Good luck with HHD! If you put solid effort into the subject, you'll be sweet 8)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #905 on: December 17, 2020, 08:08:59 pm »
Hey! :)

It honestly depends on what you think is best; the number of practice exams you do doesn't always correlate to a study score. It's more about how you use them. Personally, I don't think you need to go overboard with the number of practice exams you get and would suggest buying more practice exams if you feel you need them once you have completed the ones provided by your school and the VCAA exams. My school gave my HHD cohort about the same number of exams and we had people who did them all and ended up with great study scores.

VCAA exams are the gold standard, but if you're looking for more exams, some good ones are Health Teachers' Network, QATS, ACED and ACHPER.

Good luck with HHD! If you put solid effort into the subject, you'll be sweet 8)
Thank you soo much lm!!! Do you have any tips on study methods for HHD? What you did to remember content and key defs, study rituals for sacs, etc. ?

lm21074

• Forum Leader
« Reply #906 on: December 17, 2020, 11:13:51 pm »
+3
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt, because my study score isn’t looking good atm! Also, what worked for me may not work for you!

Study methods
Overall, know the content really well and practice applying it so you can apply it really well during SACs and exams. Here’s how I tried to do that.

Holidays
Things that would be helpful:
- Make flashcards for definitions and revise consistently – I personally used Quizlet to make flashcards for the definitions of the dimensions and indicators. I included cues – e.g. Aspects of spiritual health and wellbeing (5) (Note: when linking to dimensions, mentioning aspects that might be in your textbook – e.g. strong immune system for physical health and wellbeing – can make it easier to make the links).
- Revise them over the holiday period to get them into your long-term memory so that the relearning process over the year takes less time.

Learning the content
At the start of the year, my class used the “flipped classroom method” – taking notes for the upcoming lesson(s) at home as a form of learning the content and then the teacher goes over the content in class very quickly, so we have more time to do questions. A benefit of this method is that you can use class time for consolidation as you’re not learning content for the first time. As a potential downside, it takes time outside class to do your notes beforehand. Alternatively, another way you could learn the content is to read the textbook, do the review questions and then make notes as a way of consolidation. Or even doing a light reading of the textbook before class.

You can definitely keep up by simply going to class and being exposed to the content for the first time, rather than doing notes at home. It’s up to you! :)

Notes
Closed book notes at home might be useful – the idea of this is to read a section of the textbook, close it, and make notes based on what you remember. This isn’t the greatest use of time when you have to copy a definition word-for-word into your notes but is more of an “active recall” strategy to test yourself, rather than mindlessly copy chunks of text, which might make the content stick better. Also, make your notes short (or have very detailed notes and summarise them by using revision strategies like the ones I mention below). I made mine really long at times, which wasn’t entirely helpful come SAC time because I would only little bits of those notes.
Formatting – tables, especially for the factors section in U3 AOS 1 (DP 5), can make a world of difference to your revision. It’s so much easier to pick out factors by looking at a table than looking at giant blobs of text. Some of the factors, particularly biological, are the same for different population groups which can give you less to memorise.

Revision – revise consistently and give yourself time before a SAC (something I didn’t do and regret)!
Summary sheets – I mentioned having really long notes at the beginning. This is where summary sheets can be helpful. Before a SAC, I made summary sheets for each dot point / concept in a dot point (depending on how much content there was in a dot point). Usually when I made these, I’d try to refer to my notes as little as possible (this is almost what I did for the mind-maps albeit in a slightly different way). Also, with them being summary sheets, I'd try to write as concisely as possible and aim to use one page per dot point or concept depending on the amount of content I needed to cover.

what I'd include on a summary sheet
e.g. WHO Prerequisite for health: Peace
- Definition
- How it promotes each dimension of health and wellbeing (in point form) and health status (you can come up with points on the spot during a SAC but I guess it helps to have prior exposure beforehand).

Something I should also mention here is to use the Key Skills section of the study design.

For instance, one of the key skills for U3 AOS 1 is identify the WHO’s prerequisites for health and explain their links to improved health outcomes.

This is asking you to link the prerequisites health status and health and wellbeing. A question type that has appeared in past exams is to link how the prerequisites can act as a resource for optimal health individually, nationally and globally. Here, you end up doing what the Key Skills mention - linking to health outcomes.

- Mind-maps – I mentioned having really long notes. With mind-maps, I picked a dot point and wrote everything I knew about that dot point on a piece of paper. Then, going through my notes, I added information that I may have missed or didn’t know in a different coloured pen. Rinse and repeat.

- Teach others (or your wall) - something I did often is explain the content to my bedroom wall without notes (my dog would rather play than listen to me talk about HHD :( ). The process of verbalizing what you've learnt can help you pick up what you do and don't know.

- Past SACs – Doing these in timed conditions once you’ve finished revising for a SAC (or even before to see what you know). Mark them yourself and then getting your teacher to mark it if you’d like can serve as a greater learning experience.

- Have examples for everything – YouTube is an awesome platform for this, especially in U4 (I’ll have to make a post soon with YouTube links relating to the content for HHD). To see something you’ve read about in a textbook in the real world helps it make more sense and can act as an aid in remembering the content.

- Practice questions – after learning the content, I would do the textbook questions that my teacher assigned as a form of testing and applying my knowledge (if you have the Jacaranda book, excuse the reference). The application questions of the textbook are usually the better ones, especially as you approach U3 AOS 2. These textbook questions do not mimic SAC / exam-style questions incredibly well so that was a downside. My school encouraged us to do the textbook questions but I'd recommend doing practice exam questions instead. A useful way of doing this for me was, in class, we were given a practice VCAA question based on what we’d covered in class that week and we’d answer it within a time limit (HHD timing-wise is 1.2 minutes a mark, so you can gradually ease into this and give yourself more time if need be and perhaps even give yourself slightly less time as you approach the exam (but the latter isn’t incredibly necessary). Afterwards, we’d mark our own response based on the exam report and then give it to someone else to mark to see if they’d agree. This helped to prime me for answering exam questions.

- Don’t be afraid to ask for help / clarification!

Answering questions in a nutshell
Break down mark allocation – say you’re presented with the following question:
Jett is a 23-year-old who has been experiencing migraines since he was 15-years-old. He has visited his GP, who has prescribed him pain relief medication for his migraines. Over time, John has developed the ability to identify what triggers his migraines and recognise their onset. Jesminder is 12-years-old and recently experienced her first migraine, which she found to be extremely painful.  Using the scenario, describe how health and wellbeing is considered to be dynamic and subjective. (4 marks)
Possible mark allocation
- 2 marks – describe how h&w is considered to be dynamic (with a link to both Jett and Jesminder’s situation)  - mention definition of dynamic in a h&w context
- 2 marks – describe how h&w is considered to be subjective (with a link to both Jett and Jesminder’s situation) – mention definition of subjective in a h&w context

- Use modals –  “could impact”, “can contribute to”
- Use shorthand (write in full first) – e.g. “physical h+w” instead of “which promotes physical health and wellbeing” – saves time. Fun fact: the abbreviations DALY and HALE are already accepted according to the study design so you don't have to write these out in full (Yay! 8))

tl;dr:
-   Revise consistently
-   Practice consistently

It's getting a bit late so I'll stop here, but hope this helps! :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:40:49 pm by lm21074 »

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #907 on: December 21, 2020, 06:00:40 pm »
+2
Hey LM! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for such a DETAILED response! I will be rereading this over the holidays and next year using it like a HHD bible. I'm soo grateful!

I just have one question.. where do I stop with the definitions? Do I need to know the definitions of the WHO prereqs like peace and shelter and all? Also, many teachers are providing different definitions for emotional health and wellbeing.. which one is the right one?

lm21074

• Forum Leader
« Reply #908 on: December 21, 2020, 07:19:29 pm »
+3
No worries! Hope you find it useful :)

In SACs and the exam, you're generally asked to explain prerequisites, so knowing a definition for each can be helpful. The definitions are fairly self-explanatory, but make sure you understand them before you memorise them!

VCAA has definitions for the dimensions here. I'm pretty sure these are the ones in the Jacaranda textbook (not too sure about the others).

Hope this helps :)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #909 on: January 08, 2021, 04:17:07 pm »
No worries! Hope you find it useful :)

In SACs and the exam, you're generally asked to explain prerequisites, so knowing a definition for each can be helpful. The definitions are fairly self-explanatory, but make sure you understand them before you memorise them!

VCAA has definitions for the dimensions here. I'm pretty sure these are the ones in the Jacaranda textbook (not too sure about the others).

Hope this helps :)
Thank you LM!!!! Your responses have been a lifesaver throughout the holidays! Do you suggest any external resources for practice questions or do you think the textbook questions are enough?

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #910 on: January 08, 2021, 04:22:57 pm »
+3
Do you suggest any external resources for practice questions or do you think the textbook questions are enough?
I'm gonna barge in here sorry; personally, I do not think the textbook questions are enough nor a good representation for what to expect in SACs / the exam.
My school provided us with an exam mega pack which consists of commercial exam questions, this may not be available to you. So I would recommend checkpoints (2019 onwards) as they are usually pretty good.
I would recommend asking your teachers for practice sacs and relevant exam questions to study for SACs
Hope this helps and all the best :)
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #911 on: February 22, 2021, 08:22:25 pm »
Hi guys :)

Regarding questions that ask to identify a prerequisite and link it to improved health outcomes or contribute to individual/national/global health and wellbeing do you always have to link it to a specific dimension of health?

Thanks!
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

lm21074

• Forum Leader
« Reply #912 on: February 22, 2021, 09:02:08 pm »
+1
Hey scientificllama,

A discussion similar to your question was mentioned in the previous few pages. This is a great reply from T&S.
For the impact on individual/national/global health often it is easier to explain how it improves 'health' by linking it to a dimension ;)

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #913 on: February 22, 2021, 11:23:45 pm »
+1
Hey scientificllama,

A discussion similar to your question was mentioned in the previous few pages. This is a great reply from T&S.

Let's ignore that I said health instead of health & wellbeing :P :P
I promise I know what I'm talking about
I agree with my past self, yes you should link it back to a specific dimension when you see 'improved health outcomes' that is a trigger to discuss the dimension :)
- T&S
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #914 on: February 23, 2021, 10:47:18 am »
Let's ignore that I said health instead of health & wellbeing :P :P
I promise I know what I'm talking about
I agree with my past self, yes you should link it back to a specific dimension when you see 'improved health outcomes' that is a trigger to discuss the dimension :)
- T&S

Awesome :)
Thank you guys so much for the help!
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D