Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 06:48:30 pm

Author Topic: Tips for a good study score <3  (Read 5397 times)  Share 

lolaishappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Art | English | Math Methods | Physics | Furthers
  • Respect: 0
  • School: BBC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Tips for a good study score <3
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:02:20 pm »
Heyo, Im going into year 12 art soon, and was abit worried about getting good grades on this subject. I do further, methods, english, physics and art.

The thing is that I'm worried about art getting brushed aside with other workloads, especially the theory.. My teacher seems passive sometimes so motivation wont come easy.

However I'm keen to know what you guys do to keep on top of art and how to improve. Hopefully others could relate to this demeanor  8) (Terms of theory not folios) TY! XX

Also does our folio count towards our atar, if so how much % of it?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:08:11 pm by lolaishappy »
Newb coming through

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Tips for a good study score <3
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:35:22 pm »
+3
Hi there :)

I did Art back in 2013, and to be honest the theory aspect really wasn't difficult. Familiarise yourself with the format and content of exams early on and you should be fine. The short answer questions are just stock visual analyses with occasional commentaries or framework guidelines to direct your discussion, and the "essay topics" are usually something to the tune of 'write about stuff you learnt this year.'

Each school organises SACs differently so I can't say much there. It might be worth pestering (nicely!) your teacher for more information; I really regret not doing this since my teacher gave us little to no warning about the date of the assessment, let alone the task.

The practical component is definitely more important and time-consuming, and my best advice there would be do start finalising your folio a week or more before it's due. So many people (myself included) leave it till a few days before to actually collate annotations and put everything together. If your luck, the folio will be due at a time when you don't have a pile of other SACs to wade through, but if your teacher schedules it during busy weeks, you don't want to be cutting and pasting while revising for methods tests and english essays. The more work you do early in the year, the easier time you'll have closer to the due dates.

Re: mark breakdown, from what I gather, prac and theory are 50/50 each, but the folio is worth 40%, your final pieces are worth 10% (but these are mainly judged by the quality of your folio anyway.) SACs are 25% and the exam 30% - whether this has changed, or varies from school to school I can't say. (VCE Art is not one of the better organised subjects :P)

If you're really worried about theory feel free to post questions. I wouldn't stress too much though. Provided you're a competent writer and have a good bank of art terminology to draw from, it's just a matter of practice :)

lolaishappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Re: Tips for a good study score &lt;3
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:26:01 pm »
Hi there :)

I did Art back in 2013, and to be honest the theory aspect really wasn't difficult. Familiarise yourself with the format and content of exams early on and you should be fine. The short answer questions are just stock visual analyses with occasional commentaries or framework guidelines to direct your discussion, and the "essay topics" are usually something to the tune of 'write about stuff you learnt this year.'

Each school organises SACs differently so I can't say much there. It might be worth pestering (nicely!) your teacher for more information; I really regret not doing this since my teacher gave us little to no warning about the date of the assessment, let alone the task.

The practical component is definitely more important and time-consuming, and my best advice there would be do start finalising your folio a week or more before it's due. So many people (myself included) leave it till a few days before to actually collate annotations and put everything together. If your luck, the folio will be due at a time when you don't have a pile of other SACs to wade through, but if your teacher schedules it during busy weeks, you don't want to be cutting and pasting while revising for methods tests and english essays. The more work you do early in the year, the easier time you'll have closer to the due dates.

Re: mark breakdown, from what I gather, prac and theory are 50/50 each, but the folio is worth 40%, your final pieces are worth 10% (but these are mainly judged by the quality of your folio anyway.) SACs are 25% and the exam 30% - whether this has changed, or varies from school to school I can't say. (VCE Art is not one of the better organised subjects )

If you're really worried about theory feel free to post questions. I wouldn't stress too much though. Provided you're a competent writer and have a good bank of art terminology to draw from, it's just a matter of practice :)
Thanks for info ^

I was also wondering do the assessors like a creative style of writing or a text response type? Like in English text response we write like academics. Is it the same for art? Like in the personal and cultural framework, can the writing style be a bit like context. I always seem to write like I really appreciate art lol
Newb coming through

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Tips for a good study score <3
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:18 pm »
+1
Thanks for info ^

I was also wondering do the assessors like a creative style of writing or a text response type? Like in English text response we write like academics. Is it the same for art? Like in the personal and cultural framework, can the writing style be a bit like context. I always seem to write like I really appreciate art lol

That's tricky to say since there aren't really any rules to govern how you write in Context, so comparing anything to it is a bit difficult. You're certainly expected to write an academic/ analytical piece (so no full blown short stories about how the paintings make you feel) but you aren't restricted by an English Text Response's structural preferences (ie. no need for official intro/conclusion/topic sentences, though you might find them helpful all the same.)
Writing like you appreciate the art is great, but you need to be able to back up your interpretations. It's one thing to use the Personal Framework to say 'this scupture evokes feelings of ___ and ___' and another to say 'this sculpture evokes feelings of ___ and ___ through its use of...'

I guess the closest English equivalent would be a mix between a Text Response and a Language Analysis, being as descriptive as possible at every turn. There are a few good(-ish) samples in the Assessor's Reports, so you could refer to them if you need :)

lolaishappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Re: Tips for a good study score &lt;3
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:06:17 pm »
That's tricky to say since there aren't really any rules to govern how you write in Context, so comparing anything to it is a bit difficult. You're certainly expected to write an academic/ analytical piece (so no full blown short stories about how the paintings make you feel) but you aren't restricted by an English Text Response's structural preferences (ie. no need for official intro/conclusion/topic sentences, though you might find them helpful all the same.)
Writing like you appreciate the art is great, but you need to be able to back up your interpretations. It's one thing to use the Personal Framework to say 'this scupture evokes feelings of ___ and ___' and another to say 'this sculpture evokes feelings of ___ and ___ through its use of...'

I guess the closest English equivalent would be a mix between a Text Response and a Language Analysis, being as descriptive as possible at every turn. There are a few good(-ish) samples in the Assessor's Reports, so you could refer to them if you need :)
Thanks Lauren :^)
Newb coming through