Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:34 am

Author Topic: Language analysis l Angry Young men  (Read 401 times)  Share 

aaziz17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Sirius College
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Language analysis l Angry Young men
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »
Need help correcting what Ive wrote.  Looking to improve my language analysis for year 12. Sorry im in a bit of a rush and havent proofread. Also have any ideas on what i could write about for another paragraph?Thank you very much in advance.

Ps. Is using the same word twice in essay alright? i feel that when i do it shows that i do not have a good vocabulary

Article Link: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/angry-young-man-problem-crosses-cultures-20141016-1175iz.html

“The vast majority of young men are, at any given moment, just a few behavioural leaps away from doing something very, very stupid.” A statement made by a close male friend of Jacqueline Maley while watching news reports of Afghan born teen killed after stabbing two police officer. This prompted her to investigate the accuracy of the claim. Jacqueline in a sympathetic manner attempts to heighten the reader’s sense of understanding she argues that it is ones circumstances which dictate the course of their actions placing us in no position to judge.

The headline of the article “Angry Young Man Problem Crosses Cultures” suggests that violence is occurring over all cultures and not just young Muslims. The Image supports her argument that every culture has its angry young men. The image containing 3 ferocious looking young men of three different ethnic backgrounds suggests to the audience that it’s not only Muslims that have angry men in their culture. This broadens the readers mind and gives them a different perspective that enables them to analyse circumstance differently.

Maley suggests that we Australians may be the root cause of all this violence.  The author accuses Australians by stating that “angry, stupid and destructive young manhood is something Australia does rather well”. This coerces the reader to accept that they are part of the problem. Furthermore The emotive language used when describing how Australia thought the Vietnamese immigrants of Cabramatta would 'poison' Australian society creates the impression that the fear possessed by the Australian public inhibits our ability to fully understand their circumstances, hence she condemns those who do so and encourages them to no longer view these misfortunate boys as detrimental to Australian society. Moreover, by stating they 'also' were sons of immigrants, the author creates the impression that there is a pattern which formulates violent rebellious young boys. Therefore, she invokes a sense of responsibility towards the reader and positions them to feel that if this pattern is identified then it is their responsibility to prevent further cases of rebellious boys from other cultures to emerge. Thus she attempts to persuade the reader to take a stance and take action. Jacqueline’s compares the situation of the young Muslim men of today and the Vietnamese boys of 1990’s to the reader to further convince to the audience that alienated young men of any culture may end up expressing their alienation through violent means.  This further increases the readers understanding by making obvious links of circumstances between both cultures.

Class of 2015 | English | Methods | Further | Bio| Accounting|