Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:47:53 am

Author Topic: PSA: WolframAlpha step-by-step solutions  (Read 12909 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
PSA: WolframAlpha step-by-step solutions
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:12 pm »
+14
Noticing the amount of fairly "simple" (compared to exam-standard!) calculus and algebraic simplification questions being posted these days, I think a lot of people would benefit from the 'step-by-step' solutions so they can discover solving these for themselves :) Step-by-step used to be free, but became a Pro feature last year, this is a neat get-a-round that works (I have tried and can confirm) that hopefully makes your maths a little easier!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:23:51 pm by pi »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: PSA: WolframAlpha step-by-step solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:33:23 pm »
+5
Go pi! The man with the plan~

For those who have access to a copy of Mathematica, you can also use the command:
Code: [Select]
WolframAlpha["stuff"]To search Wolfram Alpha for the given command. This method works like having a pro subscription, so you can use it for step-by-step solutions.
More info here.

Also, for issues with just differentiation, this not only calculates the derivative and double derivative of a function, but shows you the steps it took to get there. I don't know of any for integrals, though, except Wolfram.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:45:41 pm »
Out of curiosity, does the iPad version of WolframAlpha differ much in terms of "Step-by-Step Solutions" in comparison to the desktop version?

Stevensmay

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:35:56 am »
+3
Out of curiosity, does the iPad version of WolframAlpha differ much in terms of "Step-by-Step Solutions" in comparison to the desktop version?

On Android the app does exactly the same step-by-step solution, I imagine the iPad app is the same.

Pi, maybe include that you can buy the app as a once off rather than the monthly subscription for the website?
It does pretty much the same thing.

wobblywobbly

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:23:21 pm »
On Android the app does exactly the same step-by-step solution, I imagine the iPad app is the same.

Pi, maybe include that you can buy the app as a once off rather than the monthly subscription for the website?
It does pretty much the same thing.

After having bought the app a few years ago, I can confirm that the paid app does indeed provide the full step-by-step solution.
:)

Stevensmay

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:33 am »
+1
A relatively new entrant is https://www.symbolab.com/

I've found it handles most of the questions W|A does, it is especially nice to have it available for free on a computer.
Certainly anything at a VCE/first year uni level should be fine.

anon101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »
Students get Wolfram Alpha free!!! So most students should be able to use that for it, right?